1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard Angle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andvari7, Sep 16, 2008.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    If this isn't the correct place for this topic, I apologize.

Anyway, for those who have pedalboards that lift the pedals off the ground, and at an angle: at what angle is the work surface situated?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used about 5" of pipe as legs for my board. Not too sharp, but ample room for a power supply and stuff.

3. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    My god, that is absolutely brilliant. I would like to see a photo of this, if possible.

4. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    With pedal to for size reference:
    Photo24.

Side - note the angle. Very comfortable to use imo.
    Photo39.

Plenty of room underneath for all of your powering needs and even some extra room for clearance:
    Photo85.

And this is how I did it:
    Photo86.

I removed the actual rubber foot (which was better than any of the other rubber feet I found in stores). I added a stainless steel plumbing flange, used 4.5" of plumbing piping (nipple), and just used a brass cap at the end on which I screwed the rubber foot.

If you've ever built anything with 4 legs, you'd know how hard it is to make all legs even, so you can also see how I added washers (alternating rubber and metal) to add a bit of length to this leg. Balances perfectly. Sturdy as hell, too.

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    On second thought, I think that it's 5.5", but remember that the legs are at an angle - not straight - so a little of the height is lost.

6. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    As robust as that is, I'm sure it will be overkill for my needs. I suspect my projekt will involve more carpentry, and less plumbing.

7. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Overkill? It's like $15 and a drill. Plus, it weighs less than adding wood.

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Well, I wasn't taking cost into consideration. I was really more referring to the weight - are pipes really lighter than blocks of wood? - and the microadjustments needed to do it properly. But, now that I think about it, it seems like it would be a pretty good idea.

9. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just happened to have those washers on hand - no micro adjusting necessary.

The pipes are much more sturdy than woodblocks of comparable size. You're gonna be stepping on this thing, remember.

What kind of wood are we talking about? Would you be using a wedge of wood along the sides of the board or what?

10. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Hey Spanky, are you sure that board is big enough? I think you need more room for pedals.... :bag:

:D:D:D

11. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey man... at least we'll have something nice to perch stuff on this weekend. ;)

12. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Remind me to bring the mp3 of "Footstompin' Music" :D

13. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    For some reason I'm now expecting you to bring some jug-style country music.

14. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Umm, no.....

Maybe a jug of tequila... ;)

15. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Maybe we should hang out more often... ;)