1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mapleglo, May 14, 2015.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Does anyone have any experience with this power supply?

29lg2dj.

I received an email from Parts Express and this was referenced. That $47.50 price tag seems pretty easy to digest. Eight 9V outputs, one 12V and one 18V, and comes with the cables.

2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I have the Joyo version and I like it a lot, plus the lights are very cool.

@gregmon79 has that exact one, he has been summoned...

mapleglo likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It is good. Get one. Don't think you'll regret. Works great as long as you don't have a whole bunch high draw current or digital pedals. I likey.

4. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Great, thanks for the quick replies. Seems like a really good price compared to the +$100 units that feature isolated outputs.

gregmon79 and SunnBass like this.
  5. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    And...boom...end thread.

gregmon79 and mapleglo like this.
  6. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    Not yet; if that's a rebranded Joyo JP-02, then it's not isolated. A dick move to market it as such. :thumbsdown: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1357240

7. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Perhaps it's too good to be true then.

8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    It's not isolated.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Which doesn't mean it won't work well. But it's not isolated.

SunnBass likes this.
  10. mapleglo

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I use mostly analog pedals, MXR for the most part. Think it'll work for those?

SunnBass likes this.
  11. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    It is true that a common ground is shared, making it not truly isolated, but...

Yes, it will be fine especially with analog pedals.
    A one-spot with a daisy chain isn't isolated and those are used the world over by many musicians.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I really didn't want to make it sound like scare tactics.

The fact of the matter is that it is very rare to find someones board that is 100% isolated. Mine aren't by a long stretch and I use isolated power supplies. But I use FuelTank Chameleons that don't have a ton of outlets, so I use a number of daisy chains. Some of my pedals don't mind at all. Others, like it when I give them an isolated output. I was thinking at some point of getting that Cioks Ciokolate as it would mean that I could basically go isolated. But its a lot of money.

The analog factor - and especially MXR - means that even without TONS of output mAmps you will still likely be fine. But it doesn't really mean that they will be more or less prone to issues with power.

Whether it will work will depend on your power situation at home and at the gigs you play. And Sunn's comparison is spot-on. It's basically like taking a high-draw one-spot and connecting all your pedals to it. Works more often than not.

Nephilymbass and SunnBass like this.
  13. SunnBass

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    You aren't scaring anyone, it was the post before yours I was referring to, plus I edited my post.
    It was a pre-coffee statement. ;)

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. bcoomes

bcoomes

Feb 6, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    For me the question is why buy this style power supply if it doesn't provide isolated power? Isn't that the point of them? If you feel like you can get by without isolated power, why not just use a one spot? And oh yeah, to market this thing as isolated is really not cool.

15. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    Just to make sure; if you meant my post about it not being isolated, no scare tactics were intended, it was a factual statement about false advertising that has plagued these units. The original Joyo supply was also marketed as an isolated unit, and considering how some people have started asking questions along the lines of "Why would I buy Cioks or Voodoo Lab if I can get an isolated unit for $50?", I think it's a fair warning so people don't expect miracles.

(Technically not the post before Mosfed's, but I don't think you meant mapleglo's response.)

SunnBass and bcoomes like this.
  16. T2k5

T2k5

Feb 16, 2011
    Kerava, Finland
    It's easier to make a clean setup on a pedalboard when you don't have to mess with the long daisy chain cables of a 1Spot.

17. bcoomes

bcoomes

Feb 6, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    That's fair - I love a tidy board. I guess it's the misrepresentation that bothers me the most.

T2k5 likes this.
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You will be more than fine. No, its not truly isolated but its not the end of the world. I ran every socket with a full board just fine before. And I had some pedals on there that didnt like being strung together with others like the B7K. Still, no biggie. It handled them just fine. Was it the quietest board ever? No. But I run my B7K into a Pedal Power ISO5 now and it still makes a little noise so there you go.

My point, you will be fine. As long as you keep each out under 100ma an out, youll be more than fine. I will also suggest that if you do get it, and you plug it in and it is making noise you dont like, try a different power outlet in the house. It was a tad touchy to a certain outlet in my apt. But overall, for $50 new, to run a full board that carries mostly analogue pedals and or other low MA draw pedal, you really cant beat the PP5.

19. I have a mix of 6 analog and digital pedals, some cheap, some not. All 9v and run off a One Spot with no issues. I told myself I would buy the Voodoo or Walrus Audio's power supply if I felt like I needed to, but haven't. That said I know certain pedals are picky on power, and there is a limit of how much the one spot will power when it comes to demanding pedals like digital delays.

I actually find it nice and tidy since I can tuck the one spot wires away underneath the way mine is built, so these non-isolated power supplies have been easy to pass on.

20. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    BBE Supa-Charger under a Pedaltrain for 4 years. No issues. Whatever works. I only had to buy it once and it is more flexible than some of the less expensive options.