1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedalboard Problems!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassTheElliot, Apr 12, 2015.

1. BassTheElliot

BassTheElliot

Apr 12, 2015
    Hi I'm new to TalkBass.com. I recently decided to add some more pedals into my pedalboard as it gives me a wider range of options, but whenever I plug in I get a high frequency signal coming out of my amp like a siren. At first I thought it may have been power so I used batteries for each pedal. It wasn't solved. I then thought it might have been not enough power. Long story short I still haven't been able to fix the problem. I have also taken out pedals and seen if that makes a difference (it doesn't). Having more than 3 pedals makes the noise returns. Can anyone help?????

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Please tell us what the signal chain from start to finish, we might be able to help....

3. BassTheElliot

BassTheElliot

Apr 12, 2015
    Starts with
    XVive PT-03 Tuner
    Digitech Bass Squeeze
    Crybaby Bass
    Boss Chorus
    Berhinger Overdrive BOD400
    At first thought it might have been the overdrive pedal as it is cheap.

4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Are U going straight to amp or effects loop?

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    How are you powering them?

Bassmike62 and Billfordofau like this.
  6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    You should be able to run those pedals together without an issue.

Something isn't grooving together. No experience with the bass squeeze - Any three pedals create the sound? Very weird. And this is before you even have signal going to the pedals?

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. First try removing only one pedal at a time from the chain.

If the problem persists, replace the pedal and remove the next one.

dgrizzly, nicopiano and TrickPanda like this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Check cables and connections as well.

TrickPanda likes this.
  9. BassTheElliot

BassTheElliot

Apr 12, 2015
    I have checked my cables, I have removed a pedal at a time trying to find out which one it was. I'm going straight to the amp. I starting powering them from a simple 9volt supply with daisy chain but it persisted so switched to batteries.

10. BassTheElliot

BassTheElliot

Apr 12, 2015
    Would a multi-way power supply? I don't want to spend out without knowing if it worked.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You need to figure out which pedal or cable is causing the problem.

Running the pedals on fresh batteries would virtually eliminate it being a power problem, unless you're trying to power a 12V pedal with 9V (which shouldn't be possible)

12. BassTheElliot

BassTheElliot

Apr 12, 2015
    They are all 9v pedals, and i have tested all the cables individually. I will try all the things that have been suggested, thank you!

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Thankfully you don't have a million pedals.

But just hook them all up - you get the noise. Then one at a time, remove pedals. If the noise persists, replace the pedal and move onto the next one. It should be obvious pretty quickly which pedal is causing the problem. No way it's a power issue if you are using batteries.

14. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Try a different bass if possible

15. ...And welcome to TalkBass, BassTheElliot. :thumbsup:

friendlybass and BassTheElliot like this.
  16. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    Every time I've heard something like that it was due to a cable (patch or instrument) not quite seated fully. I've got a 2 year old that seems to mess with stuff when I'm not looking. I'm sure you've checked that, and especially since you've tried several configurations.

BassTheElliot and HolmeBass like this.
  17. Sometimes it's a pedal that doesn't like being after another pedal. My IdiotBox Lazer fuzz causes all kinds of weirdness if it is after my Boss PS-6. Works fine after. You might a have a situation like that. Good luck.

18. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Does any one pedal do it?

19. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    I feel like every time I see this problem it is a ground loop issue. Try an isolated power supply and it may resolve the issue. Ebtech makes a cool little passive box that will also help. It is a gig essential if your rig needs more than one plug.
    Ebtech HE-2 2-Channel Stereo Hum Eliminator | Sweetwater.com

20. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    He's using an isolated power supply...batteries.