1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PedalTrain Custom Cases?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Proton Lenny, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    So here's the deal:

I really want to get my MP-201 off the floor. To do this I need a bigger board. I love my PedalTrain 2 and I'd just upgrade to the Pro, but its stock hard shell case is way too big and heavy. I don't want to use the bag either though, I want more protection. So I'm looking to get a case made for a PT-Pro that is the exact size of the board (none of that extra storage room the stock case has). Hopefully that would lighten it up a bit. I also want it to have a removable lid so I can just set it down, take the lid off and be ready to play. The board would stay in the lid during play (obviously I could take it out if I want). So anybody got any ideas who could build a nice road case like this. I've attached a picture of a guys board from Harmony Central that did this. I asked him about his and he says they are not quite right, but Rock Hard cases did his.

3670547794_6413043b42.jpg
    3361824554_1f7330decc_m.jpg

I'm open to a board besides pedaltrains as well, but I really like how neat I can get my set up with them. I also have 4 power adapters and a VooDoo Lab PP2+. So I need lots of room under a tier or under a board to put that stuff. I was thinking about an NYC, but not sure if I can mount all that power under the tiers. I was looking at those Lyt boards as well, but they look a little flimsy.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Proton

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i too know your pain. my pedals have reached beyond my pt-2 as well. i'd love to do the pro, BUT, it weighs 40 lbs. empty!!!!! that means that no matter how many pedals you put on there, it'll be overweight to a flyout gig, which means an upcharge at the airport. no no nono

the NYC i believe says on the site "not flight/checked baggage ready", meaning to me "not giggable". i'm sorry but if you can't check it, it's not road worthy either.

i too have not found another option other than pedaltrain. let's face it, their double unit (case and separate board) design is more protecting of your gear, making a solid tight fit so your pedals don't get bashed. i don't know of anything else like that, and more lightweight.

i think we're stuck man. PT-HEAVY-OVERWEIGHT-PRO it is.

3. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I wish they would just make it so the damn thing fit snug like the PT-2. No extra room. That's is why I'm looking at getting a case made by someone else to fit it perfectly.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    trailertrash pedalboards seems to be the exact same concept (cooler look) and sizes. might try them. the cases are a lot lighter. their pt-pro size case weighs half the weight, so this would work :)

http://www.trailertrashpedalboards.com/

5. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Yeah, TrailerTrash makes some good stuff but they are really pricey. Plus I prefer the slatted style of pedaltrains. Trailer trash doesn't have a stock board the same size as the Pro (32x16). I wonder if Trailer Trash could make a custom case for me....

6. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Nevermind, just called them. Don't do custom cases. Plus the guy was kind of a jerk.

7. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Not slotted, and not quite as large as the PT Pro. But if you leave the board in the case you can fit your voodoo under neath, plus cables, etc. plus you get a 3 guitar stand built into the lid. Definitely not quite as usable as the PT Pro in regards to clean looks. And certainly not as well made overall. But I find it's *much* easier to lug, etc. as it doesn't weigh 50lbs plus. The PT Pro hard case was simply too huge and heavy. It was seriously ridiculous. Just sharing info.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...545858&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26046643

Just sharing some options.

8. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Thanks for the input, but that board is not my style. I'm really anal when it comes to cables.

9. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    :eyebrow:

10. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    As in I don't like to see them if possible.

11. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Can you try to contact the guy hows pedalboards those are? see who he/she went through.

12. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Yeah, I did. He went through Rock Hard cases. I put a call into them today and left a message. I know he spent about $300 on the case alone. Which I'm okay with, but I'm a little afraid of giving them the wrong dimensions and having the board slide around to much, or have the lip to big. Since I don't have a Pro yet, I can't really measure it myself. I figure I'd just add about half an inch to each side, then have an inch of high impact foam all around. It is the depth that I'm not sure about.

13. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
  14. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    please pass on how much it weighs.

i love my pt-pro... but DAMN that's a heavy case.

sturdiest thing i've seen for a pedalboard.... but way heavy.

-0behn desu0-

15. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I will pass on the info. I'm almost more curious if I can leave the board in the lid like a tray than about the weight. I would love to have it all set up and just take the top off to play at a show. I wish pedaltrain would design there cases that way.

16. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    huh. i don't really mind pulling the pedalboard out, but having to is the thing my singer thought was a stupid part of the Pedaltrain design.

really, it's the weight that kills me. i kinda dig the extra cable space, but i shattered my touchscreen phone because i forgot it was in my pocket and i caught it with a corner of my PT Pro case. the wheels help a lot...... until stairs. damn you stairs. damn you.

-0behn desu0-

17. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i have one each of the different sizes of the Lytpedalboards. i went to a PT-Pro that was the same dimensions and the larger Lytboard because it's impossible to do clean cabling on the Lytboards. they are flat to the ground with a angled raised area that is bisected by a supportive piece of wood parallel to the board that is really too small for any power supply other than a One Spot.

i love how light they are, and i use the smaller one for a simple noise board, but since you can't hide anything underneath i think this isn't something the OP would be into.

lol... if he IS i got a deal on one.

-0behn desu0-

18. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm just going to chime in here and say I've had a GREAT experiences with PSG and Pedaltrain every time I've dealt with them. No custom work, though I'm interested in the custom powdercoating. Never hurts to ask, especially given the flight rules.

19. Proton Lenny

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    So the guys from Safecase just got back to me about that PT Pro Case. He said at 1/4" ply it weighs roughly 30 pounds. So not much better than the normal case. I'm seeing if he could make it with something a little thinner and still have it be ATA.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020