Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Agreed that the shortboards are not cheap, but I find it very useful for tuning and volume control on the fly. To be honest, I don't change the "channels" that often. I have about 6-8 that I use alot, so they are very easy to access. I used the edit software to put them on the first 8 channels. Very easy to move back and forth. The display is much larger on the board than the pod and much easier to see especially in low light or bright conditions.

This is just my opinion...YMMV.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[You can and it's not ignorant. You just don't get as much raw clean power doing it that way.

Thanks.

[[the original pod (not xt) requires the software for deep ediiting. You can do all editing on the xt. Even though you've indicated you only want the amps/cabs - that will change. I'm not sure what L6 calls deep editing either. Just the mic and room size makes a big difference in the cab models.

Slow down big guy- I’m old and easily confused. I play mostly oldies – r&b, soul and some pop/rock from the 60-70’s. Accordingly, I’m really just interested in the possibility of being able to switch to the appropriate amp. Doing Motown, I might just switch to the Fliptop, doing Beatles the Vox gets the nod, etc. I don’t think I’m going to want much in the way off effects and if I can save some $$ I’d like to. So I’m considering purchasing an earlier version (non XT) off ebay.

[[Once my models were set, I haven't touched the setting since.

Bingo that’s where ideally I’d like to end up.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I had the original bass pod about the time the xt was introduced. Don’t know if it was the timing or what but I wasn’t impressed and sent it packing. Never even bothered to load the software. After having a V bass (which is one complex piece) I decided to try the pod again figuring it became popular for a reason. Again it didn’t strike me as much but I finally started messing with it and the more I did the more I liked it. A lot simpler than the V bass and you didn’t need software for the xt deep editing. You can get an original pod for under a $100 - in fact an xt sold last week for a rare $112 shipped BIN with all the goods.

One thing that’s cool about the pod is you can push no buttons or push them all. I’m an old guy too and I constantly revise the patches. Seems most guys don’t use the amp/cabs but each amp and cab yield different tones - some subtle some not but all noticeably different which to me is a goldmine.

For a given patch I shut everything down except amps/cabs and get a basic tone I like then skim through all the amps, find the amp of choice then skim through all the cabs for the cab of choice, adjust the cab parameters then hit save. Then play to tunes tweaking as I see fit, maybe running through the amps and cabs again. Solo tone and tone to tune aren’t the same animals and each amp or cab may yield an edge for one tune or another. Once I get a tone that works decent to a broad spectrum then I go through all the effects adding one to taste in Stomp, Mod, and Delay. Go back to the tunes with effects off and kick them on one at a time to see how they work and tweak some more along the way.

In the end I’ve got a nice clean patch that works well to a spectrum of genres that I can layer with effects adding or pulling them as I see fit - just by pushing a button.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    luknfur if I buy one will you come over and show me how to use it?

[[Seems most guys don’t use the amp/cabs

Really? I don't understand - isn't that the main purpose of the POD?

5. CElton

If you are running it through a cab, it just doesn't sound as good unless you have a full range front of house type cabinet. The main purpose of the Pod is really recording and that is its strong suit. I use it live, but I like the colouration of my cab, so I just use the amp modeling when running through a cab.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Believe me, if you can post in a forum, you can use a pod. Tweaking to get exceptional tones is a different matter and a lot of luck short of really knowing how a piece works and what makes for a good tone.

Like I said, a cool thing about the pod is you can plug and play or tweak till you drop. Some guys just use them for a DI or the overdrive pre (Sans cop) and that's fine too.

7. TuckLM

TuckLM

Apr 4, 2005
    Pedro, a few questions:

1. Are you thinking about going without a stage amp?

2. If you keep your amp, are you filling the room with it or are you using it more as personal monitor?

3. If you are technologically challenged, have you considered something like the Sansamp 3 channel BDDI?

4. Are you willing to put in the time to learn how to tweak the pod? That usually means going back and forth between home and stage until you get what you want and annoying wife, kids and scaring the dog.

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I use it live, but I like the colouration of my cab, so I just use the amp modeling when running through a cab.

If I understand what you guys are saying its that if you use the amp and cab modeling thru a cab it tends to get muddy. But if you use the amp modeling w/out a cab than it works ok. The cab selection works good when going thru the PA.

[[Pedro, a few questions:

My responses follow.

1. Are you thinking about going without a stage amp?

No. I’m really just getting back into playing and am in the beginning stages of putting 2 projects together.

2. If you keep your amp, are you filling the room with it or are you using it more as personal monitor?

Like I said above we haven’t started playing out. My guess we will play smaller venues in which case I suspect my GK 700 will be enough.

3. If you are technologically challenged, have you considered something like the Sansamp 3 channel BDDI?

I have it but I like the idea of being able to dial in amp/cab models that were part of the style of music we play.

4. Are you willing to put in the time to learn how to tweak the pod? That usually means going back and forth between home and stage until you get what you want and annoying wife, kids and scaring the dog.

No dog and pretty much everything I do annoys the wife so there’s no reason not to tinker w/ it. I accept that I may end up getting frustrated and give up but that’s why I’m interested in picking up an older model for less money.

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I would just like to know that the older POD’s operate the same as the XT.

10. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Hey Pedro

I tried a pod xt--the cheapest one, whatever that is--in my quest to get a "b-15 only louder" tone. I tweaked the heck out of it at home, then took it on a gig where I ran it into a power amp and a genz benz neox 2x12 cab

I ended up really not liking it. It was a pain to adjust, I found, especially live. The interface was irritating. And for me--and maybe this is not everybody's experience--the tone tended to vanish in the live mix. I assume this is because the samples are of a B-15 in a room, by itself, and in a real live room, with other instruments, that sound wasn't effective. And it was hard for me to adjust easily. I used it for one set and part of a second, then gave up and took it back to GC.

I'm a simple guy--I rarely use eq other than what's on my bass, no effects. It had way too much junk on it I didn't need, and the junk got in the way of what I want, which is pretty much "plug in and start playing." Maybe if you spent time really learning how it works, but why bother when there's other gear that sounds good out of the box?

On the other hand, for recording I've been really pretty happy with--and this will probably seem crazy to some people--a Korg Ampworks bass modeler I got on ebay for 40 bucks. It's smaller, much easier to use, and I like the samples better. I liked it so much I went back on ebay and got the guitar modeler for another 40 bucks.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    PB&J did you try any other models besides the B15? Even though that was one of the amps I was most interested in I found that it was among the ones I liked less. That kind of surprised me but on the other hand I used to own a B18 and don't recall ever thinking that they were all that great. I thought the 360 and Dual Showman sounded fantastic.

Tell me more about the Korg. Does it have amp models in it too? If so, which ones?

12. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Pedro:

I tried some of the others briefly--the SVT, the Showman. The Showman has never worked for me, too much mid-cut.

The Korg has two SVTs, a silverface Bassman, a polytone, an SWR, an Acoustic, an eden, a marshall and a vox AC100. The ones I like best are the AC100 and the polytone, I think. It has a bunch of cab sims too, and they work on analog dials which is really easy

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    That's interesting PB&J - found what I thought was a manual but it didn't seem to have those amps you mentioned. I'll PM you some additional questions.

14. Matt in Jerzey

Matt in Jerzey

Feb 3, 2007
    The whole thing about the pod is you NEED to put time into it to get the tone you really want. Do NOT expect the preset patches to sound good at all, they don't, only a few. It is best to start with a clean slate and build onto it. Try different amps and effects, but remember it can sound like just about anything. Time is important, everyones setup is different, no two basses sound alike.

As far as operating like the old POD, the XT operates about 25 percent like the old model. It's deep editing abilities make it worth the extra 75-100 bucks you'll need to shell out. Trust me, if you go cheap you'll end up wishing you got the XT version.

15. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Pedro:

I'm talking about a discontinued model, the "ampworks bass," and it has thos amp sims but under code names, to avoid copyright infringement. So it says "jazz" for the polytone" and "silver" for the bassman, "goldpanel" for the Eden, "LA Stud" for the SWr, etc.

Maybe, it's just I don't want to invest that much time in messing with the pod--it ought to make it as easy as possible for me, not require me to tear it down and rebuild it. I'd rather spend the time learning to play better.

I've seen guitar players make the same argument about amps like the fender cyber twin--that the presets sound bad and you need to rebuild the patches, but when you do it'll sound great. Why not just buy a twin and sound great right of the bat? If you like doing tweaking the patches, more power to you--I can see how it'd be fun and rewarding if you get it right.

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks Matt. I'll keep in mind the time for tweaking, however, I already ordered a used one at about 50% of what the new XT goes for. You're probably right about my ending up regretting it but we'll have to wait and see.

BTW, is there a way to hook things up so that you can play along with an MP3 file from your computer and listen and play thru the POD/headphones?

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [I'm talking about a discontinued model,

How would I know which one is the discontinued model?

18. CElton

The one you are considering buying is the discontinued model. It is called the Bass Pod. The newer version is the Bass PodXT.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    PB&J which one is the Acoustic and Fliptop?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021