Pedals that provide 9V Power question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by C-5KO, Apr 29, 2005.

1. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Ok. Just picked up a Stobostomp Tuner. I've replaced my Boss tuner.

The Strobo just died on a gig last night. Actually the tuner didn't die, the power out supplying all my other pedals died.

Very unhappy. Exchanged it for a new one this morning. Very happy.

Here's my question:

It was either a manufacturer's defect. Or possibly... did I burn it out somehow by powering my other pedals? The pedal says "9V nom. (7-12VDC @ 85mA Max). I'm using a boss 9v adapter that says Out DC 9.6V 200mA. I'm powering a Boss OC3, EBS Multidrive, and EBS Bass IQ from the tuner.

How can I calculate how many pedals I can run from the power out of the Strobo? I know it has something to do with the total mA? doesn't it?
  2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    By adding up the mA - it shouldn't exceed 85 mA, and with 3 pedals chained up, it sounds like a possibility. So check the 3 pedals and how many mA's they use.
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    The Stobostomp and EBS Pedals are kinda expensive.
    The Boss power supply rating of 200mA is cheesy.

Why risk it?

Get a speciality power supply for all your pedals with a Beefy rating.

Something like the new supplies that put out 1.7 Amps worth of current.

That'll "Git er done."

4. I may be wrong here, but I think the 9V nom. (7-12VDC @ 85mA Max) is what it takes to power the Strobostomp. I'd think the power input and power output jacks are hardwired so the power output jack sends whatever your adaptor gives it (less the power the Strobostomp takes from it).

Example, if you used a 1 amp Godlyke power-all into the Strobostomp that took 85 mA, you'd have 915 mA to power any other pedals you want.

I doubt you burned out anything, but possibly the contacts on the output jack got tweaked enough to disrupt the current.

(the reason I'm saying this is because I use an 800 mA One-Spot in this same configuration through a Boss TU-2, supposedly rated at 200 mA, and it works like a charm with no problem)
  5. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    those are perfect. what's the model #? i tried a google search for 9v dc 1.7a, and i couldn't find that particular model. oh crap. nevermind. i see the link now in the reply. :D

is that the godlyke PA-9. that looks pretty neat. is it 1.7? or 800mA? it says it's transformerless too, so no noise?

any other suggestions? besides a power conditioner?
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    AMS Godlyke PA 9 $40 w/5-connector daisy chain cable.

No other suggestions.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Similar to that, you can get the Visual Sound 1-spot Combo Pack from Musician's Friend for $30. It comes with a daisy chain power connector cord, as well as all the optional cords for different types of pedal connections.

Forgot the mA capacity on it though.
    Edit: Just found it-up to 1700mA
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    yep i use the oneSpot also... i never think about it, but thats because its been working perfectly without a hitch ever since i got it. the fact that it also comes with the 9v battery connector (among 5 other types) came in handy for a time i ahd a pedal that would only run off battery, but i didnt ahve any batteries
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    OneSpot for me, I really enjoy everthing Visual Sound has put out. Godlyke seems to be the slightly more upscale version ;)