1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedals, Pedalboards and The Like

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sixpack324, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello all.....Long time lurker......First time poster.....

Onto the good stuff...

I've noticed that a lot of posters here use individual pedals mounted in pedal boards.

What I can't figure out about this configuration is this....

When you are playing live and during a song you need to switch from a clean tone with chorus and reverb to a distorted tone with phaser and a pitch-shifter......How do you do that seamlessly?

I don't use individual pedals at all because I can't figure out how to do this. I use a processor with user-editable patches. My processor holds 99 different editable patches and I can instantly access 4 at a time.

So, given the hypothetical scenario I described above, I would write a patch for the clean tone with chorus and reverb and assign it to patch 1. Then' I'd write a patch for the distortion, phaser and pitch=shifter. When I need to change effects, I just tap on 1 foot button and I've got the sound I need when I need it.

I'd like to figure out how you guys with pedals are changing multiple effects seamlessly on stage since my processor gave up the ghost and it would certainly be cheaper to buy individual pedals as I can afford them rather than come up with $500-$600 all at once for a new processor.

2. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    This can be done by loopers. Essentially you build a chain with the effect in it you want. For example I use three chains (loops):

1: Clean
    2: RAT + OC-2
    3: Muff and Synth effects

Say I want clean plus Muff. I engage loop 3 and I will have Muff and clean at the same time. If I want to add in the RAT then I just activate loop 2 and I will have all three. That's a simplistic case but you can get as complicated as you want. So essentially one switch controls multiple effects.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I think the following 4 products demonstrate great examples of the 4 different 'varieties' of loop switching:

Active (buffered) loop switcher w/ extended routing options
    BOSS U.S. - LS-2: Line Selector

Active or passive loop switcher with active blend control and handy eq, phase and volume controls (the cadillac in my opinion)
    Xotic Effects X-Blender Demo Page

Basic passive switcher
    3-Loop Effect Switcher (Mini Strip), Loop-Master Pedals

For mechanically 'programmed' combinations of various pedals:
    Octa

Then, there's always the world of midi-controlled loop bays... but that's usually massive overkill!

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Or you can just skip the loopers and get this book:

trina-marx-tap-dance.

5. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    :hyper:

Nice.

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    There's many queries that have appeared on music forums about what 'order' to arrange individual pedals.

Others may be able to explain better why a particular-type pedal serves better first, or last on the board, or in front/back of another particular-type pedal.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
  8. its funny you should mention dancing because i dance when i play and then try to turn on pedals while dancing

9. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
  10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    I'm more of a novice...but it just sounds totally different depending on what's first.

Example: I kept hearing people say a Prunes & Custard going into a Woolly Mammoth gets that Muse sound. I subbed an Oxide for the mammoth but could never get that sound....the fuzz just way overpowered the P&C. So I switched the order; putting the fuzz going before the P&C...and there it was. Just like the Muse sound. The P&C was dominant with just a touch of that thick fuzz it needed.

Order really does make a huge difference.

11. NeroJazz

NeroJazz

May 2, 2011
    Denmark
    Something to take into consideration is pedal placement on the board itself.

Placing the pedals you use most on the front tier and always-on pedals on the back gives you a lot more room to tap dance. Anyways, it's not always nessesary to switch several effects on/off simultaneously, you can pull it off within a second or two and the audience won't notice if you time it right.

12. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    This!

Theres an LS-2 waiting for me at the rockshop, has been for about 2 months. Still thinking do I reeeeaaaallly need it.

13. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    You're right about this, but it's nice to have the ability to do so when the need arises.

Thanks to all for the loop info..........I need to look into that

14. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    At one point I was perfecting this double jump, double pedal foot tap maneuver where I can switch two pedals simultaneously while not applying too much pressure on the footswitch.....it was going cool....until I actually tried to do it WHILE playing.

Kung Fu, man. It can happen.

15. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Once this technique is down, need to find a way to make it look cool

like this guy ------> :cool:

16. I do it with a true bypass looper. One stomp for everything on, one stomp for everything off.

17. The types of scene changes you describe are easiest done on a multi effects like you have been using. There are solutions for individual pedals but to do something as complex as your example it would be fairly expensive.

18. I just got one and it has opened up interesting possibilities on my board, I now run 2 internal loops and mixing those 2 is wicked sounding.

19. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Yeah i definitely want to try it atleast.
    its not going anywhere, I just have to be patient atm, one weeks pay away from getting my ammmmpeg 6x10:bassist: