1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Roadgod, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Roadgod

Roadgod

Sep 28, 2010
    I'm looking for a versitile pedal. I do a lot of gigs and sometimes do smaller gigs where my regular rig is just a hassle to drag around and over powers the room.

So anyone know of a pedal that can not only sharpen your sound but also go direct for a smaller gig?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Here's a few that might do what you're looking for (although, I have no idea what "sharpen" means)...
    - SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    - MXR M-80
    - Aguilar Tone Hammer

3. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Too vague!

4. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Sounds like he's looking for a DI with tone shaping abilities.

5. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Sansamp Para-Driver.

6. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Radial Bassbone...I've used a bunch of preamp/DI's, and have settled in (for now...LOL) on the Bassbone...

7. Roadgod

Roadgod

Sep 28, 2010
    Exactly!!!

Thanks for the tips!!! I had a friend today mention that Hartke has one out and it's supposed to be pretty good. Anyone try it?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You don't seem to be looking for distortion, so a good DI with tone shaping.
    The Markbass SuperBoost is where it's at. You won't find better for this kind of application.

9. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah I've tried the Hartke VXL Bass Attack pre/di and it was good, but I far prefer the MXR M-80.

10. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    All of the pedals mentioned above, SansAmp, MXR, BassBone, Hartke are all good pedals. I would choose which one sounds best to you and also, which one fits your budget.
    You cant go "wrong" with any one of em, unless you hate the tone.
    I use a SansAmp BDDI.

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

Great advice.
    +1 on the SansAmp.

12. I'm a SansAmp junkie too, have 3 of them (BDDI, BDDI Programmable, VT Deluxe) and would like to get more, but there are lots of other options out there if they aren't your cup of tea.

One that hasn't been mentioned that looks awesome is the Radial Bassbone.

13. Roadgod

Roadgod

Sep 28, 2010
    Thanks everyone!!!

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I've tried it. the hartke vxl bass attack preamp pedal sounds awesome. not only does it provide tube-emulated sounds and doubles as a direct box, it also has an eq boost. I personally would recommend this preamp pedal.

15. BETTER than the Bassbone (IMO) is Radial's PZed-Pre. It works with regular instrument levels, too. Just turn off the piezo buffers if you're not using a piezo pup.

Aphex Bass Xciter will "enhance" your sound and has a built-in DI.

I've got both aforementioned pedals but have only ever used the Radial's DI.

16. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    If you're looking for even more versatility, I'm sure it's not much of a stretch but you could always get a preamp or EQ pedal (same thing really) and run it to a DI box as needed. ;)

If I were looking for something like that, I'd be all over the Empress Para EQ.

Otherwise, all of the previously mentioned preamp pedals with built-in EQ's will work absolutely great. :D

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021