Pedals all Bassist should have?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LowSide121, Oct 22, 2011.

1. LowSide121

LowSide121

Jul 7, 2011
    In your own opinions what pedals should every bassist have on their pedal board?

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Tuner

/thread ;)

3. devilock76

devilock76

May 25, 2009
    I second tuner, unless they have a non pedal format tuner already. Other than that I don't think there is one pedal that ALL bass players should have. Although certain genres may have certain requirements. There are some pedals that are generally good to have if your amp head/stack doesn't cover it. For example an OD might make up for lack of growl from an amp, an eq pedal if your amps eq section is weak or non switchable and you need it to be switchable mid song. Maybe a compressor pedal if you depend on compression and it is not in your rack.

Me personally I came from multifx so I am just building back to what I like to use from the MFX days in stomp pedals.

So right now I use a MXR GT-OD, for guitar but it is a great overdrive that can get to the point of being fuzzy if need be. I used to prefer fuzz over OD but that has changed.

MXR Bass Envelope pedal - after many A/B tests I found I greatly prefer this over the various Q-trons.

I also have a line 6 g30 wireless so that technically is on my "pedal" board and a korg pedal tuner.

Things I am looking to buy:

EHX Micro POG

EHX Memory Man

Ken

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't think it is that there re any pedals which every assist "needs".
    There are jobs for which certain sounds, hence certain pedals might be beneficial though.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Tuner, some type of DI, and a compressor....unless you don't need / like one. If my rig were to suddenly go up in flames, I could hobble through the balance of the gig with those three.

Riis

6. Octave and distortion.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Unless you only play one venue, always, and never travel, then you probably don't need any if all you want is what your amp's preamp section gives to you.

For the rest of us, I think owning a good preamp pedal is a must. At one church, I play straight to PA. At another, I have my GK amp. When I've traveled to other churches, it is usually straight to their PA, so my "preamp" pedal is my FEA Growler. Between those two, I define my sound. My MXR EQ is a close second, because I use it with PA systems, but not my GK amp.

8. That is exactly what I was going to write. :smug:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021