1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard Gremlins

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe Clark, Dec 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joe Clark

Joe Clark

Jan 19, 2007
    Mid Michigan
    Hey, TB. I'm using a pedalboard mini with a Polytune, 3 Leaf Octabvre, W&C Pickle Pie, and 3 Leaf Wonderlove. I was powering it with a Pedal Power 2 Plus, but in an effort to clean it up, purchased a Strymon Ojai and Bestronics Lift Kit so I could mount it with velcro on the underside of the board. I played my first gig with it last weekend and had zero issue save for the fact that the stage lights were very hot, old school lighting cans. When I went to tear down, I realized one of the cans was pointing on my board all night and the glue in the velcro came undone. The Ojai was detached from the board but functioned fine the whole night. I was very careful with the cables and made sure not to tweak anything when putting it back in the case.

Fast forward to today, when I finally had time to tinker with remounting it... I applied new velcro and went to test the board out and... noise gremlins. At first it seemed like the noise only occurred when clicking pedals on and off, and after awhile of tinkering there would be intermittent noise while playing through it with none of the effects engaged. Anyone have some sure fire tips for troubleshooting this? I won't be able to get to this until Saturday afternoon, so I'm hoping to get some feedback before that.

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am in no means an expert, but try checking all the cables and patch cables through individually.

And make sure it is not the bass or amp used that causes the issue.

Also I heard some pedals produce noise if feed with power from a multiple outlet power supply, though I am not sure this would still be the case with the pedals off.

In any case it sounds really odd that it suddenly started producing noise when this had not been the case previously.

Good luck with getting the problem solved.

Joe Clark likes this.
  3. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Pedalboard troubleshooting 101.

This takes time.

1) make sure your bass isn't the source.
    2) make sure your cable from the bass isn't the source
    3) make sure the amp \ headphones aren't the source
    3.5) make sure the building wiring isn't the source
    3.7) make sure there is no environmental influence, like AC or Computers etc.
    4) make sure pedal №1 isn't the source
    5) make sure the second patch cable isn't the source
    6) make sure the pedal power supply isn't the source
    7) repeat steps 4 to 6 for each pedal
    8) make sure that the power supply out let is not the source (check all).
    9) now start checking each patch cable between the same two pedals.
    9.5) check power cables
    10) introduce a third pedal, and again check each patch cable
    11) check power cables.

If you do this in the order and don't get the noise again until you come back a few hours later, it's gremlins for sure.

Or static energy building up in a ground loop that isn't disapating.

As mentioned, it's likely an audio cable, so you could go straight for that in steps 9 thru 11.

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I also default to my patch cables first. My problems very rarely come from anything else.

That being said I did have to replace the preamp in my MTD 435 two months ago.

Now with that said, having a light hot enough to melt the glue on velcro seems a little nuts to me.

It’s far fetched but not outside of the realm of possibility that the heat damaged your supply. I’d personally start there since you know that something occurred with it.

Try isolating effects to see if the noise is still there with single boxes and try different outputs on the supply. That way you can eliminate it as a source of issues.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Joe Clark likes this.