1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals order... EBS related!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by attackbass, Mar 23, 2009.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    Hey,

I recently became an EBS pedal artist last week, and recieved my pedals this afternoon and they are awesome and I'm having fun trying to get to grips with all 4 pedals at the same time...

I was wondering tho, in what order they should go in, in the chain. I have a vague Idea but would like to hear other peoples suggestions

The pedals im using are the:
    Valve drive preamp/distortion
    Wah 1 - wah wah pedal
    Multicomp - compressor
    Octabass - octaver

They dont have to be ebs pedals - they an be siliar pedals - I'm jsut interested in the order!

thnaks

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I don't have experience with those EBS pedals,

But I would go like this first:

Octabass > Multicomp > Valve Drive > Wah 1

I'm no experts on wah pedals, it seems some people like them after drive-effects, and other like them before drive-effects.
    It will also depend on how you are going to use your Valve Drive... as overdrive/distortion or as toneshaper with a bit of grit.
    If the latter, then maybe best last in line.

:)

3. Comp -> 8ve -> Dist -> Wah

4. jfunk

jfunk

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I agree on this order.

5. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    ok...

I'm using the compressor for more of a boost on occasions when i do fiddly tapping things etc or for when i want ti squash a big slide on the bass

I'm using the valvdrive i guess mainly as a second dirty channel to my amp than more of a tone shaper

I might look into what timmy c does with rage and also what cliff burton did

It's hard to get to grips with 4 pedals at the same time - I can't decide which one to concentrate on the most lol!

6. 4?! I use 11! How do you think I feel?

7. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Comp > Octave > ValveDrive > wah.

The Octaver will track better with the compressor in front of it.

8. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You've only got four, try every possible combination. It's likely the your favorite won't be suggested by anyone........

There is no wrong way to order them.

9. I've had the best results with my octave at the very beginning of my chain, before the compressor. It seems to track better that way. Of course, this will vary from instrument to instrument. The way to go, IMO, is just to try out every possible combination and see what works best. There's a conventional wisdom, of course, but you might find that your individual needs are met best by an effects chain that might strike others as unusual.

10. First of all congrats on your endorsement!

My board consist of quite a few EBS pedals. I'm constantly trying out different sequenses but always I return to the following order:

Bass > OctaBass > BassIQ > MultiComp > MultiDrive > UniChorus > WahOne > Amp

I also have a second MultiDrive that I sometimes add before the BassIQ. As previously stated there are no right nor wrong way to connect them. One thing to keep in mind though is that you might want to keep the OctaBass as the first pedal in your chain for best operation. I don't own the ValveDrive myself but if I did it would probably replace the MultiDrive right before the UniChorus.

I would say that the key pedal of the bunch is the MultiComp. In my case it's always on and some effects sounds better compressed than others. Personally I'm not a big fan of compressed overdrive or chorus/flanger.

Good luck!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would think an octaver would need a stronger and more dynamic signal than a comp would give it. Then your dirt, then your wah. Then your dirt followed by the wah, so the wah acts on the dirt signal rather than a clean signal. Might be cool to do it the other ways as well...see what you think.

12. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I tend to agree about the octaver/comp, but many folks find that it improves tracking.

The ebs tracks pretty darn well though so I wouldn't worry about it

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Hmm... maybe I do it wrong.

I go Drive->Wah->Comp->Octave.

I like the drive pre-compressor so that my fingers can control the strength of signal to the drive.

Drive before the wah just makes the wah sound better to me.

The comp after the wah can help even out some volume peaks/troughs of the wah.

The comp before the octave help insure the octave gets enough input signal to track properly.

Of course, having the drive & wah before the octave means I can't really use either with the octave, or it won't track well.

I suppose Comp#1->Octave->Drive->Wah->Comp#2 might solve that problem.