Pedalboard order. Yes I've searched...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sigshooter226, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Andy westwood

Andy westwood

Nov 30, 2014
    PedalBoard Solutions
    I've got so much going on with my board I put my comp at the end so It can help limit the peaks of my gain pedals,

It's down yo what sounds best tho, I've used a verb into a drive before! Sounded great

So I'd play with the comp position, is the comp more of a feel thing or is it warming up the tone aswell?

2. I run drive -> Compressor -> delay, If you get variation on the amount of drive depending on how hard you play running the compressor before will limit that, at the same time you don't want to compress parts of your delay and not others, so I run my compressor just before delay and reverb.

3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    then you didn't look very hard...lol

I have posted this link many times in as many years...

GM Arts - Guitar Effects

generally pedal should go in this order

1. Filter effects
    2. Compressor
    3. Overdrive/Distortion/Fuzz
    4. Equalizers
    5. Pitch effects
    6. Modulation effects
    7. Level Controllers
    8. Echo effects

4. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I have used my DI out on my GKMBII and with everything on the amp set flat and only boosting the low mids I got it really/surprisingly close to my REDDI. But transparent it is not.

I'd also like to get yall's opinion on my current board order. It's been years since I've used a comp and I just received an Empress. So these are the pedals in question.

Empress
    Boost
    HPF

Thanks dudemen.

uwrossl likes this.
  5. Buszkock

Buszkock

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Setting Up Your Effect Signal Chain - Strymon

Most importantly, there are no rules! But people have experimented ad nauseam and so there are some common things MOST but not all people do in the ordering (like time effects after modulations).

Don't miss out on the fun with experimenting. :)

And buy more pedals, you only have 6 combinations with three pedals, but add another 3 and you could arrange them in 720 different ways! lol

veryvery and Sigshooter226 like this.
  6. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I recently just added pedals to my rig and after experimenting a bit at my last couple of full band rehearsals I like the way it sounds with the compressor at the beginning of my chain.

My pedals

Empress comp
    Mxr bass deluxe octave
    Darkglass VMT.

I run them in that order and am only slightly engaging each. Comp always on providing just a slight amount of compression to even things out and add a bit of sustain. Octave pedal is set mostly dry to just add some depth and beef to the tone, and the VMT adds just a slight amount of break up and warmth. Felt like I lost a lot of what the Darkglass pedal was adding when I ran it before the comp.

7. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Boost > Cali76 > HPF. LOL

8. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I run mine guitar>distortions>octave fuzz>wah/envelopes>phasor/flangers>delays/echo

you can fast forward to 26:50 for Doug Wimbush

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021