Pedro Aznar. Most underrated bass player ever (or one of the most)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vertigo, May 9, 2020.

1. vertigo

vertigo

Sep 27, 2008
    Spain
    This is quite an ancient topic among latin american musicians, such a talented player, almost (almost?) a bass god who almost didn't get any credit as such. Yes he had -still has - a successful career (played with Pat Metheny for almost 8 years), but still I fell like he deserves a lotmore attention from the bass comunity. Anyways I'm sure some of you guys have heard about him before.

Guy has been a bass prodigy since he was a teenager in the late 70's, but somehow he became such a great musician in all aspects (he is a magnificent singer, guitar player, piano player and songwriter) that most of use here in the southern end of the americas barely remember he is one of the greatest ever.

But for what we care about, the man is a mega virtuoso and one of the finest rock/jazz/pop musicians in latin america.

I'm bringing this now cause Pedro has been busy lately on his fb fan page, playing lockdown live sessions for the last weeks.

With Seru Giran 1978, bloke was just 18 years old here! Video is dubbed, so this doesn't count as live performance. But still awesome footage and his bass line is pure gold.

One of his greatests hits as a songwriter. Bass solo at 3:35 is jaw-dropping.

Screwdriver & delay bass solo + singing + south american folk. Tony Levinesque style, this is too good.

Live fretless solo with Seru Giran, insane Jaco level.

Audio only. Live in 1980, short great song with so much bass.

Audio only, iconic Argentinan Prog Rock song. 70's fretless style, some parts are just obscene.

From his live sessions. So tasty.

Hope you enjoy it!

andruca, Joshua and jerry like this.
  2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Awesome stuff! He also was with Pat Metheny for a bit, not as a bassist but utility player/singer.

Joshua and vertigo like this.
  3. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Absolutely top drawer. I got to see him a couple of times with Pat and he was outstanding each time. I enjoyed those vids a lot...

Sinserif and vertigo like this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thanks for putting him on my radar.

vertigo likes this.
  5. vertigo

vertigo

Sep 27, 2008
    Spain
    Did I mention he also is a great piano player? Check this Elton John's cover, jeez... how good is this guy?

Joshua likes this.
  6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    ENORME PEDRO!

Fellow Argie here (madrileño for the last 17 years). I love him as a bass player, of course, but what really touches me about him is his extreme musicality and devotion to no nonsense music composition. He's made such a huge amount of great songs, with or without his bass shining.

7. starjag

starjag Supporting Member

Un gigante indeed!

andruca likes this.
  8. Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2017
    New York City

Man, thank you for posting this. I've been diggin' Aznar's playing for a few years now. Great musician. Here's a clip of him playing the Peruvian classic Maria Landó. He takes a killer solo at around 2:19.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022