Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PedalBoard: Build or Buy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sutton, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Build it!

90 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Buy it!

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Some pedal boards are outragously priced. Some of the nicer ones are prices as high as 300 dollars. Basically, I have found a few cheap ones, basically ones from rondo music. Should I just go ahead and buy me one of those for 35 bucks plus shipping? Or do you recommend that I should just make my own? Will it be cheaper to make my own? I've alreay have a daisy chain and stuff, so I dont need a power supply. I just dont want to spend money on something that I can throw together in an hour for 15 bucks in wood and nails.

2. I built my first one. it worked pretty good. I took my time building it, but I couldnt get the latchs to hold properly for the top and it fell off a few times so I bought an NYC pedal board which I am hoping to get in the mail pretty soon.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You'll pretty much get raped by pedalboard sellers, so your best bet is making one. When making your own, you can make it your own size, ya know?

Also, be aware that pedalboard makers don't show the pedals with the cords in them. Cords take up quite a bit of space.

4. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Rugged American individualism says build your own.

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    [​IMG]

I made this one for about $20, and I bought a Musician's Friend Keyboard case for another $20 to fit it in.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I built my own as well. Rather similar to Dano's, except a little smaller. No pics, but I can give you one piece of advice... don't buy your wood from Lowes.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Why not?

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I had built a pretty decent one back when I only had a few pedals, covered it with carpet and it covered all the cables, etc.. and tie-wrapped down the adapter and stuff, but when I got more stuff, I needed some more room and like being able to close up my board, so I spent a little money and got one from NYC Pedalboards. Cheap, reliable, and has held up without a hitch for almost 3 years now. I'll definitely get a custom made to house my MIDI board whenever I get my Eventide and don't need all these silly "pedals" anymore... ;) Hehehehe. Definitely look them up.

10. I built mine (wish I knew how to put up pics in this place!)

Simple: but works...

piece of plywood (£7 - actually got a better size offcut after looking around for £2)

Primer (£not sure... my parents got us some)

metalic paint (£4)

Velcro (£2)

Power bank (£20)

3-5 days cutting/painting/sanding/arranging (letting it dry in between)

It Works fine (Mines only a simple one mind you - no lid/layers or anything)

...I'm not much of a pedal guy really, but I've got 24 presets each of the 4 basic effect types (driv, dly, rverb, mod) at my feet if ever I need them, just need a looper and I'm sorted except for perhaps a vox wah-wah... :ninja:

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Those are some of the highest prices I've seen for pedal boards.

Sure they look nice... and some of the features are great...

but... damn..

My first was built.. It fell apart after a year, mainly 'cause of the parts I used..

My current one was about $100 from DC Case Co for a 35x15 board... too bad they are no longer with us. Great case...

If I get a new one, I might try the idea of getting a keyboard case or big bag, and making a board to fit inside of it...

Or just retro-fitting a keyboard case with split hinges.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

No, they really aren't. Plus I've had mine for 2+ years now and it looks like the day I got it. No carpet coming up, loose screws, anything. It's a rock. I HIGHLY recommend these.

14. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    What is that Trace looking pedal you have on there, just a regular EQ?

15. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I voted "Buy it!" because I just built my own, and it was a chore!

But, I wanted to try my idea of a board with a flat front. Has this been done before?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More info, and photos, here.

And no, I haven't gigged with it yet. I just finished building it today. It took about four days to build....

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me a board is worthless without a solid case to carry it.
    I didn't bother building one. It would cost about the same price as buying it and it wouldn't be half as well constructed.
    I paid 80 for mine.

17. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I voted Build it. It may not be for everyone else. I know what I want, and I can't buy it. I'll let you know when I'm done.

I built a simpler version of my board, but I'm getting a couple more pedals and I want to make the board more durable and easier to transport.

We'll see how it comes out.

18. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I sprung for a Radial Boneyard, and it is very well made. I could have built an amazing facsimile for about half the price, or two of them for the same dough. But the carpet on the radial is bombproof and it is well built. I don't regret the purchase one bit and that board sees a lot of use.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

oops, sorry for the late reply...

the wood sucks, every piece had a little chunk missing out of it, be it knot hole or a crappy cut. Speaking of, I bought a finished board (pine) and it wasn't level at the edges.

20. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Really top-notch looking job. Congratulations.