1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals that (far) exceeded your expectations...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Sep 11, 2019.

1. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The title says most of it...
    This time I am interested to hear about pedals that exceeded your expectations or surprised you in positive ways and in how they did.

JaxonHaze and BrentSimons like this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Korg AX3B.

It has an above-average envelope filter, a nice basic phaser, some good subtle choruses, and plenty of very usable tone-fattening options, including the amp sims. I use it for home studio recordings.

And I got it for about $30 used, but in new condition - box, manual and all.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Way Huge Green Rhino - Spent years finding an Overdrive that I liked, with no bass lost, and responsive to dynamics.

Also VT-BAss DI - my sound improved so much that I ditch the amp and play ampless now.

alack, LessIsLess and BrentSimons like this.
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The simple Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb pedal is (to my ear) really spot on for a nice reverb sound. I play some surf and like what it does, and it also fills out the sound on slow non-surf tunes. It does just about everything except the "splat" you get from bumping a tank reverb.

I only have two effects: the FRV-1 and a modified Digitech Badder Bad Monkey for OD.

[​IMG]

5. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    I was blown away by the Fulltone OCD (at least the version I have, v1.3). I got it on a whim and tried it with bass and just immediately loved it. No blend needed. Just great overdrive without imparting its own prominent EQ on top of everything.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Eventide H9.

Broughton HPF.

7. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Damnation Audio MBD-1.

I'll be honest I thought it was just hype but the MBD-1 is excellent.
    It can do low gain, high gain, heavy, articulate, dark, bright, "grindy", "tubey".
    Easily one of the most essential tools in my tone.
    At first I'll admit I was underwhelmed with it but after spending more time with it on different basses and into different effects I've truly fallen in love with it.
    I only wish it had digital brain for preset functionality because it has so many "sweet spot" tones for a plethora of purposes.

8. BOSS BC-1x. Bought it to flip and kept it. Then when I sold it, I missed it. I have it back now. I will name it George and hug him and squeeze him...

Novarocker, oyobass, B-Lo and 4 others like this.
  9. peter nicholas

peter nicholas

Aug 1, 2019
    ma, usa
    the line 6 HX stomp is awesome. the actual full-size helix is even more awesome. huge featureset, brilliant, intuitive UI, fantastic sounds, loads of I/O options, solid construction, cool looking. i literally haven't found one thing to complain about. probably the best gear i've ever bought.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

Digitech Bass Synth Wah.
    It usually gets a bad rap so I expected little of it when I got my 1st unit years ago, but for me, its filter/autowah modes are IT.

11. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    The only indispensable pedal for me is my Opto Smoothie. It's not always on, but adore how it sounds when it is switched on.

12. Electronix Submarine MK III [Zeibek]
    Southampton Ictineo [Zeibek Designer Submarine]
    Fuzzrocious BDPG V1 [dirty version with gain stage and different tone circuit]
    Fuzzrocious BDPG V2 [added post clean stage]

These are all related to a preamp circuit originally designed by Albert Kreuzer. To my ear these magic boxes just help signals pop or sit in just the right sonic spot in recordings, useful not just for bass the magic is good for other signals as well.

Yamaha NE1
    [sfx]AY2

Nathan East's little magic box and Max's limited production @ sfx version that adds a bypass switch, conventional box and additional setting

These are all more utility boxes than effects but they do make effects sound better.

rratajski, sears and knumbskull like this.
  13. Digitech BP8 Valve is THE Grandpappy of all multi-effect units that still delivers hard fresh and strong after all these years. Essentially it was a rack quality of effects in a floor unit that still offers a great selection of effects if you are brave enough to dive into the rather arcane User Interface [UI]. Digitech certainly had access to the Lexicon and DBX algorithms for processing and it shows in the quality of the various tools and effects.
    These go really cheap so if you find one in working condition with a power supply, grab it and dig in. Mine essentially lives in the studio these days in a case with a stereo DI with a host of sounds that I have perfected over they years.

jbybj, giacomobass and mikewalker like this.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    This is looking promising!
    Thank you to all that posted thus far! :hyper::thumbsup::hyper:

15. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Oh cool, didn’t know they had different tone circuits. Is that the EQ sweep then? I have a v1 and love it.

Back on topic: Strymon El Capistan. I knew it sounded good but it just blows my mind how great it makes everything sound... i don’t even use delay on bass that much!

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The Sansamp PBDDI. I bought this to have sound options when playing direct on sessions. It made it to my pedalboard on day 1 and has never left. I use it for a light drive on occasion, but it's also my always on preamp.
    My only pedalboard without this has a Sansamp BDDIv2.

SmokinJoe992 likes this.
  17. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Source Audio c-4 I expected a bass Mono Synth Clone but got much more . So much more in Fact it kicked my Future Impact off my board.

Colarndo, turcmic, Nunovsky and 6 others like this.
  18. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    I have a lot of these stories... but most recently as of its release:

Way Huge Pork & Pickle Bass Fuzz & Distortion.

With all the hype around the Darkglass stuff (which it deserves, it's awesome gear with a solid build), I was concerned about getting this lesser-priced overdrive/fuzz that claimed to have a lot of mix-in options for dry signal etc...

Got the pedal, was not disappointed and plays well with the octave & envelope, so she's my go-to.
    -----------------

Current dilemma - justifying the 3Leaf Wonderlove Deluxe or Chromatron (I really don't know the differences between the 2 yet) over the MXR bass envelope filter I'm currently running... I gotta say, just like the P&P -- from a guy who usually reaches for the 'boutique builder' stuff... the MXR surprised me with how wet it was and how great it sounded in so many settings, and alongside other pedals, especially considering the cost.

19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Makes Sounds Loudly Jet Phaser AP-7 clone. Was so good that it killed my G.A.S. for the real thing.

Doc Lloyd Photon Ray Compressor is looking like a mainstay going forward. Great compressor that doesn't get in the way.

20. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Moog 12 Stage Phaser, because I was just looking for a good sounding phaser, I already had a Bass MuRF, and loved the idea of a Phaser with "Stun" and "Kill" settings. But the lush sound of it has made it my favorite sounding pedal I've purchased. Maybe it's the analog factor, maybe it's the Moog factor, but whatever it is, this pedal is the bomb, and is never leaving. But since I've had that 7 years now, I'll go with the Source Audio C4 as the most recent pedal that blew away my expectations. I do have to say that my expectations were quite high for SA, because I've been wanting them to make a synth pedal since I got my Multiwave Bass Distortion Pro and BEF Pro, and thought this company will beat the Deep Impact, if they just do it. Now, 8 years later, they drop the bomb on us all, and I'm so glad I listened to Nathan Navarro and waited for the C4 rather than pulling the trigger on a Future Impact. And the pricepoint of $239?!?! That's $11 less than what I paid for the 12 Stage Phaser in 2012!

rodak, Annette and DeltaPhoenix like this.