pedals or amp for dirty tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Aug 10, 2013.

1. I have a similar setup. A compact Genz Benz amp, tube pre and ss power. I use pedals and its a great sound. Never tried an all tube setup, but I am interested.

I use the dwarfcraft great destroyer and electro harmonix Big bass muff.

2. I like older solid state amps that get a little grind to them (think Bob Weston of Shellac). Then I use pedals to take that even further. I actually just got a pawn shop Peavey combo that has a great grunt to it. I run my Rat Tail into it and then become very happy.

So I guess my rambling answer is both.

3. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    shows - l2k or sb2 with overdriven d180
    practice - vintage jazz with wooly mammoth
    recording - friend's jaguar with geiger counter into dr q

4. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Pedals as I like my amp clean and fat. For the record I use three dirt pedals on my board so could never get that with am amp that gives me the flexibility that the pedals do

5. DannyBlueOrigin

DannyBlueOrigin

Jun 19, 2013
    Stoke-on-Trent
    Endorsing Artist: Dean Guitars
    I like to use a mix of the two, I've got my head (Peavey VB-2) set up sorta dirty, sorta clean, then I'm running a Rat Tail into it (hopefully that'll soon be blended with a Grey Stache & a BDPG)

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I use my board. Even if I had an all tube head I still think I'd use my board most times. I really love the grindy/raunchy OD I can get out of my Fulltone OCD. I also use an ODB3 through my B7K which is an on a lot grind and I also use a Fuzzrocious Rat King and Demon King. One or two of these may be coming off soon as I have some redundancy going on on my board. But pedals all the way for me. I also have a bass bloom I just got that I dont think is going to work out.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Definitely pedals. My amp is pretty transparent.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I use a Mesa tube amp (Buster 200) for my clean baseline tone and then use a variety of dirt pedals for varying degrees of dirty tone.

9. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I usually like my amp clean with lots of warmth. I might dial in a very slight hair of overdrive at the preamp and then use pedals if I want more.

Darkglass B7K for growly, punchy overdrive, clanky grit and distortion. Xotic BB pre for a touch more warmth and some extra mids.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Pedal or processor to get ready for recording tone. Amp and cab is just sound monitor for that sound. Eden is very nice and heavy overdrive bass tones work well thru them.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    both...?
    I have the Orange TerrorBass 500, and love it! I dial in a clean-ish tone that I love, and when I need to dirty it up I have pedals.
    btw, I play rock, prog, metal, singer-songwriter stuff, country, whatever on this thing. It's got grit and hair but isn't overly wooly.

Question is, do you need a truly clean signal? If not, then ditch the "clean" amp and get the Orange.

Rather, another way to put it: Use the amp for your baseline, whether that be clean, a little dirty, or full-on raunchy, and use pedals to augment even further.
    you can always dirty up a signal, but you cannot clean up a dirty signal.

12. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    The beautiful thing with a lot of hybrid heads is you can get taste of valve grit without having to crank your volume (and some SS amps can cop this as well).

From my experience, Ashdown and Orange are great at this but I'm using an Aguilar TH500 currently.

13. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I did much the same as the OP with an Eden WT-500. Set it for a nice deep clean tone and dirty it up with pedals. Ive continued to do the same thing with my Streamliner 900, set it for a clean tube tone and run pedal dirt into it. For the various covers my band is playing, its been a great way to switch genres.

Currently using: Swell B-Drive, Darkglass BK3, Fuzzrocious Dark Driving, Pickle Pie B, and an IE Oxide for dirt.

14. Kiser96

Kiser96

Jul 29, 2013
    EHX Bass Big Muff will get a real dirty distortion.

15. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Marshall Jackhammer!

16. sarsippius787

sarsippius787 Say it right! Say it with pleasure!

Jul 10, 2013
    Puerto Rico
    +1

17. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    I just ordered a Fuzzrocious Rat King.

I want my bass to feel like a black tentacle gripping the listeners midsection. I want it to make old people uncomfortable and small children cry.

If I want.

Cheers!

MJW

18. +1. Love that pedal.

I go ampless when I can, and use a pedalboard/iOS rig. I combine a few pedals with Jamup XT Pro running on an iPhone 4S. Sounds beautiful.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021