1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedals keep switching off!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duncorama, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Hello! I've been having some problems with my pedals recently.

I use a Boss OD 20 Multi Distortion Pedal, a Boss Super Overdrive Pedal and a Boss Mega Distortion, usually they all work fine but sometimes the power just cuts out on them. I know it's not the mains because it's happened at different venues and in the practice room, i've checked my leads and they're all fine as well.

Sometimes when the pedals come back on a bright white light shines out of the back of the Boss OD 20 and the lights flicker on and off.

I use a boss power adapter that connects to one of those extension wires that has 5 jacks on it so i can run multiple pedals off the one adapter.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this might be happening?

2. Check the Boss power supply. It may have overheated at one point and... melted. That happened to my Boss PSU - it decided to get very hot and melt so that the back 'panel' of the PSU actually came loose. It doesn't work that well any more and turns on and off at will, just like yours.

3. It *MIGHT* be insufficient power to the pedals.

What is the output of the power adapter? It'll have somewhere on the label a rating in mA (milliamps). Add up the total consumption of the pedals (from memory this will be on the label on the base of the pedal - if not it'll be in the manual) and make sure it's less than the output of the power adapter.

4. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Thanks for the replies, i'll double check my pedals and see if it's the power rating like you said.
    I'm pretty sure the power pack itself is ok, it looks ok.
    Cheers for the replies guys!

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The OD-20 draws something like 100ma, considerably more power than the other two single pedals. Using an adapter for the OD-20 and just daisy chaining the other two might fix your problem.

6. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Aaaaaaaah! I didn't realise that which is embarrasing as i should have thought of this...what with it being a multi effect.
    When you say daisy chain, how do you mean?

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Daisy chaining is when you use one power supply, but have it provide power to each pedal. For example, I use a 1 Spot for daisy chaining my pedals.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-1-Spot-Combo-Pack?sku=150373

As you can see, it comes with another cable to put power to each of your pedals.

Which leads me to suggest getting a 1 Spot, or something like it. It has a lot of power in it, so if you decide to add my pedals, you wouldn't have to worry too much, unless its something that takes up a ridiculous amount of power.

8. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Yeah that's what i use at the moment, but i thought what the other guy was saying was that maybe the multi distortion pedal takes up so much power that the other pedals can't run off it.
    Is that right?

9. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'll be honest, I kinda skimmed through your first post. But yeah, your OD-20 might be taking up a lot of power. I once had a Maestro Stage Phaser (which is a HUGE pedal) that didn't really work, but still turned on. Whenever I would plug or unplug it, every other pedal on my pedalboard would just turn off.

But I would also like to point back to my previous suggestion. If your current power supply can't handle all that power, I'd say get one that offers more. By the looks of it, you wouldn't need to get the whole shebang with a daisy chain and adapters. Just an actual supply with more mAs in it.

10. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    That sounds like a good idea, is it safe to use a power pack that's providing more power than what the pedals need?
    Sorry for the amount of questions but cheers for your patience!

11. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Oh no problem. I like helping people!

And it's safe. Your pedals are only going to draw what they need. So for example, if I have a power pack that has 1000 mAs, I could run two pedals that run at 200mA and one at 300mA, because that would only draw 700mAs. I'd still have 300mA left if I decide to add another pedal.

12. Duncorama

Duncorama

Nov 7, 2007
    Nice one fella, i shalll try that and see what happens.

13. Definitely try the 1 spot or the Godlyke.
    The Boss adapter only puts 200mA, where as the Godlyke puts out like 1700mA! Should be plenty for all your pedals.