Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

ibanezcollector is correct, however, the pod will revert back to studio direct mode rather than "live w/horn or livew/o horn. In bi-amp mode, the model output send the "highs" signal and the DI output sends the "lows" signal. If you still want to send a signal to FOH, you would have to do it pre-pod. Not too big of a deal, although you could not mute to tune and obviously you could not send a modeled signal to the FOH if you wanted to.

I agree that the poweramp set up is the way to go. I like the bean version along with the FBV shortboard. The shortboard is much more visible than the XT Live board and easier to hit the buttons.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have got the guitar version and added the bass expansion pack. The guitar version has more support and firmware upgrades. IMHO and YMMV.

2. You can download the manual from the Line 6 website. You have to register but it takes about 30 seconds.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    just a couple more vids since im having a blast recording direct an syncing it to video, to bad I suck hahaha but im learning

Ampeg SVT

4. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    gotcha. it seems like many of your concerns/questions can be found in that awesome little book.

let us know if ya pick one up!

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I agree that the poweramp set up is the way to go.

Why?

[[let us know if ya pick one up!

As they say ‘round here, ‘Ya betcha!’

6. CElton

Because then you don't get the coloration of the bass head that you are using. You will get more of amp modeling sound you want to hear with clean power.

I never use the cabinet modeling through a live rig. I only use cabinet modeling when using In Ear Monitors(IEM). I have used the cab modeling when not running a stage rig and going through the side fills/stage wedges and it sounds very good. I like the DB750, Mesa Boogie, Eden, and Fender Bassman amp models along with the Tube 47 mic for some warmth. You can also add some tube echo with little to no echo and that adds some nice warmth as well.

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Because then you don't get the coloration of the bass head that you are using. You will get more of amp modeling sound you want to hear with clean power.

Ok forgive my ignorance but I’m under the impression that there is a way I can plug in and only use the power section of the head.

8. 3. I'm seriously considering buying one of these but as I stated above I'm a zero when it comes to technical things. And as I said, I'd only be interested in the amp/cab stuff. Is there a good (less expensive) alternative?

Someone mentioned the Beheringer Vamp PRO, it is a rack mount that is similar to the POD.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.behringer.com/LX1-B-PRO/index.cfm?lang=eng
    It does run for about $169 US at music123.com.

I don't have one but have read other peoples comments that as an amp/cab simulator it is very comparable.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Someone mentioned the Beheringer Vamp PRO, it is a rack mount that is similar to the POD.

Yea I saw that on another thread but it doesn't have but one of the amp models I'd be interested in so I don't think it would be a good deal for me.

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Does anybody know what amp/cab models were included in the older non XT versions?

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    1970's and 1st half of 80's:
    OleManRivers1980s3.jpg

Now:
    Line6.jpg

Indeed, the models get REAL close if you tweak them and run into a full range system(FOH, power amp-> cabinets for stage). Being in an original/cover band, I use about 8 primary patches. One song gets a total change(bassy 360 to clean SVT with Jet Flanger) in a quiet part. Only complaints: gotta tip-toe sometimes, guest singers love to step on it in songs if using your mic, lack of stereo output....

The Behringer bean has some qualities that are also good esp. the tube preamp sim. Mainly used now for practice and recording.
    MyWoodshedFx2.jpg
    It IS fragile(controls & jacks solder directly to circuit board) and can be noisy on extreme settings.

Both worth the $$$.

12. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    www.line6.com

Has all the info you want.

You should just buy one. They are not that expensive.

13. CElton

14. CElton

Hey Johnny, do you run into a DI from the XT Live and if so, what kind are you using?

Thanks...Chris

15. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Johnny if you stick a 1/4" adapter in the headphone out it will turn both the DI out and the Modeled out to Modeled in sense being stereo :)

I also had the Behringer V-Amp Pro rackmount and its no where near as nice as the PodXT the Behringer is extremely noisy and its the models that are noisey not the unit like there was a hiss present when they modeled them and modeled the hiss as well.. I Sold it cause it would drive me nuts.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the original pod (not xt) requires the software for deep ediiting. You can do all editing on the xt. Even though you've indicated you only want the amps/cabs - that will change. I'm not sure what L6 calls deep editing either. Just the mic and room size makes a big difference in the cab models.

If cost is a concern, you might think about the Vamp for starters. You can pick a used one up for about $50. Will cost you about 4 times that for a bean. Basically I've heard it's not bad just doesn't have the range of the L6. Seems the editing is limited. You almost can't have too much editing especially given your narrow range of current interest. Editing can create a lot of crossover in the tones. I wouldn't get too hung up on presents or absence of a given model. For starters it will grow old in time and just because a tone doesn't cop it doesn't it's not the preferred tone.

You basically want one of two things in such a unit: tons of sound options with little editing or fewer options with lots of editing. Either way gives you a broad variety of sounds without getting buried in the complexity.

Also check out the Podxt Advice thread in this forum.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Not yet but....

I've ordered a spare rig-in-a-box(SansAmp BDDI) as I've had my Line 6 get wet once at a gig & had to run direct into a BOSE PAS. Not a pleasant experience.

We haven't done a "REALLY BIG SHOW" with FOH yet(bass, drums, guitar, & lead singer each with their own BOSE PAS) but do have an opener in August with FOH so I'm looking. I've a small rack with a SansAmpRBI & DBX 166 dual channel that may get used(both or just the dbx to split & tame a "modeled" output to the FOH). The dbx can be used to safely split the line level out into 2....and provide isolation between the two systems.

18. CElton

Cool...I am looking at getting a Groove Tubes Ditto to run behind the POD for FOH.

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I bought the PODxt and was very frustrated with it initially as to fully utilize ALL of the modeling and effect settings, I would have had to quit my job or take a week off at least!

Having said that, after spending maybe 2 hours with the POD and my Lakland, Bongo, Jazz, SUB and Ibanez 5er, I now have about a dozen models that I use (3 or 4 are used regularly) and it sounds great. I find that most amp models sound best without a cabinet model.

Once my models were set, I haven't touched the setting since.

One word of advice... the shortboard footswitch is useless IMO as it is pretty difficult to cycle through the different effects and models while playing. Save the $300!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021