1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard & Delay Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassB, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BassB

BassB

Apr 7, 2009
    Hi guys
    I got a few questions regarding effects.
    1) I want to buy a delay effect. Right now I'm thinking about EHX Deluxe Memory Boy. Has anyone here tried that delay with a bass guitar? Is it good for bass guitar? Or do you recommend another delay? It's very important for me to have Tap Tempo feature and that the repeats will be clear.
    2) After I get the delay, I want to buy a pedalboard. The thing is, I will have 3 effects with american electricity and one with european electricity (i think the difference is something about 9v/12v). Will that be a problem?
    3) I have an EHX Enigma: QBalls. It says that you can only use the adaptor that comes with it. How do I connect such a thing in my pedalboard?

If it matters, I currently use:
    -EHX Enigma: QBalls Envelope Filter.
    -Visual Sound Route 66 Overdrive/Compressor.
    -EBS WahOne Wah (The one with european electricity).
    -2002/3 MIM Fender J Bass.
    -Behringer BXL 1800 amp

Thx in advance

2. The EBS WahOne Wah available in the UK (and all over the world) uses a 9v power supply as do 99.99999% of all effects pedals, they're built to use a 9v battery or external power from a 9v mains adaptor.

The European mains adaptor would convert 220 -240 volts AC to 9 volts DC and is different from the North Amercian one, which would convert 110 Volts AC to 9 volts DC.

The QBalls Envelope Filter requires a 9.6V, 200Ma power supply and the 200Ma is the issue (not the 9 or 9.6v) that's quite a high current draw and so EH say you should use their own power supply to be safe - it is not obligatory, but if you used a lower rated unit you might fry it!!. I had an EH "Zipper" Envelope follower many years ago that required two 9v batteries in paralell for this reason.

You just need to make sure the power supply you are using can supply the current needed to drive all the pedals you have on your board + a little for overhead - assuming you're going to use mains power that is.

3. You won't fry the Qballs by underpowering it. It just won't work. Product manuals ALWAYS say you can't use alternate power supplies so that if you plug an 18VAC adaptor into a pedal designed for 9VDC and fry it, the company isn't liable. Almost all pedals are totally fine to be powered by a multi-pedal power supply, although sometimes digital pedals don't like being on the same circuit as other digital pedals. This is alleviated by isolated outputs like on the Pedal Power supplies or the BBE SupaCharger. The main thing is just having enough power on tap for your pedal's draw, which is measured in MA. Most pedals will pull somewhere between 5MA(on the very low end) and 100MA. Some pedals (especially those with tubes) will need higher ratings, often closer to 600-800MA.

As for the delay issue, I haven't tried the DMB, but it is analog, so the repeats may not be as clear as you would like. You may like the EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, though. That has a very cool filter section for the repeats that allows you to roll off the treble for an old-school, warm analog sound or the low end so that the repeats are extra clear.

4. Sorry for the misuderstanding, I meant that you might fry the power supply, not the pedal! - I once attempted to run a car stereo cassette player from a 12 volt "wall wart" that was not rated to provide the required current output. I ended up with a melted lump of plastic and metal with a strong smell of burning!!.

5. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i really enjoyed the DMB when i tried it last week.
    It does sound very analog (if that makes sense). from what you describe, digital may be more appropriate