1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard on top of amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Dec 25, 2006.

1. So...I have an interesting idea, amoung other effects I want at the moment, a EHX Humdebugger and a EBS multi comp are pretty high up there. Thing is, I love having a small pedalboard, and wouldn't have the room.

Considering I wouldn't be messing with the controls on either of these pedals, I was considering building a small case to put on top of my amp to house these two, does anyone else do anything similar?

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Never done it, but it sounds like a jolly good idea! Especially if the last few things (like a comp) are always on :)

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i've put some velcro on the top of my road case specifically for this reason. anything i put in the FX loop (gate, delay, chorus...) goes on top of the amp. having them all on a board would be better for quicker setup, though. i say right on!

(i may actually mount my FX loop pedals on a piece of something-or-other with velcro on the bottom of it sometime in the future.)

4. hmm cool, my amp already has carpet covering so I could just attach the pedals to the top, but I was thinking making a specific case for them and attach it on top would be a slightly more premenant and practical solution.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i currently do this... i got the idea from my friend Ian who only uses a sansamp on his svt4 so all he'd do is set it on top of his amp.

i have a compressor, english muff'n and a boost... all i have on the ground is a boost pedal right now.

6. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    do it! it's nice. you've got more space on your pedalboard for cool sounds, that way. (plus, my gate works better in the FX loop than it does in-line. i haven't used the hum debugger yet, but from what i understand, you can put it anywhere in the chain and it'll do it's job well.)

7. i think i might have to...

...im gonna need more patch leads :)

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not only a good idea for items that you don't plan to switch on/off much, but also good for fx that you want to manually tweak. That way you don't have to bend over to work the knobs.

9. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1! i'm thinking of putting other cool effects up there for this exact reason. like more delays, for instance. and flangers. and phasers, and reverbs, and whammies, and fuzzes. and more delays.

10. [​IMG]

mmmm ambience

11. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    [​IMG]

i love ambience and noize. love it!

12. anechoic

anechoic

Oct 31, 2005
    Shirley, MA
    I'm working on something similar at the moment. Basically, I built a two tiered, wooden enclosure that will be attached to the top of a 19" rack. The enclosure has a remote switch box, which splits the signal into a bass and "guitar" chain. Each side has three bypass relays that switch the effects (mounted in the enclosure) in and out. It also has footswitch outputs for a Sansamp (in the rack) and a modified PD-1550 (it's great as a bass distortion, but the built in footswitches are total crap). Everything is controlled by a remote foot controller, connected by a 25 pin cable.

I started this project mainly to make setting up faster and easier, but also after seeing what Deep Impacts go for on ebay, and decided it might be best to get mine off the floor.

13. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I have two versions of this idea in place.

My cheap rack is covered with ugly ass rat fur....which velcro loves to cling to so my sansamp rides on top very nicely.

The other version has my multi's, A/B box, A/B/Y and DI on a tote lid that either sits on the amp, or on a small stand beside the amp if it's tilted back. A pedalboard could (and should) be substituted for the tote lid.

14. HPBass

HPBass

Jun 5, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I keep my board on top of my amp on most occasions. The only "effect" I click on and off is my Auto Q ... and I just do it with my hand during a rest or while I sustain a note. I use a pedal board but it sits right on top of my head next to my DI. I like being able to make subtle tweaks to my tone during a set. It definetly depends on the venue. If I'm on a monster stage/monster room It goes in front of my monitor so that I have more movement options. Of course when I'm on a stage that big it probably means I'm playing a 45 minute set, not a 3hour set (that makes a difference too).

15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    In really small gigs (ie when I am surrounded by trumpet players, and can barely move) when I don't need any effects, I stick my tuner on top of my amp.

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Make sure it attaches firmly somehow, velcro or whatever. I put my pedalboard on top of my amp once when there was limited space on the stage, and in the middle of a song it vibrated off, pulling out the power cable when it did. Sudden silence, on a gig with about 300 people there. Never did that again....

Also, keep in mind that the constant vibration could cause cables to go bad, or expose cables that are intermittent.

17. both quite excellent points! +2!