Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedalboard Of Doom vs V-Bass vs POD XT Live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexclaber, Nov 3, 2005.

1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Stick with this:

[​IMG]

or go to this:

[​IMG]

or maybe this:

[​IMG]

Help!

Alex

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Stick with DOOM!!!!... or give it to me...

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i'd say stick with the board of doom. it may be heavier and bigger but i like to have the individual pedals to be able to swtich around order and tweak individual parameters.

just my $0.02

-jimbo

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Seriously, your pedalboard of doom is rather dreamy. If you ever part with it, I'll give you $10 ;)

5. stick with the pedalboard of doom and buy me the VBASS!

6. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1

but you could get $15 from me!!!! :cool:

7. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Pedalboard Of Doom vs V-Bass vs POD XT Live

I can see that as being a problem. And I wish I had your problem.

8. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The problem is that I'm now a singing frontman bass player, so I need to make things simpler at the gig. I can't be tweaking settings between songs because I need to deal with the audience then. Also, the board is so big I rarely use it at home because it covers half the spare floor space. And it's now the biggest and heaviest part of my rig (or at least the most cumbersome) since getting a lighter amp for my rack. Plus I'm looking to swap out some of the pedals and replace with others, which requires entering rewiring hell... It does sound great though...

Any feedback on the multi-FX monsters?

Alex

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    wow. that is one of the nicest boards i've seen.

Doesn't the V-bass require you to use some sort of additional pickup installed onto your bass? (maybe that was something else?)

I'm guessing you're willing to sacrifice some effects that you you have right now, that arent on any multi effects, like the Unibass, and fancy delay modes...

i guess the natural thing to do would be to find out what effects you require from a multi effects board, and try it out yourself. but man, that board you ahve is really sweet. You could probably swing a straight trade for a used Line 6 Pod XT Live with just that Deep Impact, and sell everything else for a net profit.

(give me that unibass for free!)

10. I can vouch for the PODxt, but you may not need all the amp/cab modeling. But, since you have a wonderfully clean setup right now (PLX into your Acme's), you might want the modeling. In my mind, there's no better cabinets to really show what the PODxt can do.

The effects are totally useable, flexible, and tweakable, and do a stellar job at recreating the real thing.

I would suggest keeping the Deep Impact, though, because even though the PODxt has some great Mutron and synth sounds...they aren't Akai.

edit: I've also never been much of a fan of all-in-one floor-based units. Way too much bending over, and you WILL be tweaking everything in either the VBass or PODxt Live. Get the PODxt Pro and the FBV Shortboard.

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Are you insane?

;) I'd keep that board. That thing is sick bro!

12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The bonus of the V-Bass over the PodXT are the bass models. You have your J, P, MM, etc. along with some amps, cabs, and effects.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    If I had to part with that board I would go the V-Bass.

14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I reckon I can buy either the line 6, or the v bass cheaply here. I'll buy it send it too you and you just send your board to my mum's house in wales. Everyone's happy! Stickwith the board stick with the board stick with the board stick with the board stick with the board stick with the board.

15. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, you're all old romantics... It really does look like the V-Bass can do everything I need, whilst requiring less tap-dancing and being much easier to lug. But is it voltage switchable? Really don't want to have to use voltage converters when I go overseas.

Alex

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd say get the V-Bass and keep the pedals... if you can afford it (I don't know if you planned on selling your pedals). You'd regret it later, because that is a great board. I'd keep the pedal board of doom tucked away, and gig with the V-bass (as a vocal/bass guy).

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Doom.

You will get better tone out of it. Maybe just simplify your settings or your use of it. I would keep it for looks alone.

18. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Keep the pedals! That's a killer setup, you could always get a looper to simplify things.

19. You haven't said so on this thread, but I see someone using your name has sold the deep impact on ebay
    Looks like despite the pleas to keep it you've made your choice :)