1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PedalTrain JR + SupaCharger = not a perfect fit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikeddd, May 6, 2010.

1. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I knew that the PT family (except Mini) was "compatible" with the BBE SupaCharger powersupply, that's one of the reasons I went w/the BBE over a Voodoo. Apparently, "compatible" in this case means "sort of fits."

The mounting brackets screw onto the SC fine; perfect fit, in fact (this is the most important thing, I know). But, the SC doesn't fit flush against the inside lip of the PT. The IEC socket is mounted on the outside of the SC. It's plastic lip is bigger than the hole in the PT that it's supposed to fit thru. So, it sits about 1/8" away from the hole as opposed to flush. Not a biggie. The biggie is the fuse holder on the SC. It's placement on the SC's casing puts it about 1/4" past the edge of the second hole in the PT. If I want the outlet to line up with the hole (of course!) then the fuse holder won't go into it's corresponding hole in the PT.

Bottom line: If using a BBE SupaCharger on a PedalTrain JR, it will have to sit about 1/4" away from the top edge of the PT and you'll have to bend the mounting brackets accordingly.

This isn't a huge deal but it's worth noting, IMO. Anyone else run into this? Hope this post makes sense! :meh:

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    pics?

3. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I can take a few but it's going to be hard to see what I'm actually talking about...I was hoping I described it well enough. :oops: Pics being uploaded now.

4. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Here's how the outlet looks. Note it's mounted outside the chassis and sticks out. The mounting ears don't fit thru the hole on the PT.
    outlet.JPG

Here's a shot of the fuse holder. Note it also sticks out.
    outlet and fuse.JPG

5. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    If you push the SupaCharger forward as far as it'll go, while trying to center the outlet, the fuse holder hits the lip on the edge of it's hole and the SC is crooked (it sits sort of diagonaly...no pic of that).
    fuse no fit.JPG

The only solution is to center the outlet on it's hole and you wind up with this space b/t the bracket's mounting point and the PT.
    space2.JPG

Pics aren't the best...hope it helps explain a little better. Anyone else run into this issue? Again, it's not a show-stopper by ANY means. I just like everything perfect. ;)

6. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Ah. That's mildly inconvenient

7. I think you either got a funny PT-JR or a funny BBE Supa Charger, either way it sucks :(. I had a PT-JR not too long ago and my BBE Supa Charger was a dead perfect fit and when I upgraded to a PT-2 it still fit like a puzzle piece. And from all accounts I've heard of BBE Supa Chargers and PTs all of sizes go together like peanut butter and jelly.

8. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Figures...that's my luck. I do have a Dremel...I may cut out a bit of both holes...I want it to fit right.

9. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Pedaltrains and Dremels, go together like brownies and hot sauce (scared at first, but great results!)

10. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    LMAO! :D Brownies and hot sauce...wow, now THOSE are two things that I just can't see going well together.

I may take the lazy way out. Right now the SC is as far forward in the mounting brackets as it'll go (to get it as close to the holes as possible). I may slide it BACK in the brackets. It will mean getting the power cord in is a PITA but at least the brackets will fit flush. Yeah, I'll probably do that.

I don't have a garage/basement, so messy Dremeling is done on the patio, which means an extension cord into the house and the wife [DEL]yammering[/DEL] discussing with me yet again, my hobbies. :eyebrow:

*edit*
    Moved the brackets on the SC. Brackets now fit flush against the PT and plugging in the power cord isn't too bad. Hooray! I may still Dremel a bit on the fuse side; then I'll be able to reach the voltage selector too.

11. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    If its hot fudge sauce, then its perfect!

12. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry to hijack the thread but...

Would a Voodoo power 2 fit fine on a pedaltrain mini or would it need some mods?

13. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Hijack away! It's cool; sharing info is what it's all about. :)

AFAIK, you can't fit any PS under the Mini without modding it. Search for "pedaltrain" and there's a thread specifically about a modded mini. There was cutting (Dremel action)involved IIRC.

14. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Yup, the popular "Bart mod"
    IMG_2124.
    This is a picture of one performed by Brim on here (yes, I know this one is an ISO-5, but they're the same height and depth as the PP2+ so it's k).
    I was inspired, so I did my own. I moved mine forward a bit so the backs are flush, which means the front corner of the PP2+ ALMOST touches the ground. Be wary of nice hardwood floors.
    And yes, I got pretty Dremel-happy, but I'm happy :)

15. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I did a search on the BBE Supa-Charger and Pedaltrain Jr. and it brought me here...

Any others with these kind of experiences? The reason I ask is because I'm considering getting the BBE SC for my PT JR. I currently have the Voodoo Lab PP2+ mounted underneath. Holes are already drilled, so my first concern was if the AC outs on the powersupplies match. Then I read this thread and got more concerned...

Was the OP's experience a dud or is the BBE just not as compatible as the VL?

16. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    Im not sure how big is the supacharger, but I just bought a cioks powersupply and it didnt fit with the metal brackets as well.

So what did I do? My brother has a strat which back cover was taken out for easier string changing. I found out that the cover(rectangular) fits the back of the pedaltrain jr PERFECTLY(amazing). I taped the cover to the back of the ptjr with double sided tape.

Then I pasted some velcro on the powersupply and back plate. It holds pretty damn firm.

So...if you have any guitarist friends who have no use for their guitar backplates then you know what to do...

17. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008

Well, the metal brackets are designed to fit with the Voodoo Lab PP2+, it even says so in the instructions that come with the board. But I've seen people mount the BBE underneath their Pedaltrain 2's and Pro's, but never the Junior's...