Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PedalSnake?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I just saw their ad in the new Guitar Player mag (cool article on Umphrey's McGee & Digitech is coming out with "ultimate" Hendrix pedal soon).
    Has anybody tried these? It's supposed to clean up patch cables and such...
    www.pedalsnake.com

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    seems like more or less and organizational kindof thing. pretty neat, i'd definitely get one myself once i have extra money laying around.
    ...would it be fine to be running power lines that long?

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I know this is a year old but anyone have any thoughts on this now?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I plan on getting one as soon as my pedalboard is complete. Either that or I was going to use some sort of DB25 printer cable, and hardwire both ends. I'm not sure about shielding, but I think it may work...

If not, pedalsnake for sure. Just depends when I get around to completing my pedalboard.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would love to use this, but I require two AC jacks on my pedal board for my Morleys. :meh:

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    What I find the most interesting about this is that I would finally be able to use my effects as I've wanted to... some in front of the amp, and some in the effects loop. Very cool. Plus, if you go wireless, it's just as easy to have your wireless receiver by your amp as anywhere else.

Too bad I already have a pretty acceptable system, including a hardwired power source...

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I would also be concerned about running such thin, wimpy looking cables for signal. Even my patch cords on the board look more substantial.

Granted, mass does not equal quality necessarily, but I do know that the more protected a cable is, IME, the longer it lasts. I dunno...

I think I may just stick with velcro ties to keep my cables together, and I don't particularly mind having a power line up front. After all, if a cable fails, it's fairly cheap to replace it (especially if it's Monster, Mogami, Planet Waves, or even Livewire - anything with a lifetime warranty). If even one "channel" in this thing fails... well, you better hope you don't need all the channels... and if you do, then it'll cost probably over a hundred bucks to replace it.

I'm also a little turned off that all it really does is replace a couple of cables. Sort of a high price tag for something you could build yourself, you know?

EDIT: And the other thing I don't like? I just bought all new patch cables to get color OFF of my pedalboard and keep everything as black as possible. This thing's fan is multicolored. No thanks. Although after looking at the MIDI cable option (4+ channels of midi with adapters to use each channel as power, stereo audio, mono audio, etc, etc, etc), it does seem rather nifty.

Make it in black and find a way to incorporate an electrical outlet, and I'm sold. Maybe. ;)

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You can run more than one power source with this thing. That's why it's so cool, very interchangeable.

9. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I bought one last year,used it twice,and put it away! They are way too expensive for what you get.I ended up making my own custom snakes using really good cable,and bundled them together using expando tubing and shrink wrap! Expando tubing is a nylon braided tubing that you slide over your cables.It works better than split loom,and looks great!!

I have made several of these snakes.You can used power cables,instrument cables,midi cables,and mic cables in the same snake,and since each cable is shielded,you don't get any noise!

John

10. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I'm fairly certain that you can't run AC power through this. Just low voltage DC power.

I'm also assuming that he's talking about the vintage Morleys with hardwired AC cables.