1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pedalboard signal/power snake

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tim99, Jun 12, 2003.

1. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    So, I have been reading about putting the time based effects in the effects loop of my amp (SVT 4 Pro), and I am working toward a pedalboard (VooDoo PedalPower on the way), and I have been thinking about a snake of one power cable and 3 signal cables. My amp has a power outlet, an effects send, and an effects return on the back. And of course an instrument in on the front. Is there a problem putting the ac power cable zip tied to those signal cables? Has anyone done this? I am kind of a neat freak and would like how neat and easy to setup this would be. (So now I would not step on them, I would trip over them :eek: .)

Yes, I used search.

No, I do not want my effects in a rack behind me with only controls in front of me. I want my pedals in front of me, below the microphone, with my speaker cabinets behind me.

I have three monster cables, performer 500, Monster Rock, that I just dug out of the closet that I could use.

Tim.

2. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I've done that very thing with no AC hum or interference of any kind. I suggest you use some type SO cable. It is the round kind used in good extension cords. If your bass is active, I doubt you will have trouble because of its low impedance. Passive pick ups however, I don't know, never tried it. :cool:

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Tim again.

Active.

Have been reading about DI (Sadowsky), and threads on the Tool bassist. I have a Fulltone Bass-Drive. Do people use a DI in/out in front of their pedals? Even with an active bass? What is the advantage?

Or does that Tool bassist use the DI as a clean to mix at the board? If I sound confused, I am.

So I plan to put:

My active bass
    Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (TU-2 out)
    Bass-Drive pedal
    my amp's preamp
    effect out
    chorus pedal
    delay pedal
    effect in
    my amp's power amp
    my speaker cabinets

Any comments on the order or the components or a Sadowsky somewhere in this?

I am starting a new rock cover band. I think this is all I need. (Some would say more than I need...)

Tim.

4. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I run the power wires with the signal all the time, with no problem at all. As far as your chain
    I run the volume pedal at the end.And run only clean signal to the board pre -effects that way the house has the bottom end when I use some of the effects.I do use monster cables now, but I ran el-cheapo cables in the past and had no problems running them along with the power to the board.:)[​IMG]