1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by godspeed68, Oct 2, 2008.

1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yo dudes, ill cut to the chase. I was using a SKB PS-45 until yesterday.

I'll give you my signal path:

Bass > Ernie Ball Volume > Damage Control Timeline > ABY > Both outputs going to channels 1 and two in my Mesa 400

Effects loop send > From guitar on PS 45 > To pedals on PS 45 > Moog Lowpass > Fulltone Bassdrive > Lehle D.loop Input > Loop A going to passive Radial ABY > Radial A side > EHX Micro POG > Maxon AD999 > Loopstation > Return A of Boss LS-2

Radial B side > Return B on Boss LS-2

Boss LS-2 Output to Loop A return on Lehle

Lehle Output > From Pedals on PS-45 > To amp on PS-45 > Effects loop return.

I was getting really crazy sounds reminiscent to my past experiences with blowing my Mesa, so I shut it off before anything happened. Took it to Savage Audio and got a call back saying everything was fine according to the oscilloscope. I take my board and everything down there, hook it up, play, and I get the same crazy sounds. Come to find it's SOMETHING in my pedalboard.

I said screw the PS-45 and got a Pedaltrain Pro with the VoodooLab Pedal Power 2 Plus to power all my stuff.

Barely had enough time to get it set up before our gig last night, which makes our live set the first time I would be able to see if everything actually worked. Yikes, right?

Worked GREAT!.....Except for this: the Boss LS-2 did not work, and still does not even today. It is plugged into the PP2 on a regular 9V output, and gets no power. Unplugged it and put a WORKING battery in....still nothing.

The polarity is correct. The output voltage and mA capacity is correct.

*** happened????

thanks,

tom

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Check your patch cables?

3. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Used a cable tester at Willies on ALL of my cables right before I bought the board just to verify it was the power supply in the PS-45.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Just based on what you've described here, I'd say a component failed in the LS-2, and it died screaming. Maybe the failure was caused by a loose wire or bad component inside the PS-45, or maybe the failing component in the LS-2 was just ready to blow regardless of the PS-45. A bad cap or a bad connection at some power-regulating element of the circuit could maybe cause a chip to die screaming like that. Or even just a gradually-separating broken solder joint can make some bad noises as it connects and breaks connection repeatedly (depending on where it is in the circuit).

Otherwise, too many variables. Is it still the only part that's not working? Everything else normal, no weird unwanted noises?

5. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, thanks for checkin in.:)

One thing to keep in mind is that the LS-2 was in the loop of the Lehle. When I was experiencing those noises the loop in the Lehle was disengaged - LS-2 was not in the active signal path. Thats why I figure it was the PS-45.

Unless there was a problem with the LS-2 that didn't require it to have signal running through it to cause that noise. But that would still come down to a lack of isolation in the power supply, right?

Yes, right now the only pedal that is not working is the LS-2 and everything else works perfectly.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Wow, that's a real stumper. It sounds like the LS-2 cannot be the source of the noise (presuming that the Lele is doing its job properly), but I cannot explain why the LS-2 appears to not be working.... :meh:

Tom.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Loads of electrical-failing noises can be carried through the common (ground), which is usually in the active circuit even when the audio signal is bypassed or muted.

8. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Makes sense.

I'm going to see what I can do about exchanging the LS2 for another one and I'll get back to you guys.

Thanks for reading.

tom

9. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You'll never believe this.

Without changing anything in my chain, the pedal works today.

What gives?

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Temporary insanity?

11. godspeed68

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I think you're correct.

I don't trust it quite yet. Updates 'll be raining if this thing takes a nap again.

I need an old priest and young priest,

tom:bag: