Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I got interested in trying one of these out and yesterday I headed down to the local Guitar Center with my jazz bass in hand. The salesman sets me up and plugs into a SVT Pro (VI?) and Ampeg 4x10 cabinet.

Let me confess from the beginning that I am only interested in the amp/cabinet modeling. I don't use effects. Let me also confess something that will become abundantly clear as I go on and that is that I am an absolute zero when it comes to anything remotely technical. I really don't know how anything works - phones, computers, amps, etc.

Anyhoo I had a ball trying out the different amp/cab models. I spent the most time with the Acoustic 360 which sounded very much like I remember it. I was a little disappointed that they didn't figure out a way that the controls could be exactly what they were on the amp being mimic'd but I sure they had their reasons. I was truly surprised at how much I liked the Dual Showman. I had one of these back in the day and though I recall it having a nice tone I don't recall it have THAT nice a tone. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bassman Tweed and the Vox 100 was kind of fun too. I was not too impressed w/the Fliptop. That was surprising given their current state of mystique but perhaps not so much so because I had one back in the day and don't recall ever thinking it was such a good amp. Maybe its the kind of amp that just sounds better in a group rather than solo'd.

Anyway, I know that there are more than a couple of users and I have some questions.

1. Has anybody (other than Line 6) bothered to compare these models with the real thing? We (the salesman and I) did plug an SVT into the same 4x10 cab and compared them. To my ears, the model w/ supposedly the same settings on the SVT sounded deeper.

2. Does anybody know how Line 6 tested these models and/or if the results of these test are available?

3. I'm seriously considering buying one of these but as I stated above I'm a zero when it comes to technical things. And as I said, I'd only be interested in the amp/cab stuff. Is there a good (less expensive) alternative?

4. Another thing that has me concerned about it is the ease of switching between amps/cab settings. I can't imagine using more than 3-4 different pairings. I've seen a lot of discussion here about saving settings, etc. downloading tones, etc. and that all sounds way beyond me. Can you just reach over and switch from amp/cab ____ to amp/cab ____ and adjust tone, bass, etc. to your liking?

Any help or comments is appreciated.

2. Matt in Jerzey

Matt in Jerzey

Feb 3, 2007
    I use a Bpod XT bean with a QSC RMX 1450 power amp and Ampeg 410HLF cab and it sounds killer. You can definately pull SVT like tone out of it. I bought a rack shelf and screwed it into the shelf, so now the bean is essentially a 2U rackmount preamp that slides out. Pretty cool. I can't swing the cash for the XT pro. Anyway, it sounds great, but I would definately suggest running it with a power amp opposed to a head. If you are using it with a head, run it into the effects loop return for the best sound. Good luck.

3. bass v amp pro

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I use a Bpod XT bean

What is ‘bean’?

[[If you are using it with a head, run it into the effects loop return for the best sound.

Yes I will probably run it thru my GK 700RB.

[[bass v amp pro

Huh?

5. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    I have a 1999 SVT Classic AV head w/ KT88s. I use the Classic 810 cab.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live, using the SVT setting, called "Classic Rock." I edit the settings according to the room. I bypass the preamp on the Classic (which is way too dirty and toneless IMHO) and go straight into the power tubes. You can cop ANY Ampeg sound recorded or live you've ever heard with the Line 6. Line 6 makes GREAT stuff, but you need to be patient and tweak things. You can also get the tone you want at any volume this way.

Massive rich bass tone to die for.

I would suggest running it into a power amp then into your cab(s).

The "Huge 360" patch sounds just like an Acoustic 360. If you want the Acoustic 360 sound: POD to power amp to SWR Big Ben. Very nice indeed.

6. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    P.S.: You don't want to use it with a bass amp. Use it as a dedicated preamp into a power amp.

7. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    read the manual..

I know I know it goes against everything a male thinks..

But the lo mid and high mid controls act differently on every amp, some arent even mid controls like the eden for instance on of them is the enhancer control

8. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    P.P.S.: You REALLY need to play with it and tweak it, esp. for the room you are playing in.

9. Matt in Jerzey

Matt in Jerzey

Feb 3, 2007
    Yeah, the amp model tone knobs can be confusing. I mean, who's going to remember all the functions of each dial for each amp. I went to the copy shop and have the amp model descriptions blown up into a small poster I hung on the wall for quick reference. I also suggest turning off cabinet modeling if your tone seems a bit too muddy. The cab models add extra equalization that throws off the natural voice of your cabinet. Also don't forget the DI blend. It's incredibly useful and often overlooked.

10. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    yeah I dont use the cab models either.. but I do use the two modeled output trick since I run 2 seperate cabs.

Two do that just grab a 1/4 adapter and stick it in the phones jack then both outputs become modeled versus modeled and DI.

Also the way I do it, is I run the phones output since its a modeled output as well to my tuner :) works like a charm. You essentially have 3 modeled outputs if ya think about it.

Heres a video I did using the Eden Amp Sim, No Cabinet sim, with a touch of chorus and reverb. Bass is a OLP MM3 5 string

11. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW

1. Has anybody (other than Line 6) bothered to compare these models with the real thing? We (the salesman and I) did plug an SVT into the same 4x10 cab and compared them. To my ears, the model w/ supposedly the same settings on the SVT sounded deeper.

Any player comparison's to the real deal I've heard have been as my only comparison having the Polytone Mini Brute (L6 Jazz model) was: close enough.

2. Does anybody know how Line 6 tested these models and/or if the results of these test are available?

No clue and you're not likely to find out but I speculate these guys did their homework. The manual has tidbit's throughout the model descriptions which indicates as much cause they are quite useful in application.

3. I'm seriously considering buying one of these but as I stated above I'm a zero when it comes to technical things. And as I said, I'd only be interested in the amp/cab stuff. Is there a good (less expensive) alternative?

If you can post on the internet you can use a pod. Quality for dollar as a package, not that I'm aware of. Berhinger makes a v amp cop that is about a $100 that apparently is lower quality as well as cheaper. They make a pro unit that is their rackmount, more expensive and apparently better quality. Haven't had one so I don't know.

4. Another thing that has me concerned about it is the ease of switching between amps/cab settings. I can't imagine using more than 3-4 different pairings. I've seen a lot of discussion here about saving settings, etc. downloading tones, etc. and that all sounds way beyond me. Can you just reach over and switch from amp/cab ____ to amp/cab ____ and adjust tone, bass, etc. to your liking?

Yes you can adjust manually like with any standard bass rig, but if you can push the save button twice in a row, you can save a patch.

The bean is the smallest and lightest table version - not floor not rack mount.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

unless I mistaken, running the podxt in bi-amp mode yields modeled output through the DI output and adds some cool other tweaks to the process.

13. yo,
    i have a small (kinda releted) question;

i've been offered the the live version for 150£. Still boxed, still got the manual etc.

would anyone recommend i go for this?

14. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    YES! the Live is the only way to go if you dont have one of a MIDI board to change patches in the middle of a set.

15. cheers for the reply :)
    i dunno if it'd be used live (which is weird since its the LIVE. . )

i like my sansamp to much. unless the pod could work with it? :confused:

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I would suggest running it into a power amp then into your cab(s).

I don’t have a power amp. I plan on running it into the power amp portion of my GK 700.

[[The "Huge 360" patch sounds just like an Acoustic 360.

Patch? You mean the 360 model?

[[read the manual..I know I know it goes against everything a male thinks..

LOL! Well actually I’m one of those males that does ask for directions. The problem with manuals is that I rarely understand them.

[[I also suggest turning off cabinet modeling if your tone seems a bit too muddy. The cab models add extra equalization that throws off the natural voice of your cabinet.

Ok I’ll keep that in mind.

[[Also don't forget the DI blend. It's incredibly useful and often overlooked.

(This is where Pedro reveals his tech ignorance.) DI blend?

[[yeah I dont use the cab models either.. but I do use the two modeled output trick since I run 2 seperate cabs. Two do that just grab a 1/4 adapter and stick it in the phones jack then both outputs become modeled versus modeled and DI. Also the way I do it, is I run the phones output since its a modeled output as well to my tuner works like a charm. You essentially have 3 modeled outputs if ya think about it.

Whoosshhh!! (The sound of stuff going over pedro’s head.)

[[i've been offered the the live version for 150£.

What is the ‘live’ version?

[[you can usually get it for 169.99

Thanks unclejam – do you know what amp models are included?

17. Matt in Jerzey

Matt in Jerzey

Feb 3, 2007
    The DI blend adds clean bass signal to your modeled signal. It's a blend between processed and unprocessed signal thats useful for cleaning up a tone or simply making the signal stronger.

18. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    Pedro,
    Next time you have get to go demo the podXT I highly suggest that you ask to see the manual. It is by far the most interesting and (dare I say it) funny user manual I've ever encountered. And by reading it you see they searched high and low for the authentic amps/cabs they modeled...they even went so far as to find the original tubes that came with the amps, not settling for the russian made replacement tubes found today.

Read the book. It's really amazing.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Pedro, Next time you have get to go demo the podXT I highly suggest that you ask to see the manual.

They did provide the manual but obviously, I didn't get a chance to settle in and read it. All I got a chance to do was look at the section dealing w/ the amp/cab.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021