1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals Send in Amp Head into Protect

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnnyz, May 12, 2010.

1. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    Have had this happen a few times now with 2 different pedals, I'll stomp one on and the amp goes into protect mode. What could be the cause of this?

I run the Carvin BX500 at 2ohms into an Avatar SB12 and a Peavey 210. I don't think 2 ohms is the issue as it happened once at 4 ohms.

My pedal chain is: tuner > bass big muff > VT Bass
    I use batteries.

It has also happened with a compression pedal.

Is this a symptom of a pedal problem? amp problem? cords maybe?

Any hints are appreciated.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    These particular Carvin amps have a history of this problem. They have supposedly fixed the problem. I hear talk of other Carvin amps having the same issue. My RL1000 has only went into protect mode once and that's when I overheated it by bridging it to the wrong ohm cabs.

3. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    Thanks much. Contacted them, will see what they can do for me. Was hoping for a simpler problem. Thanks again.

4. I've owned the BX500 since early Feb 09' and run only a Boss Bass Chorus pedal thru the effects loop. 9 mths after I first owned the BX500 it went into protect mode only 2 times. Carvin gave me a new BX500 and it hasn't done it since. Could have something to do with your overdrive pedals, but I really don't know.

5. I was wondering if one of the pedals or pedal cables might be shorting out, but I'm not sure that would cause the amp to do this.

6. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    I don't think it's one of the pedals, it's happened in all sorts of combination of pedals and with each of them solo. A bad cable... maybe. I'll start swapping them around. Unfortunately, I'm over the year warranty. We'll see what they Carvin has to say.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Like I said, there are many, many people experiencing this problem with this amp, as well as some other Carvin amps. There are threads here about the new B2000 as well as the 1500 having the same issues. I doubt very seriously if it has anything to do with your pedals. Carvin has been proactive in solving these issues on an individual basis and it is likely they will make it right for you.

I like my old RL ( although the preamp has been fried in it for a long time now) but when I get around to buying another head I think I'll be looking at SVTs.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Switching the pedal is causing a transient spike that fools the amp protection circuit into thinking there's an overload. The fault lies in the pedals, though the pedal manufacturers would probably respond that the amp protect circuits are too sensitive.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Interesting. So you think that even though this has been a problem in a lot of these particular amps, it is a problem with an obviously wide array of pedals? Not doubting you understand, just asking is all.

10. johnnyz

johnnyz

Oct 23, 2008
    New Haven, CT
    Huh. How do you control such spikes? Power supply? Pedal arrangement?

I did talk to Carvin. They will honor my expired warranty as the model in general had known issues out of the gate. Am of course happy about that. Good customer service at that company.

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Regardless, let them give you a new one.

+1 about Carvin CS.