Pedalboard setup help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Hey guys it isnt that complicated of a setup but what order should my pedals go. I am directing it this way. Bass>Wah>Compression>Distortion>Chorus>Amp. There is a certain order you are supposed to put your pedals in, or so I hear. Gimme some enlightenment. Thanks.
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    technically, there's no only order for pedals. You can arrange them however, but some ways sound better than others. like a delay before distortion may sound like poo poo, whereas it may sound cool afterwards.

Generally time based effects(flanger, phaser, chorus, delay) go after amplitude based effects(Distortion, compression, EQ, etc)
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    with wah and distortion, you might want try wah before distortion and vice versa. With wah after distortion you get a great 'quacking' sound.

So, I'd say either bass->wah->distortion->comp->chorus
    or bass -> dist -> wah -> comp -> chorus.
  4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    A fat distortion after the chorus gives a great sound too. At home I have the EBS Unichorus between the bass and my amp (which can give serious overdriven sounds) and it sounds fantastic. When I played a riff last week, instantly a guy came in.. 'What the h*ck is that sound?! Cool man, you really got to use that one!'
  5. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Another vote to experiment with the placement of wah and distortion... personally, I prefer placing the wah (and other filters) after distortion, but you should hear both options (before/after) to decide which is best for you.

Also experiment with the compression... you may wanna have it before the wah/filters, else it cuts down on the dynamics of the wah. Of course, that may be exactly why you placed it after the wah in the first place! :p
  6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    compress before wah. it's the coolest.
  7. How about with Wah and Chorus and Flange? The Wah before the Time based effects or after?
  8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I would say before, but if you get a really cool sound doing the wah after those then go for it
  9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I would do it like this:

Bass > Compressor > Wah > Chorus > Distortion.

The order depends in fact on what you like the most. The compressor is better to put before the wah, to control it before you get into seriously changing sounds. At home I have my chorus before the distortion which sounds great, bot vice versa would also do the job I think.
  10. manchild5000

Jul 27, 2009
    Ventura CA
    So as not to create another pedal board post, I have been tweaking with mine lately and came up with the following configuration:

bass>tuner>eq>soul preacher compressor>sans amp overdrive>dulop bass wah>bass big muff>bass balls>digitech bass chorus>mxr auto q>digitech synth wah

Does anyone have any other suggestions as far as cool placements of pedals, cool pedal parings, and good settings for the above pedals?
    Any and all input would be great!

Also, if anyone has found any other cool pedals that work well with bass, let me know. Im looking to get a octave, delay, and a phaser pedal on top of all of this so if you know of any great companies, I want to hear it.

And please, for those of you who don't think bass players need pedals, don't reply with useless asinine bashing, because I will not listen to you.
  11. I'd run it like this:

Comp (smooth out your tone and playing)
    Wah (after this you still have dynamic range to play with so it's more "natural" sounding" - depends on how hard you like your compression though)
    Distortion (gain based effects after eq generally works best IMO)
    Chorus (modulation after gain works best IMO)

Experiment new combinations though, you might something really cool by going against the grain but as a rule of thumb the above suggestions allow each effect their best performance (again, IMO).
  12. the search button works pretty well too! however it seems to be getting a little cluttered lately
  13. For the record, I have mine like this:

Boss TU-2 (tuner)
    Boss LMB-3 (limiter)
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah (synth)
    SansAmp PBDR (overdrive)
    Boss CEB-3 (chorus)
    Boss DD-3 (delay)

I've managed to come up with a seriously fat synth tone (with an added octave below) that sounds very vintage by having all the pedals on (gain on halfway on the PBDR, tuner off of course).

The key is just like cooking with a lot of spices: a little of each to enhance the other flavours. Too much of anything can ruin your sound.
  14. Dogfish

Dogfish Supporting Member

May 15, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bass>Bass Big Muff>Crybaby>Boss DD-20 Delay>Amp

I like the sound of the Muff being colored by the crybaby.
    With the delay at the end it can continue the effected (or non effected) sound after the front pedals are switched.
  15. NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    my delay is ALWAYS at the end, it makes transitions and endings really cool,

i like to end a song with feedback, then turn off the distortion pedal to kill the feedback and the delay pedal echos it out.

my pedal chain is:
    bass > Korg DT-10 (tuner) > digitech bass synth wah > boss ds-1 (distortion)> ibanez ts-9 (tube overdrive) > boss dd-3 (delay) > amp
  16. +1 for delay is always at the end
    my pedal chain is:
    bass > Crybaby 105Q (wah) > Korg Pitchblack (tuner) > Ibanez pd7 (od/dist) > digitech bass synth wah > boss geb-7 eq > Behri dc9 (comp) > EHX memory toy (delay with modulation) > amp
    i'm thinking about to re-arrange those pedals, any enlightenment TBers? :)
  17. Remember that each effects pedal changes the sound of everything that is put into it. So, if the distortion is after everything else, it is distorting all the other effects pedals as well as the bass.

I have my setup like this:

Bass-->Tuner-->Big Muff Distortion-->Morley Bass Wah-->Digitech Reverb-->Amp.

I'm thinking about redoing it, though, so that the wah and reverb are in the effects loop.
  18. g_familia

Nov 23, 2010
    the best is to stand there for hours on end playing your lines constantly changing the order of the pedals till you find the order that suits your sound the best. that said, get a tuner that can kill the sound instantly and put that first. the rest is up to you... but filters and fuzz/distortion tend to go well before the modulation effects and delay.
  19. Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Modulation/delay/reverb effects are supposed to be placed after distortion/ovedrive.
  20. i just got a phaser, MXR phase 90, because the lack of space on my pedalcase, the phaser replace the behri comp, and i switch the order between the filter (digitech bsw) with the OD/dist, so now the chain goes like this:
    note: the crybaby are not in the photo, it can't fit in the pedalcase, so i placed it outside the pedalcase

before the phaser came, still got the comp, and the digitech was after the pd7 dist
    bass > Crybaby 105Q (wah) > Korg Pitchblack (tuner) > Ibanez pd7 (od/dist) > digitech bass synth wah > boss geb-7 equalizer > behringer DC9 comp > EHX memory toy (delay with modulation) > amp

after the phaser came and replace the comp, switch the order between digitech and pd7 dist
    bass > Crybaby 105Q (wah) > Korg pitchblack (tuner) > digitech bass synth wah > Ibanez pd7 (od/dist) > boss geb-7 equalizer > mxr phaser > EHX memory toy (delay with modulation) > amp

any other suggestion about the pedal order?