Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedalboard Puzzle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hoffman6000, Nov 2, 2005.

1. I have a wiring problem and would like opinions on a solution.

My recent tone quest has brought me to an idea. I want to split my signal to have one non-affected signal path and one with overdrive. At the end of the signal path, I would like to combine these signals and run them to my amp. This will cure the "low-end dropout" of overdrive pedals. I have contacted David Boggs at Loooper.com and Loopmaster.com, and they can't build a pedal that will do this, so I'm wondering if anyone has a solution that isn't going to clutter my rig with a mixingboard or require me to bring 2 amps?

2. get a mixer?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A Boss LS-2 will do that easily.
    So will a Loooper with a blender knob, so I really don't know why Dave Boggs would build that.

4. TuckLM

TuckLM

Apr 4, 2005
    I use a little Behringer 802 mixer to address this issue. Channel one is clean all the time. Channel two is effects. Channel three is effected signal from octave box. Mix to taste. Works very well.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You can use two A/B boxes set to A+B, one to split at the front end, and the other to recombine. You could also use a mini mixer like the Rolls, which is about the size of a stompbox. And if you really just want to split the signal then you could built a junction box with no controls. Get three 1/4" mono jacks, a project box, and some wire. Solder it up and go.

6. Jazz Ad

Why bothering with mixers, Y cables and all that stuff ?
    That's what effect loopers are for.

7. FYI, I got a loooper for this exact reason (blending 50/50 clean and wet), but with more than 1 effect in the loop, the wet side dropped volume considerably. I asked Dave about it and he said there were "too many buffers in the loop".

You're right, though, that the Boss LS-2 will do exactly what he's asking, since you can adjust the levels and ratios of each loop. But, some people just fear/loathe Boss.

I agree that soldering, Y-cables, dedicated mixers, etc. are all complicated solutions to a rather simple dilemma.

8. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Not knowing what amp you have, and what it's capabilities are, I'll take a stab at it. It's not really proper protocol, but if your amp has an effects loop with a blend control, try running your effects into the amp's pre, and then take a line out from your effects loop to the OD and then from the OD back into the effects return. Use the blend knob on the amp to add the proper amount of OD.

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Got a question about this thing:

Does it work as a "normal looper" ? If you have it set up like this:

bass -> paralooper -> amp
    .............|.......|
    ..........OD/dist/fuzz

Lets say that the od/dist/fuzz is always on, will it bypass it when the paralooper is turned off?

10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Because he wants to blend his straight signal with the effected signal. If he just wanted to insert an effect into the chain w/ true bypass then a Loooper would be fine. Since he is looking for blend then he has a choice of passive mixing or active mixing. Passive mixing can be done with splitters, or resistance mixers, or you can use a mixer with buffered inputs and gain control. Since he didn't want a mixer on his pedalboard I figured that using a splitter or A/B as a passive mixer would do the trick.

11. Jazz Ad

Loooper with passive mixing :
    [​IMG]

Boss LS-2 for active mixing :
    [​IMG]

See ? no need for Y cables and stuff.

12. Thank you for all the help. I'm not completely sold on the boss pedal because I fear the boss quality of tone but it has every option I need. I'd be going out on a limb if I asked if it was true bypass like the Loooper. The tone I'm really looking for is that King's X type layered tone. Lots of transperent clean signal with a blend of OD for edge. I'll be attinuating the dirty signal with a volume pedal for precise amounts of edge. Just don't want to loose that satisfying low end. I play a Lakland or Pedulla into an assortment of OD's, wha's and craziness and finally land on an Eden Time Traveller with an Eden 4x10. It's a versitile rig for the working bassist. But I'm always trying to reach the holy grail on my tone quest. I'm sure many feel my pain when I say it's a never settling money pit adventure.
    I will buy the boss, and if it doesn't work, I'll sell it or put it in the pile my wife likes to call "the boxes with knobs graveyard".
    Thanks Jazz Ad, the pictures did the trick!

13. Jazz Ad

Caution with the passive Blend.
    As raised by Mo'Phat (and also Boggs on his own site), it doesn't always work well.

14. Well, it doesn't switch the loop on or off, but with the blend control set to it's maximum (or minimum, depending on your perspective) it should isolate what's in the loop pretty well. However, how well it isolates will depend on the impedances and gain present in the loop.

The thing about this unit is that is more or less just a shell for a DIY custom job. That is to say, it encompases the basics, but if you want to add more features to it you can.