1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pedalboard newbie help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theunknowndude, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hi people,...

started off with a Zoom B2, which was good to immerse me into some effects and the range of them trying to use the multe effects and get everything I want is frustrating... wish it had a computer interface to fiddle and save programs! anyways mainly just use that to fiddle with or use as a DI to headphones for practising in my room...

so,... I want to get a few stomp boxes, not muchat the moment want to build it up slowly,... grab what I can when I see it,... looking at about 5 or 6 pedals max (turbo rat, synth bass, phat hed, weeping demon, equaliser and compressor to start with...)

what I really need help on is a pedal board,... theres not much to choose from around where I live and really can't be bothered going for overseas postage or long distance stuff not to mention Id be very unhappy if it came out this end broken,...

have sorted out a few places that can get me pretty much either one of these at a decent price I guess...

http://www.behringer.com/PB1000/index.cfm?lang=eng
    now this seems TOO GOOD to be true,... having a look at it at first seems kind of gumby but the power supply seems pretty powerful, it comes with everything you need, and also has the option of two outputs,... if the time ever came could go bi amped setup,... plus has loads of room for more pedals so could get a funky outfit if I want more,... the power supply would work with all the pedals I want to add too...

my other option pretty much seems this:
    https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=3387
    its a bit smaller but GATOR do have a name for being sturdy/built well (I have a GATOR bass hard case and I love it!) now that deal is good to me because its cheaper than buying the unpowered GATOR pedalboard and bag and the G-bus multi power supply seperately (
    https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=3288 ) also good cos it can power the 18V crazy stuff as well if it needs to? where as by the looks of it the berhinger only does the 9V...

the only thing id need out of each is cables I guess, the rest both of them seem to come with it all!

any opinions???

2. oh yeah and I have searched a bit but just wondering if anyone has any other opinions to offer, don't exactly want to invest in junk if there has been a 80% junk rate or anything!

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The Warwick Rockcase boxes look pretty good and cheap.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IME, Velcro boards are the standard. There's a reason why you'll rarely see Boss BCB-30s, BCB-60s, and those similar-looking Behringer pedal cases: all of them use foam shapes to hold pedals in, and are generally intended to fit only their own brand (Boss is a bit more flexible in this regard). They have a serious lack of flexibility if you plan on mixing different brands.

The typical Velcro-covered board is what you'll see more often. Some pros will even go as far as to zip-tie or screw down pedals into a permanent setup... but I wouldn't recommend doing that if you change pedals as often as most of us do. :D

That Gator board you linked to is a good board, IMO.

Regarding power supplies... most pedals are 9V, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting a power supply with atypical power outputs unless you are also considering a pedal that would need it (i.e., some MXR pedals need 18VDC, some pedals need isolated power, etc.). The Gator G-BUS is the equivalent of the Dunlop DC Brick; both can power typical 9VDC and 18VDC pedals, and neither have isolated outputs (if you don't know what these are, you can do a little research on TB... but you probably don't need to worry about it).

TBH, a standard high-current 9VDC power supply with a few daisy chains (a la Visual Sound 1 Spot or Godlyke Powerall) would do the same job for a lot cheaper.

Either way, you may need a few special adapter plugs for your power supply now and then, but they're easy to find online and in some shops. The RAT, for example, uses a 1/8" positive-tip phone plug instead of the typical 2.5mm center-negative barrel you see on Boss pedals and most other pedals.

5. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so you guys tape/glue velcro to the backs of your pedals, right?

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Most varieties of Velcro have a self-adhesive side. In some extreme cases, it might be necessary to glue it, but that's always messier to remove later.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    and honestly, the interface between pedal and adhesive is the best when there is no other glue between them. This is especially true of pedals with a rubber foot (BOSS, DIGITECH, etc). Also, use a small piece of velcro, as opposed to covering the entire bottom of the pedal.

9. if you really want to save money you can make a great pedal board out of some wood (I used pine for my first) and paint it with some spray paint. Stick some velcro on top, buy a separate power supply like the DC brick or one-spot and you're ready to go. It doesnt come with a case like the ones your looking at buying, but you could build it to fit into a cheap suitcase or bag that you already have (if a case is really important to you.)

remember this day, because it will be the day you started on the downward spiral that is effects pedals :p

goodluck!

10. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1. Big attaché + Plywood + Power supply.

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah...
    so far...
    $250 - line 6 dl-4
    $100 - boss tu-2
    $99 - sansamp bddi
    $48 - boss ceb-3
    $85 - ehx bassballs
    $80 - electronix submarine
    $70 - modded bad monkey
    $90 - pedalboard

$823. Heh. :|

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
  13. thanks guys,....

just one thing, remember im specificall trying to find things in adelaide or if need be australia (don't know if I made that clear,... oops!)

and im ok with getting into the ffects downwards spiral, I love whacked out crazy psycho stuff (think third eye by tool) as well as just some nice effects to get a good tone :)

I just like the idea of a complete setup being delivered for me,... ill keep searching though, see if I can find a 1 spot or the warwick case or any of the other brands you mention...

14. regarding power supply units... how important is the isolated output side of things??? from what I can tell it means that it should remove ALL hum etc?

the only thing I can find (online anyways...) is the voodoo lab power 2 that has this,... but its more than double the cost of the GATOR G bus... and only supports 9V :(

ill have a few more looking in shops this week but looks like supply of things suck here!!! (in comparison been pricing pedals too, even ibanez pedals are like 160+ AU compared to what others have been reporting for like 60 (not sure if that was 60 US or euro tho...) either way seems like we get gipped bigtime :(

its ALMOST worth buying everything from america and just copping shipping charges and exchange rate... some items probably way cheaper than here gggrrr!!!

edit: just found a nice shop interstate that is doing very cheap pedals on the prices I want,... argg so want everything NOW haha

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I used to own a CNB case. To say they're "okay" is almost a generous statement. Tough case but shoddy board, and problems with instrument cable clearance if you plan on filling out the whole thing. You get what you pay for... :meh:

It's only as important as what you plan to power with it. While they're great at combating hum, it's unlikely that you'll run into hum that's caused by your power supply, unless you start trying to power more unusual pedals.

And by unusual, I'm talking about vintage oddities, Line 6 pedals, and a few select others.

Don't confuse pickup hum with power supply hum... very different sources.

Not true... the Voodoo Lab can do 12VDC (via dip switches underneath), 18VDC (via a Y-cable), and even 24VDC (via a Y cable). It can do the Y-cable voltage-doubling thing because the outputs are isolated... don't try this at home with your daisy-chain-based power supply or Gator G-BUS. :p

There are other limitations to the Voodoo Lab, however. I'd recommend reading a few threads about it before you consider it further. TBH, you probably don't need it.

16. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Oh. :D

17. thanks very much for all your help MysticBoo and others!
    yeah I only plan on using the well known brand name stuff,... MXR (still a maybe!)/Boss/ibanez/Proco Rat... considering I dont get much of a range in the local shops...unless I grab rare items from ebay which I doubt ill do!
    anyway thanks for the help with the Rat stuff too, so long as I have the right adaptor plug then it should still be sweet to run normally from the G-BUS?

18. A little OT but relates to your last post - whatever you do, don't discount buying pedals from the US...

I've recently taken to buying pedals from the US - not so much from ebay but from talkbass, harmony-central and thegearpage.net forumites. I've had nothing but good trades, and I've saved a ton of money. Shipping for each pedal is about $20US to New Zealand via USPS, and at the current exchange rates things are pretty attractive unless you're buying really cheap pedals (like the Bad Monkey I wanna get) where shipping brings the price up toward local prices.

To give some examples:
    - Sansamp BDDI - local price $400NZ, very lightly used one shipped to my door for $205NZ
    - Digitech BSW - local price $249, mint used one shipped to my door for $100NZ
    - Akai headrush E2 - local price $379 on ultra-super-duper special, near mint one on my doorstep for $250ish NZ.

And at those sort of savings, if you don't like them, you can flick them on locally at no loss or even a profit!

Regarding the pedalboard, I've used one of the Rockcase (by Warwick) boards with inbuilt power supply, and it's been great. However I've now run out of room in a big way and am about to build a new one from wood. It'll be a lot of work but will be very, very cool.

Steve