Pedalboard set-up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Barfly, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Currently, my set-up is, L to R:

Boss Chorus
    Boss ODB3

What is the difference on where each pedal is placed in the chain? Is this set-up in the correct order?
  2. there can be BIG difference in the order you put your effects in. for you want your chorus running through your overdrive? or do you want your overdrive running through your chorus?

basically that means if you put your chorus effect first, it will affect how the overdrive sounds. if you put the overdrive first, it will affect how the chorus sounds. mix up your pedals in different orders and try and see what you like best.
  3. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    The general rule of thumb I always hear is gain altering pedals (distortion/overdrive) first, time based effects (delay, flange) last. Of course there is no right way or wrong way to set up your effects, only your way, my way, and everybody else's way. I was in a similar situation as you when I first got all my effects. I put them in every order I could, and found that I like my ODB-3 first, BF-2 Flange second, Phase 90 third, Dan-echo fourth, and DTR-1Pro tuner last. So for me the rule held to be true, but it might not for you. Switch them around, see if you prefer to distort your chorus, or chorus your distortion. And more importantly, do it how you want to do it, I can tell you my stories, but it's ultimatly up to you.
  4. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Well, I tried moving them all around, and even running them through the effects loop on my head (Yorkville Bassmaster 400 H). I found I lost a lot of 'Umph' through the EL.
    I think I like the tuner, Chorus, OD set-up. I don't use the OD too often,in fact, I was thinking about getting rid of the OD and the Chorus and incorporating a BassBalls pedal.

Anyone have an opinion on this?