1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard for looping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Oct 1, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm starting to do looping performances, and I'm an utter beginner (as I've made clear) at pedals - I've been a bass->cord->amp (or non-electric percussion) guy most of my life.

But this looping and playing with electronic sounds is fun

So I'm going to organize my electronic exploration pod.

The current gear (counting stuff that's in the mail).
    listed in probable signal chain order

Loop bypass
    DoD FX25 Envelope Filter
    (potentially - modded Boss CS3 compressor - don't have this yet)
    Boss CE2 chorus
    Line6 DL4 (looper/delay)

I'll leave space for the compressor, and potentially for an overdrive/distortion. Also potentially for a dedicated delay - maybe even another DL4.

Suggestions/comments? Other than "you gotta add a <insert expensive boutique pedal here>"... No Blueberries for me in the immediate future.

I'll post pictures as I put it together.

Wish me luck, all you effected denizens!

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I like to use the Boss RC-2 for live looping. It only has 11 spots to save presets, but so far I havent really saved them. I like to do my looping on the fly, and with up to 16 minutes of memory I have plenty of room to loop anything from long progressions to just itty bitty blips and pops, or what have you.

Most importantly, have fun.

Something I'm currently trying to do is perform at art showings (especially somethine abstract or surreal) and play some awesome ambient music throughout the night.

3. I'd get a volume pedal to run at the beginning of the chain. That way, you can swell into notes to create a smooth drone, which can really be nice, and get all manner of sounds without a crisp attack.

4. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    And save room for the expression pedal you need for the DL4

you don't think you need it now but use it and you'll never go back.

5. lotsolowend

lotsolowend

Aug 23, 2006
    Nederland, Tx
    honestly i would get a dedicated looping pedal and use the dl4 for delay. i have a boss rc20xl and a dl4 (ive never used the dl4's loop though, its still pretty new).

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
  7. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Good thought on the volume pedal.

I've got the expression pedal (just got it today, forgot to include it).
    Pointers to tips on using it (I've read the manual and got some rudimentary functionality going) would be appreciated!

I'm hooked in with a very strong looping community in this area - some very prominent people on the worldwide scene. (not me though, I'm a loop noob).
    Their looper of choice is the DL4, and I got a great deal on one.
    Hopefully in the coming month I'll learn more about why they favor the DL4 over the RC20's.

When I do I'll post it here so the logic can be dissected :D

The new Line6 looper looks interesting - I'd love an "undo" (I know the Boss has it).
    But a lot of what it offers are premade loops, and that's not what I'm going for.

As with all things tech, we'll see how my tools-of-choice change over the coming year.

Oh yeah, forgot to include (because it won't be on the board) a small mixer for mics- I'm also a percussionist and include percussion and voice in the loops.

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
  9. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    I think the new Looperlative is considered the king, but either of those are way out of my budget and league.

Steve Lawson seems to like it, though...

lp1_front.

http://www.looperlative.com/
    I'm of the "cool sounds for cheap" persuasion...

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    kesslari is right- the Looperlative is like having a whole bunch of Echoplexes in one box with better sound and features.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    really!

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, really :)

13. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
  14. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I have an echoplex, it has some cool features that are great for looping, like being able to lengthen the loop after you have added a bunch of overdubs.

I mostly use my akai headrush for bass looping.

You might also want a wah pedal for the same reason as the volume pedal. It can make some nice "beds" of sound for you to jam over. Having the different loops with their own sounds or effects is a good thing.

15. I use an Electro-Harmonix 2880. I think it is an amazing machine, the volume sliders are a great idea.

I would love to have an Echoplex (do they still make them?) or a Looperlative one day tough.

An EQ pedal would be good to have aswell. Tonal variations in the loops and in the dry out help eliminate a noise soup problem. A flanger or phase shifter in a fixed position can work in the same manner aswell.

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Personally I find the DL4 to be the easiest to use/most intuitive live looper. I tried the RC20, SMMH, and a friends RC2 and, to me at least, none of them were as straight forward as the DL4.

An undo function on top of the DL4 would be cool. I haven't had a chance to check out that big digital line6 loop deal, but I think I saw one in the case at GC the other day and if that was it, it's bigger than a DL4.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I had a lesson with Steve Lawson and he showed me some of the things that beast can do the machine is just stunning by far the best looper ever and in saying that I use a EHX SMM/H but I will agree with the comments on the volume pedal I use 2 in my chain in parallel but to get varying volumes and layers and stuff its much easier that technique alone ;) maybe that says something there.

18. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I've been using the RC-50 for a while and I think it's great. It has an undo function, 3 patch pedals, a tempo, and a play/record/overdub pedal.

Where it falls short is the midi sync which is basically unusable.

I'm currently making the switch to computer based looping - FCB1010 foot controller and Ableton Live.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Get an EBow. For some reason, nearly every bass player that does a lot of looping has one :D