Pedalboard on Stage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ESP Eden, Jul 6, 2004.

1. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    Hey, everyone with a pedalboard, where do you put your pedalboard (or pedals if you don't have a pedalboard) when you're playing live? I usually put mine right in front of my cab. But then when I use my volume or wah pedals, my back is to the audience. I guess that isn't a bad thing, but it isn't really a good thing eihter. Also, do you guys run your pedals between your bass and amp or in the effects loop. Any input is appreciated.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I run a cable from the pedalboard at the front of the stage(near the monitor) to my amp, and then a cable to my bass(or wireless).
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I designed a small box and a 1U panel system so I can run the pedalboard through the effects loop using only a stereo cable and leave it at the front of the stage. Sure, you may prefer two cables, but I don't :)

Also used it between a wireless and my amp, so it comes in handy.
  4. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I do quite a bit of efx switching, and I sing backup, sometimes at the same time, so it's front and center for me.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

My pedalboard is in front right of me (about 45° angle), near the drummer's hihat.
    I plug straight into the pedalboard and then to the PA/monitor/amp from my SansAmp at the end of the chain.
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The "conventional wisdom" says to put pedals in front of the amp, and rack-mount effects in the effects loop. That said, this is really a case where you could/should experiment, as different pedals will sound different based upon whether they see an instrument-level signal (in front) or a line-level signal (loop).

FWIW, I have my pedals in front of the amp... for simplicity as much as anything else.
  7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I have my pedalboard seated front and center when I sing(usually). If I'm not singing it's off to the side close to my mic. I run my wireless into my board and then send it off to the mixer or my amp.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  9. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    All across the front. otherwise they don't fit! :D
  10. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002

It's usually right in front of me. How far ahead, depends on the stage.

As I go wireless LIVE, it isn't a problem.

I attached some pictures to show you my setup.
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mine is right in front of me, usually nestled in amongst the legs of the mic stand.

I plug into the pedals first, then to my amp. Why? Because I want my effects to go to the PA. I used to use effects loops until I heard a desk tape of a gig and realised none of my effects made to the FOH. What the audience heard was at times plain awful. Imagine playing a song that relies on an Octaver effect, then finding out the audience was only hearing the high note.

Unfortunately putting your pedals between your bass and your amp means you have to take extra care to make sure it all remains noiseless. I've found myself shuffling pedals around until it's quiet. I've also found some pedals don't like sharing a power supply with other pedals.
  12. Odd. :confused: I have always put my FX in the loop on my amp, and I have tried to use them in front of my amp, but it sounds no different.
  13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I put my pedal board( now that I have one ) to the side. I stand on the drummers floor tom side so my board is all the way at the end of the stage. Our singer is very hyper and this keeps him from f-ing anything up! I go wireless so I have a send and return plus two power wires for my two pedals snaked together in those plastic flexible wire thingys. One end is anchored to my rack and one end to the pedal board. I have the pedal board mounted into the back lid of my rack so the whole unit never gets taken apart. It takes me 30 seconds to set up my stuff. The reason for the two power wires is that my two pedals don't like being on the same adaptor. I go into a Zoom BFX708 and then to an MXR M-80. If they are on the same adaptor it is quiet until I turn on the distortion on the M-80. The adaptors are just 9v RadioShack that I've spliced in extra wire to reach out to my pedal board. The whole thing is actually very quiet.
  14. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yer right... should have written "some pedals might sound different" depending on whether they're placed in front of the amp vs. in the effects loop.