Pedalboard done (pics inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Got it all done, wit hthe exception of the George L cable kit on it's way, and I'd really like to replace the ibanez pedal with something useful.

NYC standard 24 case
    Ernie Ball mono volume
    Boss pedals: TU-2 tuner, CEB-3 Chorus, ODB-3 overdrive, DD-3 Delay
    Boss daisy chain, powers the other 3 boss, and the ibanez pedals off of the tu-2
    Ibanez SH7 Distortion
    EX Q-tron
    Eden midi controller for the navigator preamp
    Shure wireless receiver
    Cheap RCA power strip

I made the riser out of an old rack, and cut it exactly one rackspace high, to house the wireless, pretty slick.

Not bad for a guy who had no pedals 3 weeks ago, can't wait to gig with it.

2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Very nice.

I built one up and went the route of using the EBS powers supply and a daisy chain. The EBS transformer is very quiet with no hum at all. It is considerably lighter than a standard transformer, making the overall board lighter.

Nice work. Did you velcro the pedals in place?
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yup, all stickied down. I haven't really looked into the fancy power supplies yet. The single boss adaptor, and the daisy chain powers everything but the tron and the wireless, they have their own wall warts.
  4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I read on these notice boards that older style transformers can cause some hum with pedals. I avoided that by going with the EBS. So, if you notice hum from the pedal board in future, that may be your source.

One of these days I'll post my board. I have an EBS Octave, Boss Chorus and a Sadowsky Preamp DI with a mute switch. I have also velcro'd a battery powered tuner. That's the next replacement. The whole board fits in a vintage 1930 circa suitcase with a layer of bubble wrap on top and below the board. Using plastic fasteners, I secured an 18 foot guitar cable to a 20 foot black extension chord. This makes set up real fast.
  5. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    This may be fast, but for someone concerned about hum,it will not get you the best sound.

Electrical, and audio cables don't get along well when run together. Their electrons get all confused, and share valence fields. This, intern, will generate that nasty 60 cycle hum through your setup.

Seperate your audio and electrical cables, and allow them their own paths. If neccessary, cross audio and electrical cables in a perpendicular fasion.

oh and, bring the rock...
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I get no hum at all. None. Nada. I have to tap the strings to ensure it's on. It is very quiet. No difference from plugging direct into the amp.

The sales guy at a local store had both the regular power supplies for pedals and he had the EBS. I broke down and paid Swiss prices for the EBS. It doesn't even look like a standard power supply and it's unusually light. It is also good for 110 or 240 volt power.

The sales guy told me of the hum problem with traditional power supplies and steered me to the EBS. Have a look at it at the EBS site.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Hey Tim - is that riser velcro'd down as well? I've been thinking of some sort of riser for mine, but the board is heavy enough as it is and I'm not sure I want even more weight.
  8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    was that the Q tron for sale in the used rack at the columbus GC? Just wondering because you were from OH.

Boarding the wireless is a weird thing. I have a sure UT system, and it isn't rack mountable. I put it on my board and ran a cable back to my combo. It worked just fine, but required it's own AC power since it is 12V. I don't really use any pedals at all anymore. They are just sitting on my board, collecting dust. I have some good ones too, but I just dont use em. I went to a rack system, found a way to rack my shure, and that's it. I don't even use the sansamp BDDI anymore! Man I wasted some money. Maybe I should head over to the for sale area...
    Anyhow, great job with everything.
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Let me know what you have, I am looking for one more. All of this was bought on ebay, except the wireless, and the chorus, which was from here on TB. I am a GAS addict.

10. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Umm, you're a little off here. First of all if the power cables are carrying well filtered dc they will not induce any hum into anything. And secondly, you need to get your terms right, "valence fields" don't exist, electromagnectic fields do. And electrons don't get confused, when charge carriers (such as electrons) flow through a conductor they create a magnetic field, and when a changing magnetic field is applied to a conductor a proportional current is induced.

Edit: Fixed the vB code