Pedalboard order. Yes I've searched...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sigshooter226, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I have searched and haven't found an exact answer or recommendation. If it's there, I missed it some place. So, I need a recommendation for order. I have the following.

VT bass driver deluxe
    MXR carbon copy
    MXR bass compressor

How would you place those in order?

2. kamm

kamm

Jan 11, 2015
    Elburn, IL
    1 Compressor
    2 Bass Driver
    3 Delay

Alex O, Grumry, Clark Dark and 14 others like this.
  3. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Thank you

kamm likes this.
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Other option: the VT can also go at the end, to be used as DI, at least that's the way I used my VTDI. Didn't affect the tone either way.

5. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I was thinking it would be nice to have my delay make it through the FOH as well. Is there a reason we use compressor first vs. Last?

6. Bassmike62

Matter of taste, what you have in your chain and what needs to be kept in check. You see quite a few boards with comp at the end but me, I prefer to send a compressed signal through me effects and like to have filters, octaves and phasers before the comp. As a rule (of thumb), chorus, flangers, delays and reverb do not benefit from being placed before the comp (IMO). But as always with chain issues, it is better to experiment, as there no REAL rules.

Have you read this page on compression : www.ovnilab.com ? Compression Scriptures, courtesy of TB's own Bongomania.

petrus61 and kamm like this.
  7. kamm

kamm

Jan 11, 2015
    Elburn, IL
    Usually compression is for smoothing out the dynamics of your playing, and it can do that better if the signal it's working on has less processing on it (such as from other effects or a preamp).

Delay usually goes after a preamp (or an amp simulator like the Bass Driver) because that's how delay would be applied in real life; think of a a guitar being played through an amp in a big auditorium.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with putting the delay before the Bass Driver if you're using the BD as a direct box. The difference in sound won't be that drastic, and I don't think it'll have a negative impact on anything.

Sigshooter226 likes this.
  8. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Yeah, depends - I could see any order working, and a lot of them will be fine for most situations. I've also recently had much better luck with my VTBD thinking of it primarily as a compressor + EQ, and I've had less than satisfying experiences running a delay in the effect loop (though I probably had the master volume way too high). And then the MXR comp is super versatile too as it can be a limiter, a hard clamping comp, or used subtly. All that to say: Experiment!

I would probably go comp >> delay >> VTBD. Mostly cause I usually set my MXR to boost note attack and like my delays smudgy and saturated.

9. I use all three of these types of pedals. Not the same exact ones but same types

Compressor
    Delay
    Sans amp

For me atleast

10. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    Great info. I would prefer to use the vtdi as my foh signal. My other option would be the GK DI. Would you rather use the VT or the GK for your DI?

11. Bassmike62

Err...the GK is transparent, right ? I'm not 100 % sure... So it comes down to you deciding if you want your bass's natural tone to come through or not. The VT Bass will color your tone. I like what it brings, but not everybody does.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Jul 19, 2009
    see, I always put compressors near the end of my chain, unless there is a specific reason to put them elsewhere like right after a filter that can peak out on you, because of not wanting to introduce the hiss some compressors can create to the gain stages of pedals after it that could amplify it.

13. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    The GK DI is pretty good. But I like the VT as well. I feel like the VT has a bit more character. I dunno, in the long run, the audience isn't going to know and I feel that as long as everyone is doing their job things are just fine.

14. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    ur prolly using a voodoo labs or a Mxr iso brick. I suggest using an isolated power supply. and some solid cables, I don't think you need a buffer. but what board are you using? Prolly a nano. if the VT ids your DI. might mod it to 18 volt. more head room. lowers noise floor. in other words more useable gain.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  15. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I'm using a voodoo pedal power 2 on a Trailer trash board.

16. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    The 18 volt mod has me intrigued

17. How's the compressor being used? Slap I'd put it up front and delay in the end. Limiting I'd put compressor last, VT first. Personally I got rid of my compressor all together as the VT compresses enough for my liking.

18. Sigshooter226

Sigshooter226

Oct 31, 2016
    Aurora, Co
    I use it for limiting really. Those times I am into it and start smashing stuff harder than I should.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Bass > comp > CC > VT > amp/PA.

Sigshooter226 likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Not by any means. Usually they have a somewhat healthy scoop to them with knobs at noon, although I've heard scoopier.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021