1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals (Need Help xD)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jkk17, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I'm new to the scene of pedals and I have some doubts...

1.Are there any specific pedals for guitar or bass , for example , do I need to buy a bass specific pedal or one pedal serves both bass and guitar?
    2. Can you give me some cheap and cool distortion pedals? (I dont want anything professional , just to mess with it xD.

2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    No such thing as bass and guitar specific pedals. But some pedals will cut lows pretty aggressively so they are better suited for guitar.

As far as reasonably priced distortion pedals - check out the Broughton Terraformer, Broughton Bass Box, Southampton Fifth Gear, Southampton Boosted Fuzz

Jkk17 and DirtyDuke like this.
  3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What do you consider cheap? There are quite a few Pedals of all types designed to work better with bass. The Reissue Big Muff(green) By Electro Harmonix is a reasonably priced Fuzz. The pedals mentioned by Mosfed are also very good pedals and not too expensive. You can do even better by buying used . The best advice I can give is when you find a pedal or pedals you are interested in come and ask about them you will get plenty of info as to if they lose lows or work well for Bass and much more.

Jkk17 likes this.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    While some pedals work for guitar and bass, there are many pedals these days that are designed to be bass specific.

Jkk17 likes this.
  5. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    When you’re in love, the whole world is Canadian.

Jkk17, Microbass and Mosfed like this.
  6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    electro harmonix, mooer, and danelectro make some keenly priced pedals that are great for bass and guitar as well.
    Ebay and facebook are also good places to score secondhand pedals, as well as the classifieds on the bass centric websites like here and basschat in the uk

Jkk17 likes this.
  7. Unfortunately for the new users, the effects world is ridiculously vast. There's a lot of options to play with, and finding something you like in a solo settng will almost certainly not translate to a band setting.

There's a lot of people that are going to disagree with this, but I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by picking up a zoom ms60b. It's inexpensive, has a small footprint and will introduce you to a number of distortion types quickly. Once you get generally how distortions work you'll have a better idea what you want, and what questions to ask about them without taking a crapload of time and money flipping.

Jkk17 likes this.
  8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While there are no hard-set "guitar" or "bass" specific pedals, as others have said many pedals choke out your low end and are unsuitable for bass. A very infamous example of this would be the Ibanez Tube Screamer.

As for distortion, that's a whole other can of worms - do you want distortion, overdrive, or fuzz? Mild or heavy? When I was shopping for dirt I spent a lot of time on Youtube listening to different pedals and rigs to get an idea of what I wanted then started trying them out in the wild. Here's a good example of OD vs distortion vs fuzz to get you started:

[youtube]

Jkk17 likes this.
  9. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thanks for explaining it to me :D I liked the demos that I saw on youtube on those pedals but unfortunately I can´t afford it

10. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thank you for the advice and I will take the Electro Harmonix in consideration,I really liked it

11. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thanks . 1 question , is Mooer's Black Secret good for Bass ?

12. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    I loved it , I can see myself enjoying lots of hours playing with the different effects xD

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  13. Jkk17

Jkk17

Jan 9, 2019
    Portugal
    Thank you so much!! I prefered overdrive , I thinks it's more cool xD

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021