1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedals that can be used as a stand alone preamp into power amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcburn, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Could I have some ideas folks?
    MXR M80, Aguilar Agro, older Trace Elliot SM-7?

2. Tech 21 VT.

Although some might say you want to run an EQ pedal as well.

3. Ah sorry - I meant to say in the OP that I would like the said pedal to have some sort of graphic EQ.

4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think the Basswitch is such a box.
    A VERY nice thing it is too!!

5. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Rusty Box.

6. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    get the tone shaper that sounds good to you ie. mxr eq, bass vt, what have you and then get a art tube mp. they only coast 20 bucks or so. it's what i got and i have no complaints, love the tone

7. Why graphic? Would a para or semi-para work as well?

8. I like the modular approach these days. I use a VT Bass pedal and run whatever I want in to it, including a Boss GEB-7 if needed. If I ever want to try a different EQ, I can just switch it out. The VT Pedal drives my Crown XLS Drivecore power amp nicely, and my two GK Neo 212 cabs give me good bottom and volume. And most importantly, it all sounds great (to me at least).

9. I have the EDEN WTDI with a Fender SPL 6000 power amp. I use some stomp boxes in front of the Eden as well, and then run the DI output into the PA, and the unbalanced output into a power amp, or whatever else I have on stage.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Very, very few preamp pedals have graphic EQ. You are almost certainly going to have to settle for a three-band high/mid/low EQ.

I agree with the advice about figuring out your tone needs first, then seeing which devices with that tone happen to also be able to drive a power amp. For example the Rusty Box is freakin' awesome, but if you only want clean tones then it would be a waste to buy something designed specifically for overdrive.

Also, what's your budget? I can name examples from $30 to $500.

11. Out of those, only the Trace Elliot has a graphic EQ on it. The M-80 just has bass, mid and treble knobs, same as the Tech 21 VT, Leeds, etc. The Agro has even less control, just presence and contour (unless you're talking about the rack unit).

Not too many pedals have graphic EQs built into them other than dedicated graphic EQ pedals. The only ones I can think of are Distortion/Fuzz pedals, not preamps. If you're insisting on a graphic EQ, your choices are extremely limited.

12. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    I am also doing a similar search. I had the VT Deluxe, but didn't care for it. My active basses kept overloading the input, getting distortion at any setting. Also, the upper midrange attack was too "harsh" for me. I am hoping to find a pedal that simply gives a tubish character (more full/phat) and perhaps has some controllable overdrive.

Although I'm mixing apples and oranges here, I have been looking at the Aguilar Agro, Rusty Box, EBS Microbass, Eden WTDI and take your pick of a zillion different overdrive pedals.

So, your thread, not mine. But I am subscribed! :D

13. Good replies folks, and I guess I apologise as we go as I am realising I am missing info that could help.
    I guess my budget is around $150-$200., and I've tried the Sansamp stuff and not quite my cup of tea, although I certainly wouldn't shy away from overdrive. A graphic EQ would be great but as long as the pedal had some form of mid control again that would fit the bill.
    I realise my budget may not stretch but I think I may be asking too much from just one pedal. Dunno.
    Front runners - Rusty box, SM-7, WTDI.

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Try to find a used DHA VT1-EQ.

15. Didn't think of that - great idea.

Rusty box
    DHA VT1-EQ

I think these are winning at the moment for me as they incorporate OD as well. I have used an MXR M80 before and I like the clean tone, but dont like the "colour" that engages with the overdrive. And again the overdrive to me is a little more like outright distortion.

16. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
  17. EBS Microbass II. Superb sound and versatility.

18. Not graphic EQ, but you could probably request it: Viva Analog's 360+ would be my choice.

Order the 360+ Pro...

[​IMG]

or order the 360 kit and build it yourself.

19. babaseen

babaseen The New M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    +1

20. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    sansamp bass/para driver