Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by monkeywrench, Jan 22, 2005.

1. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    i have a zoom 708 effect pedal and it stopped working, this is the second one i bought already so i want to just give up on the zoom pedals

i was thinking about getting a digitech one like it but i have a question for anyone who may have played the zoom one

there is an effect called "ring" on it that sound kind of like a bell but sounds really awesome when i use the expression pedal with it. i already use it in a few of my bands songs and im wondering if anyone knows if the digitech pedals have an effect like it

thanks

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    the effect is known as a ring modulator, and nope it is NOT on the digitech pedals. in fact, you'll have a hard time finding any ring modulator pedals besides the zoom. of all effects, the ring modulator is the most chaotic, and generally isnt as popular as other effects because of its inherit dissonance sound

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well that effects is a ring mod, and i have never seen it on a bass digitech prosesor before... sorry man...

Alex

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    There's plenty of standalone ringers. If you need to have a multieffects, the only ones I know of that have ring modulation are guitar boxes like the Vortex and the Lexicon guitar megathing (too lazy to look). The standalone ones tend to be spendy, like my Frantone, the Frostwave, the Colorsound, and so on. But I think DOD has a reasonably priced pedal, and I think one of the Line6 pedals has one built in (modulation modeler? or is it the filter?).

5. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    The Line 6 Ring Mod is on the modulation modler, as for the DOD (The Gonkulator) noiseicans and colectors have drivin the price up to about $200 (anyway it sucks)... If he is opting for cheaper multieffects a $300+ ringmod may be a bit scary. Especialy as the only one that you can control with an expresion pedal is the mooger, and its $400+... Ring Mods are great, but you have to shell out major cash...

David Wilson is selling one on ebay right now, a Frostwave Blue Ringer. Check it out here.

cheers

Alex

6. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    thanks for the help guys, i think i've narrowed my search for a ring effect down to either the line 6 mm4 modulation pedal or the mooger ringer

the mooger is more expensive but looks pretty bad ass, the line 6 has other effects but i heard that when you use it with bass guitar the effects make your sound a lot quieter and i don't know if i can handle that

has anyone played both? or any of them? any info would be helpful seeing as it is pretty much impossible for me to find a mooger to try out around here, also any info on how well they work with an expression pedal would be cool

i have a zoom multi-effect pedal so i know how some effects are quiet and i'd like to be sure my effects will be heard, the ring effect on that pedal is what im most concerned with getting, but if that line 6 will hold up with the band, it's extra effects could be my deciding factor

please let me know what you can, and thanks a lot