1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedalboard conundrum

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Feb 26, 2017.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've got a Pedaltrain Jr. with hard case, and it's always been more than enough.
    However, I just started using a micro amp, and just picked up a road-heavy gig.
    I don't want to buy a roadcase for a micro amp, so I got the idea to clear some space in the pedalboard case and stow the amp in there.
    Sadly, it doesn't work. Not enough clearance.
    So I'm thinking of buying a smaller board and using it in the hardcase.
    I was looking at the Metro 16, which would fit all my pedals, but wouldn't fit my Pedal Power 2.
    So does anyone have a recommendation for a smaller board that will hold the Voodoo underneath, or
    Does anyone have a good suggestion for how to raise the back of a Metro 16 high enough to hold a Pedal Power 2 underneath?

And we're balling on a budget, sub $100, so there's that.
    I'll likely snag the Metro 16 and make a trip to the hardware store for long screws, nylon spacers, and new feet, but i'm curious if anyone has a more "elegant" solution.
    Thanks!

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    You could go to Partsexpress.com and buy taller feet for the back.

Or cut a piece of plywood the size of your pedals and power supply, and use that... $0 - $10 tops.

3. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    New feet on a metro board is a good idea or if you must have a new pedalboard then check out the Accel XTA-10 Pro Compact. It was under $100 on amerzon and erbay last time I checked. I ordered the XTA-15 but it hasn't arrived so I cant speak of the quality or how it compares in elegance to a Pedaltrain.

4. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I looked at the Accel boards and what turns me off is the inability to hide/route cables. All cables will be on top of the board, and take up room, making the board layout far more inefficient than if i used a Pedaltrain or some other board that let me route cables under it.
    Other than that, the Accel does look pretty solid.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What about buying a deeper case that would fit everything? Put your amp/cables/etc. underneath the pedal board, then rest the board on top. Pelican makes a lot of options, and you'd be able to get one with wheels. New prices would likely be above your budget but you might be able to find one used.

6. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Hadn't considered that. I'll give that a look see.
    Thanks Dave!

Dave W likes this.
  7. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, after digging around a bit, I've found a case that'll do the job from Pelican for $180, which my wife would never go for.
    Does someone have a specific brand or generic case they recommend?

And after looking up specs on the JR board and the Metro 16, I've come to realize that I'd need to raise the back of the 16 at least 3.5", which, with such a short board, may be a bit of an extreme angle...

This is proving to be harder than I thought.