1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedaltrain vs. SKB?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Valerus, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I am wanting to buy a Pedaltrain PT-2 with the hardshell case.
    It's $190 + shipping

But I found an SKB PS-45
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-PS45-Professional-Pedalboard?sku=544735
    Slightly used for $180

I'll probably just trade my Line 6 DL-4 for it.

Anyway,
    For those who have/have had the SKB PS-45...
    Is the PS-45 case sturdy enough? From the pictures, it doesn't, so I am not sure.

Flightcase vs...polyethylene construction or whatever

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    anyone?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've owned both. I currently have the Pedaltrain 2 with hardshell (the new version with the holes for a Pedal Power). I was not a fan of the SKB and returned it after a couple days. The material used to make it was very good though- not flight quality, but on par with an SKB rack case, which is certainly gig-tough. The lid being able to simply detach was also a very cool feature. That being said, the SKB has a few major drawbacks.

1. It comes with it's own power supply, which is really pretty heavy when compared to anything you'd normally use. It's also a fairly limited supply feature-wise, and definitely inferior compared to supplies like a Pedal Power 2 Plus and the like. If you're running all Boss pedals then I'm sure it's fine, but if you want a power supply than can power 24v Electro-Harmonics stuff, or do voltage sags, or 12v, etc., you're going to have to use another power supply with it, which is pretty redundant.

2. There isn't any place to route your cables. Not a big deal for everyone, but I feel one of the main reasons to get a nice pedalboard is to keep your pedals as cleanly as possible, which is a lot harder to do without a place to route them like the Pedaltrain has.

3. It's not angled. This isn't a big deal for a lot of guys, but I really prefer a little angle for my boards.

They also weigh almost the same despite the fact that the Pedaltrain has an ATA hardcase (this is mostly due to that big honkin' power supply section on the SKB). You can also always order a secondary gigbag for the Pedaltrain, which only weighs about 3lbs. Can't do that with the SKB.

Also, you can get the Pedaltrain 2 w/HC off of eBay for $189.99 with free shipping. I got mine through TheMusicZoo, and they were absolutely wonderful to deal with- by no means a faceless powerseller.

I really don't see any benefit to the SKB.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    You know what?

Screw it. I'm getting a Pedaltrain.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds good :D You'll have to get your own power supply of course, but you can now mount the PPs underneath them, or you can just use some zip ties and attach a normal powerstrip down there and run it out of one of the pre-drilled holes and pop a 1-spot on it.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I already have a 1spot with two 5-pedal adapters :D

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OK, seems a choice has been made. I use the SKB PS-45, and it works for me. It is heavy, but most of my pedals are 9VDC, and the 3 that aren't get plugged into the 3 AC outlets provided. True, my wires are all held down with strips of velcro, but they do stay put. As to the case itself, seems bullet proof enough for me. Important thing is that you're happy with your board, I thought I'd just mention that this particular board is not a bad choice.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I ended up buying a used old Pedaltrain PT-2 model with the hardshell case for $100.

:D

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm pretty sure that jetpack was using an SKB board at some point.

10. Moot point now, since you already got yours, but I use a SKB. I got a hell of a deal on it at GC a while back (returned w/ no box). I don't have that many boss type pedals, and all of my 120vac plugs are in use for my pedals & transmitter that aren't 9v powered. I got little velcro strips that keep my cables put. Overall, I am happy with it. I wish it had more power options, I wish it was angled slightly, but I gig with it almost every weekend, and that thing is tough is nails (it even got dropped once. The case took the brunt of it. Nothing damaged inside, and you can't even tell by looking at it that it fell). I really like that I can pop the lid off, plug it in, and go. Set up time is nil. FWIW.

Matt

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Any good pedalboard should actually be set up this way if at all possible. I've owned an SKB, a PedalPad, and two Pedaltrains, and all of them were set up to be ready to go after plugging in the input and output, with the exception of needing to plug in a MIDI cable.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm going to be going back to Pedaltrain.

13. That was kind of my point... It does what a pedalboard is designed to do. I was sensing some negativity directed toward the SKB in previous posts, and was just making the point (although poorly :meh:) That it is a decent board, especially if you can snag one that is deeply discounted like I did. For most people, it would work fine, is functional, and will definitely protect your gear.

Matt

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The SKB is certainly sturdy enough. Its failing point is the large, heavy, limited power supply and built-in patchbay, but for some that power supply may be enough, and some might even like the patchbay :D

15. I LOVE my pedaltrain. The case is tough enough for me to stand on, and I weigh 242lbs. Not to mention the awesome pedal board.