1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedalboard related: Gig with Jojo Mayer and Karsh Kale tomorrow night...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnDavisNYC, Sep 26, 2008.

1. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    I am not sure if it is totally lame of my to post this here, but I'm playing at Joe's Pub in NYC tomorrow night with Jojo and Karsh... Takuya from Nerve is playing too, and there will be some other peeps, as well.

Should be tons of fun, Karsh is awesome, and this is part of the Joe's Pub 10th anniversary. We play late, like 11ish.

Anyway, there will be lots of effects, so I thought it might be pertinent. If anyone comes down we can nerd out on pedals. I have to figure out what I'm going to bring tomorrow... I think I might try out my studio partner's rotovibe on my bass for pitch modulation fun....

sweet times.

John

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Man, I wish I could go! I'm on the opposite side of the country though :)

3. electricimprov

electricimprov

Mar 15, 2008
    So Cal
    Now that's a righteous gig.

Would love to see that board!

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, can we at least get a run down on what you'll be bringing, for those of us who won't be able to attend.

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Perhaps pictures too?

6. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    John,
    SOUND CLIPS! PLEASE, SOUND CLIPS!
    I have been freaking out on you and Tim Lefebvre's sound lately. I must know how it is done. You have caused a complete reorganization of my pedal board and burnt a hole in my pocket. Thanks Alot!

7. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'll try... it sounds kinda lame, since I co-own a recording studio, but it is really hard for me to actually set up my **** and record it... always making records with bands, clients, etc...

I will try soon... my pedalboard is totally in flux right now.

John

8. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    damn..i live close enough to go, but i have to do sessions tomarrow night.

bummer..id love to see your effects rig..

9. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    hey if you could even take a hi-res pic of your pedalboard in all its glory and a general description of what sort of sounds you can get out of it it would be a massive help

10. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    well, my board is kinda half built right now, due to some new acquisitions and some broken crap.... but the board will be:

OC2 > Woolly Mammoth > NoiseBox > BugCrushMicro > Moog Filter > XO BassBalls > DOD Phasor > Rotovibe > Line6 DL4 (borrowing this, as mine is dead... might replace with a gigadelay...)

Will try to remember my camera.

John

11. rnilson

rnilson

Mar 8, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    How does the bug crush micro sound? Does it basically just make your signal sound like it is coming out of an Atari?
    Do you bypass the Mooger when it is not being used?

12. Dr. Lobotomy

Dr. Lobotomy

Sep 27, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hey John...a bit random but...about 4 years ago I had a mini-class with you at The Collective on Drum/Bass rhythm section stuff. Among other things you showed us how to use an octave pedal as a square-wave synth generator. I totally dug the class and it opened up my ideas a bit of what I'd like to play.
    Well...I got sucked deep into med school shortly after that summer at The Collective and stopped playing for about 3 years. This year I started playing again and yesterday I hooked up a boss octave pedal up to my pedal board for the first time and started playing stuff along the lines of what we were working on in that seminar.
    It was actually playing that stuff that brought me to talkbass tonight for the first time in years to get some more effects ideas as I was having so much fun with my rig tonight.

Hope your gig rips tonight. I'd love to see it if you guys ever get out to Portland, OR.

Thanks for the intro to live drum/bass/electronica

13. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    That is awesome! I'm glad to hear from someone who took that class and got into some new stuff!

The gig was great, lots of fun. I didn't have my camera because my wife took it to go see Pinback... sorry...

anyway,

the gig was great, wish some of you could have made it!

cheers,
    John

14. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i would've loved to go! please tell me if you ever end up in the L.A. area.

i'm glad the gig kicked a$$!!! :)

15. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Come on man come to Mexico!!

16. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    here is my pedal board from last night, assuming I figured out how to attach photos correctly.

cheers,
    John

Attached Files:

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    That sir is a mess :p

Also look into the Mojo Hand Nebula to replace that Dod 201 ;) I think you'll find them very similar except for the bas bypass and hiss :D

18. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    the board is really thrown together right now... some of the pedals don't even have velcro on them, and I need to buy a bunch more George L's cable...

I promise it will be looking neat sometime in the next 5 years.

I really need to find the time (and the pedals I really want) to make it more permanent. Back when I had my old board (before it got trashed by one too many airline security agents) it was really neat and well put together.... it has been all downhill since then.

I need the motivation, tho, so thanks for kicking my ass!

yeah, it looks pretty bodged... even our two cats are staring at it like '***, mate?'

tomorrow I might try to get it together. The Rotovibe was pretty cool, but I don't need the rocker pedal... I thought it might be good for dnb type LFO rate change, but on a loud stage it is too finicky to really be able to tell if I am making the right sound...

John

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Mojovibe, Aquavibe, Luna would all be great replacments :D