Pedal Wah or Auto-Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sir Psycho, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Pedal Wah

28 vote(s)
  2. Auto-Wah

14 vote(s)
  1. Sir Psycho

Sir Psycho

Mar 20, 2001
    Which one do you prefer to be used with bass?

Also, what is the difference between auto-wah and envelope filter/follower?
  2. An envelope filter/follower and an auto wah are the same thing, but calling it an auto wah is sort of dumbing it down. I prefer envelope filters to wah-wah pedals because you have the filter sound you want right when you step on a foot switch with the paremeters already set in place... Much better then parking a wah into place with an expression pedal IMO.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I use envelope filters and a 105-Q wah. They are for different things, both are, in a way expression pedals. the wah pedal gives you real time control over what is happening, the stomp box is more static until you bend over and adjust the parameters. Apples to Oranges, I think.
  4. wow that was a bit of an oblivious post.. There is a reason that envelope filters and auto-wahs have a different name. They are different things.. An auto-wah provides a set wah on each note that you play, while an envelope filter responds to different levels of attack differently. Sometimes they can have a very similar effect, but certainly not the same. Perhaps some brands are mistakingly calling their pedals wrong or something... or maybe I am just misinformed, but either way that is what I think to be true.

5. your right drake, an auto wah and an envelope filter are two totally different things. A auto wah should always have a speed setting and will not change by how hard you play... there are exceptions to this including touch wahs which are practically envelope filters but are not touch sensitive. I like envelope filters better then any form of wah but pedal wahs are vastly superior to a normal auto wah or touch wah...
  6. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    pedal wah, a little more controled than just a repetative odd sound
  7. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    BTW, who sells the better pedal wah for bass? Still Dunlop or has something better come about?
  8. there are better ones out there but the dunlop imo is the best for the money
  9. Pedal wah, just cuz thats all I ever used.
  10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Haven't heard one yet but I am probably gonna buy a new Morley PBA-2 bass wah as soon as they come to town. They are supposed to have two different wah modes -- can't wait to hear it! Supposed to be at MF on 2/12/02.

I have an ancient MWR envelope filter but it's too persnickety for me -- you change the vlume on the bass and the whole thing goes out of whack. At least it came with a rubber boot for the sensitivity knob so you could turn it with your foot, but I never could get it to sound any good. To me, it's also a hugely dated sound and I like the control of a wah pedal better now.
  11. I like the pedal wah myself(I own a 105q).as already said here envelope filters,auto-wah and touch wah are different animals...that being said,has anyone tried the new tech 21 killer wail wah? they claim it can be used for guitar or bass and has different modes,and the discription in musican's friend sounds like it has true bypass.and with all that chrome it looks bad ass
  12. Auto-wah voted since that's what I use. It really boils down to what styles you play in. To me, the last great use of a wah by a bassist was 1971 (Greg Lake on ELP's "Pictures at an Exhibition"). With the groove being paramount, auto-wahs will give you consistency. Just my $.02 here.
  13. what do you prefer ?

a van or a pickup truck ?

autowah and pedal wah are totally different. you cannot compare them to eachother.
  14. meh... i think an auto wah and pedal wah are relatively the same but a wah and an envelope filter on the other hand cannot be compared to each other.