1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals, laptop, amp head

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JES

JES Supporting Member

I'm getting more into using my laptop for effects. I record so I already have amazing plugins and some of them do stuff not available in hardware. And I'm doing looping in a new project. But I have two questions:

Those of you who use a laptop and amp on stage, how do you protect the laptop? Does it sit next to the amp on a chair or something?

AND, what's a good interface for getting the sound in and out of the computer either before the amp head or in the effects loop? I've got an RME Babyface that I love but it's going to put out a line-level signal from an XLR out, which I gather shouldn't go into the input of my TB500 even if I hook it up XLR-1/4". I'm looking at the MOTU Ultralite Mk4, which with its inputs could also be really fun for switching pedals, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I don't, but for what a good laptop costs, I would get something sturdy and stable. Ideas: Laptop Stands | Sweetwater.com

Stuff from computer suppliers can be cheesey junk or for money something sturdy. Metal is money, so no getting around that. I've spent $100 to $200 for LCD stands easy. Same thing with a different end. You don't need it to swing, so maybe you can get something sturdy for less.

JES likes this.