1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedaltrain PT Mini in the Wild Pics

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Sep 12, 2008.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Just got my Pedaltrain PT Mini, looks like it's going to be the perfect pedalboard for my needs.

Some of the community have been wondering about mounting a dedicated power supply to the bottom. I don't think so without major modding and metal cutting.

Here are the pics of the board with my pedals placed on the board. The empty space at the end is for a Loop-Master Mini Looper. Final order of pedals is TBD.

IMGP6714.

IMGP6720.

Here's a picture from the side with a CD case next to the board to give you some perspective.

IMGP6716.

You can see there is not much space. The real challenge is the bracing under the board....see what I mean!?

IMGP6719.

IMGP6717.

There is a beam that supports the board that will get in the way. I suspect cutting the beam will compromise the rigidity of the board.

The Mini is well made like all Pedaltrain products. It includes generous amounts of velcro and twist ties. The case is very nice and includes a shoulder strap. I like this pedal board!

Question:

Since it looks like I'm going to be using a wall wart to power the board, are there differences between different brands like Boss, OneSpot and Godlyke? I have a Boss PSA120 and will start with it. But I'm wondering if some are better ground, and more stable than others?

I'll post additional pics when the board is completed. May be a couple of weeks, my Mini Looper is still in the que to be built.

2. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would really like one of these but Ive gotta have a wah. There is no way around it.

3. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    whats the space between the bars at the bottom? thanks!

4. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    About 2 inches....very compact.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Actually, it looks like a Dunlop DC Brick can fit easily. But even though the space is there, there's almost nothing for it to hold onto... so realistically, it probably won't work.

Ground and stability aren't factors with those. Rather, you have these factors to consider instead:

1) The Boss PSA-120 (original, not the new compact version) is transformer-based. The other two are digital switch-mode power supplies. TBH, this is something that probably won't matter at all in your case. There are some extremely rare cases where a standard transformer might be preferred, but for the most part, I wouldn't even worry about this at all.

2) The truly important difference: available current. The maximum current provided by the Boss is 300mA. In your case, it's plenty to power all of your pedals. But if you ever pick up some power-hungry pedals (digital pedals, for example), there's always the possibility that you may push your power limits. The other two are 1700mA each. For a board as small as yours, there's no way you'd ever exceed that, so they're safe bets if you ever do opt for hungry digital pedals. ;)

3) Price. The Godlyke is unreasonably expensive, even though it does the same thing a One Spot does. For the price, the One Spot wins, period. Even though the Boss is cheaper, the One Spot is simply better for the price.

4) The daisy chains. The Boss daisy chain IMO sucks. On a small, straight-line board like yours, it probably doesn't matter. But those of us with bigger boards have learned to hate the Boss daisy chain because of its straight plugs and short cable length. The One Spot daisy chain, meanwhile, is much longer and uses right-angle plugs.

I'd suggest the One-Spot, but if you already have a Boss PSA-120 and a Boss daisy chain, then no worries. If you don't have a daisy chain cable yet, then definitely buy the One Spot daisy chain and use that with your Boss supply. Should you ever need more power, you can always buy the One Spot adapter separately, without a daisy chain.

6. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    MysticBoo:

Thanks for the very complete response, I truely appreciate the info and "pro/con" analysis.

This is just what I was loking for. FYI, I have the older version of the Boss PSA and a OneSpot daisy chain. So I guess I'll roll with it.

Thanks Again!! :hyper:

7. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    they need to make a hardcase for it so i can stuff my reddi inside...

(would be useful for a wah as well if you're into that sort of thing)

8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Does that top lip get in the way on top mounted jacks?

Seems like it would be problematic on the first and last pedal if your cables from the bass and to the amp have straight plugs.

9. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL

I can't tell you, I don't have any top mounted jacks on my pedals. The front panel lip does rise up about an inch over the bottom of the pedal board.

I hope this helps.

10. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    That would get in the way of a Peterson tuner.

Thanks!

11. mixerman

mixerman

Sep 19, 2006
    WoodRidge, NJ
    Hey LuvMusic, have you tried using the shoulder strap with your PT-Mini? I just got mine today, but I haven't got a chance to put my effects on it yet. I tried carrying it around empty and noticed that from where the strap is hooked up, the bag has a tendency to tilt outwards, meaning effects pedal would face down, rather than sideways. Feels pretty umcomfortable. I think I'm gonna write an email to the people at PedalTrain and see what they have to say about it.

12. Does anybody know if the bigger EHX XO sized pedals will fit on here? I'm thinking Q-tron + and BMS

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep. They're the same depth (4.7" or so) as the smaller XO series pedals (like the Big Muff). But where those XO pedals are 3.7" wide, the bigger XO pedals like the new BMS are 6" wide.

14. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That would be perfect for me if I didn't have to use a power strip.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    For the person who only needed a few things that looks pretty nice.

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    No, I haven't used the shoulder strap yet. May not, I tend to use handles. I'll let you know what my experience is though if I use it!

17. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    Just finished the first phase of my PT Mini build. My first pedal board build and I'm pretty excited about the way it is turning out! :hyper:

Here are some pics:

IMGP6722.

IMGP6724.

IMGP6725.

IMGP6727.

IMGP6733.

Phase II is adding a Loop-Master Mini Looper so I can bypass the effects chain when wanted. The looper will go next to the VT Bass pedal. Should be about another two weeks.

I requested the send/receive jacks to be placed on the left of the box and input/output jacks places on the right for ease of use and cleaner cabling.