1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedaltrain tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattbass6945, Dec 5, 2018.

1. This thing is interesting. Wonder how it will handle bass? Screenshot_20181205-074412_Instagram.

ga_edwards and gregmon79 like this.
  2. Looks itty bitty.

hintz likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well thats kinda cool. Talk about a space saver.

hintz, Veldar and mattbass6945 like this.
  4. Yeah, I wouldn't mind throwing this on a nano +

Burwabit, cataract and gregmon79 like this.
  5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I like that a lot. It could fit on even the tightest of pedal boards.

We've come a long way since the ubiquitous Korg rack tuners.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Veldar and mattbass6945 like this.
  6. Would be cool if you could have a cut out on one edge of the board and have it displayed there. It could be really streamlined. Of course, that would raise costs though. This is cool though. Hopefully it tracks low notes well

7. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Reliability of the connections is my concern, as there is no ability to replace a broken cable.

If you are going with a small system like this, make it a battery operated one without the power pigtail.

Put a 1/8" TRS jack where the cables are now, and use an "insert" style Y jack that lets the user have flexibility over connections. Tip input, Ring output, Sleeve ground. This would reduce bulk for those setups with dedicated tuner outs, and let the user pick a 90 deg oor straight cable input.

I would like to see how bright it is, how accurate it is, and have adjustment for temperments or drop tuning. And, yes, handle lows.

SunnBass, ELynx and mattbass6945 like this.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’m guessing it’s going to handle a low B about the same as most clip-on tuners, which isn’t great.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I don't see how that's an accurate statement as this looks like your bass is actually running into it. The tuner is not going off vibration, its going off a direct signal into it. So it seems...

And really, for guys with little boards I could see this being a great thing. Just find a nice way to mount it and it your golden. Would I use one? Maybe. If they aren't that expensive I may try one.

Frank77 and hintz like this.
  10. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    If it tracks a low B properly I'd zip tie it off the edge of my board. This looks good I'll be watching.

11. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Snark super tights work well on my 5’ers, if you haven’t tried one.

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I love the idea and form factor but I use my tuner as a mute.

13. If I remember correctly, they commented it would be $59.99. I'm guessing that's street price.

gregmon79 likes this.
  14. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Oddly enough, I want mine always on. I had a gig where dropping to D live was part of the song, so I needed to be able to monitor it. Now I want it on all the time and need to buy a mute switch...

gregmon79 likes this.
  15. rohi

rohi Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’d miss my mute button. Probably the most used function of my board.

instrumentalist and SLO Surfer like this.
  16. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    I usually hate naysayers who rag on new products but this looks stupid to me. Those tiny, dangly bits are sure to fail.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm semi-interested.

18. Robertron likes this.
  19. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    The dongle has a power input, 1/4” in, 1/4” out, and is always on. The dongle picture’s scale is misleading.

I agree with all the “needs a mute” comments. The space savings make sense for small boards but then you gotta get creative on how to tune without the audience hearing it, changing amp levels (seems unreliable if you already sound checked and want to keep your amp volume “locked in”), or noisily unplugging your board’s output (could do the “unplug halfway” trick, but that seems like a pain). Seems like more hassle than it’s worth just to replace a mini-sized tuner pedal.

20. ...now I see that it is designed to work with the tuner out of the volume pedal...