1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Pedals that "work" at home, but not in your band...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MojoPenguin, Dec 16, 2017.

1. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Hey guys,

Just started a new band, and as I suspected out of the couple of pedals I used, some of them were working and sounding good at home, but just did not cut it at practice (I know shocker, but I am a n00b ;)

Well to sum it up, out of my overdrives, distortions, octavers, etc, well I ended up using mostly my Toadworks Mr Squishy (sounded amazing), and my Flanger (Source audio). As for overdrive, the B7K sounded great, but not enough gain, and the omicron awesome. I have a Basstortion which sounds great, but I could not hear me when I played it, I had to crank up the volume and the octaver sounded too boomy.

For next practice, I replaced the octaver with my phaser (Helix phaser) since I have a nice sound using Flanger or Phaser lightly to "spice" up some parts.

So sorry for the long post, but I'm curious to know if you guys had pedals you loved, but stopped using after practice and/or gigs ?

armybass and lowplaces like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm a noob too so take this with a grain of salt.

But try hitting your pedals with a brighter clean signal. My tone tends bright anyway. And I am having great luck in live situations. But my friends, who run darker clean tones, don't enjoy my pedals at all.

Send the pedal something it can work with and I think you'll be happier.

Good luck. It's a journey, innit???

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Hit them bright and make sure your mids are up on your amp.

4. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I can relate. My Landphil distortion sounds amazing in the bedroom, but played at full volume through my 800rb it sounds like a broken kazoo.

spatchthepunk, zapped777 and armybass like this.
  5. any synth or octave pedal, completely useless for me. any modulation or delay pedal that doesn't have a master volume to get a volume boost when engaged.

6. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I have a hard time working ring mods, bitcrushers and synth effects into a band setting, but that’s mostly the bands i play in. At home and in more ambient settings I get tons of use out of them.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I love playing with all manner of funky crap at home, but last time I was in a band, all I ever used was compression, OD from a SABDDI, and a phaser or univibe for swirly textures. Probably would leave the extras at home if I get another gig, but hey, throw everything at the wall and see what sticks!

MojoPenguin, wmmj and FilterFunk like this.
  8. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    IMO every pedal can sound good at bedroom volumes or with bedroom settings and rarely are those settings kept the same at live band volumes.

I wonder if there are any pedals that do the opposite. Great live pedals that suck at bedroom/low volumes :)

9. oxfuzz bass
    anything rat based
    anything tubescreamer based

sillyfabe, Ti-Ron, Teijo K. and 5 others like this.
  10. There’s definitely a learning curve to figure out what types of frequencies, tones and sounds work well in a mix/live situation vs what sounds “best” by itself.

In a full band setting, you gotta play is what fits best with the group, not just use effects for the sake of using them.

As a rule of thumb,
    Get a great base line tone to start with that compliments every other sound in the band. (Compression, gain, mids balance). Then add color only where It fits. (Distortion, modulation, octave, chorus/flange, etc )

I think the most difficult part to figure out is the balance between frequency and relative volume. I.e. a specific mid boost can really pump your perceived loudness for a particular part, without affecting overall volume. Likewise a really scooped or negative high-shelfed sound may not be perceived as being very high volume on its own, but will really fill out a mix in a full band situation.
    Gotta pay attention to frequency loudness vs overall volume.

11. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Looks like I need to look at my mids. ;)

12. Wasn’t usin heaps of effects at the tone but when I played in a thrash metal band against two loud guitars and crazy drummer I pumped my mids... best thing I ever did. My new band allows me for a bit more room but if I’m careful can still get lost in the wall of sound. Low mid / mid boost is generally what I look for in pedal demos now, and all my drive pedals fit... the other stuff ( wah, chorus, etc) is only used for intro / bridge stuff or any where that I have the room to breathe in it.

Oh yeah guyatone fz2 fuzz... unblended with octave tone up full was like hitting an off switch in a metal band :) all my drive pedals I also like with a blend in them too but that’s just personal taste.

MojoPenguin likes this.
  13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    EHX Bass Muff. The original bedroom pedal.

14. Not enough gain on the B7K?
    One 'trick' for most overdrives: your mids and/or treble are key. I generally use a Stingray with a 3-band preamp and use the mids control to add or tame drive on most overdrives. Try it.

Another general thing is that what sounds good at low volume testing things at home may sound terrible at higher volume in a band situation. You need to test and adjust your pedals at the volume you intend to use them. Your Basstortion may be removing too much mids in your practice settings, and perhaps all it needs is a little extra mids. I don't know. Experiment, but... in the 'real world' scenario. You just cannot translate your bedroom levels into band rehearsal levels and expect them to work the same, unfortunately. It sucks, because I'd rather set it all up in the comfort of my own home where I have time, right? But I have to figure it all out over a number of practices and gigs, and even after a while I continue to tweak things until it sounds right.

So, don't give up on a pedal just yet until you give it a real good try at final volume in a band situation.

MojoPenguin and Driven Crane like this.
  15. Gated fuzz.

Every time I came up with a super cool synth line, it sounded like absolute mud when I tried it with the band, unless there's only bass and drums going on at that moment. I took it off my board : It *might* eventually see some use for a different project, but not with my current band.

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

^^^^^
    This. Steep learning curve for me because my ears are easily fooled by frequency volumes.

17. EHX Bass Microsynth. Lot's of fun to play around with at home, useless live.

18. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    Overdrives are generally tough for me in live situations. But I think a lot of it has to do with the acoustics of the room. From room to room my settings change, mainly my mid frequency on my amp to deal with the differences. Also some fine tuning on my on-board pre's.

19. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    Fulltone OCD, such a disappointment.

Jakeman likes this.
  20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

My experience as well and I will add that it also depends on the way you play and the gear you have. But that pedal made my bass all but disappear from the mix at the time I used it. Could be different today, maybe. Or not.

Another pedal that sounded good on its own but not so good in a band for me is the MXR Blowtorch. This one came out too fizzy for my taste (again, same disclaimer).

I'm a big fan of both companies and currently use their products. Just not those 2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021