Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    "classic" is acoustic and "studio" is the fliptop

2. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    "Rock Classic" is the '74 SVT; "Huge 360" is the Acoustic 360; and "Fliptop" is the the B-15 in the Bass POD XT Live.

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [["classic" is acoustic and "studio" is the fliptop

Thanks my friend. If I get frustrated w/ the Line 6 and still want to pursue this I'll sell it and pick one up if I can find one.

4. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    Guys, which one is better in your opinion, POD XT Pro or POD Pro? I am actually an electric guitar player and some people find POD XT more "digital" sounding than POD for guitar, maybe the same thing counts for the bass version too?

5. Matt in Jerzey

Matt in Jerzey

Feb 3, 2007
    BTW, is there a way to hook things up so that you can play along with an MP3 file from your computer and listen and play thru the POD/headphones?

Pedro, you can absolutely do this. With the XT version. The computer recognizes the Bass Pod XT as a sound card and mixes the MP3 audio from your computer through it. So I use it with headphones and play all night. Thats where the USB port comes into play. The standard Bass Pod does not have this option. Maybe you can hook it up through midi or use a headphone mixer?

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[The computer recognizes the Bass Pod XT as a sound card and mixes the MP3 audio from your computer through it. So I use it with headphones and play all night. Thats where the USB port comes into play.

Sweet.

[[The standard Bass Pod does not have this option. Maybe you can hook it up through midi or use a headphone mixer?

I'll have to look into it.

7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I believe this can be done with the Guitar Port accessory that would need to be purchased seperately.

8. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    just get the XT everything else is going to pale in comparision and then your going to be stuck trying to sell it, lose some money, and then buy the PodXT anyways.

Nothing compares to the XT Ive had them all.. Trust me, dont waste money the way I did trying to do it the cheap way, it costs 3x more in the long run..

:)

9. CElton

+1

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I'm on my 2nd PodXT. I'm still not sure about it. I like it at home, but I seem to get disappointed in it live. I tend to use one or two preamps, no effects, some compression, and no cab modeling. It works GREAT at church where I play through a nice full range PA with my own monitor mix. I believe this is the ideal stiuation for a Pod.

I always trade gear so I thought maybe if i had a bunch of preamps at my disposal, I'd be happy. I still haven't given up, but it is for sale at any time unless I have a revelation.

I am trying to make it work through my current amp which is - I think - part of the problem, but I can't afford a power amp and cab right now to try it that way. I run my amp as flat as I can and get soem nice sounds but they get lost when I crank it. Probably because my combo isn't powerful enough on it's own. I ordered a powered 15" cab to augment it. Maybe that will help.

I want the Pod to work for me. I like the compressor, tuner, preamp all in one.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks folks. As I indicated above I already ordered a used Line 6 BassPOD. Its not the XT and while I may end up regretting my decision I just couldn't bring myself to spend $300 on the XT. I'm only interested in the amp/modeling (and only about 4 of those) not the effects and this seems to have it. It appears to have the same controls as the XT for adjusting the amp/cab selected. I'm sure there are other refinements to the XT but I'm just a weekend warrior with soon to have 2 kids in college so I've got to watch my purchases somewhat.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I thought I’d post an update on my Line 6 experience so far. I’ve had the Line 6 a couple of weeks. I’ve taken it to a couple of practices although the first one was the day after it arrived and I wasn’t able to do anything useful with it. This past weekend though I got some time to sit and systematically go thru the amp/model pre-settings for with both my jazz and p basses. FWIW, I have a 64 jazz bass w. round wounds and a 66 p bass w/ TI flats. I set up an excel spreadsheet marking each useful tone (to me) I found in the following amp models (pre-sets A-D/1-9). – 360, Bassman, Jazz and Fliptop. After I did so, and had some time to think about it I found it curious that there were similarities to almost all the tones I found attractive. They all seemed to have a certain (for lack of a better term) burpiness to them. (When I get home for lunch and have access to my settings I will post them for purposes of discussion.) In the meantime, I will say that I enjoyed myself at practice last night and I think the POD was at least partially successful. I mainly confined my selections to the ‘jazz-Acoustic-fliptop’ and of the three seemed to stay mostly with one Fliptop selection. (This may be partially a result of the music we play (r&b/soul) and my desire to see how the amp most identified with that style fit into the mix.) I regret we didn’t have enough time for me to try all the settings w/ both basses but our practice time is limited. I would also have loved to be able to listen to this with another bass player playing for the sake of distance and objectivity in the band mix. I intend to poll the rest of the band, although I suspect all but one probably could care less what I bring.

13. I think you'll find you're going to be pretty happy. I had the V-amp Pro, and it had all the drawbacks mentioned already, plus a decided "hitch" when switching patches (a moment of silence for the now departed patch?) and the pedalboard for it is a nightmare if you're not a MIDI programming guy. (The FCB pedalboard is not ready to use with the V-amp "outta the box")
    The Pod sounds better, is easier, and more flexible. Enjoy.
    Anyone wanna buy a V-amp? LOL.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I think you'll find you're going to be pretty happy.

Its still early but I did have fun last night.

[[Anyone wanna buy a V-amp? LOL.

LOL!

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    As promised here are the selections of tones I've found useful so far. It would be interesting to know what other's are finding useful. I realize I am at the embryo stages of tweaking and experimenting but its fun.

Precision Jazz
    AMP MODEL # Selection # Selection

Fliptop 9 D 2 B
    3 C 2 C
    8 D 3 C
    9 D

Jazz 9 C 2 B
    1 A 2 C
    3 D 9 D
    9 D

360 1 A 1 A
    2 B 1 D
    2 C 2 A
    3 A 3 C
    4 D 3 D
    5 B

Bassman 2 C 1 D
    4 D 2 C
    8 C
    9 D 9 D

Motor 2 B
    2 C
    3 C
    9 D

SVT 2 C
    3 D
    9 D

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Oh boy gotta remember to use the 'preview post' button first. I guess the spreadsheet doesn't lend itself for posting here in a 'cut and paste' manner.

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Let me try again. These are the jazz bass settings I found useful. I'll get to the p bass later but as I said before, I never 'round to using the p bass at band practice. They don't really line up but I think you can make out whats going on.

Jazz
    AMP MODEL # Selection

Fliptop 2 B
    2 C
    3 C
    9 D

Jazz 2 B
    2 C
    9 D

360 1 A
    1 D
    2 A
    3 C
    3 D

Bassman 1 D
    2 C

9 D

Motor

SVT

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Actually, it would be surprising if the patches DIDN'T sound similar. Your ears and you just got the unit so not much time. Also, as a group the stock patches sound much alike. A plus is that patches that sound very similar solo may play VERY different to a given tune - which really is the only way to check them out unless it's for solo play.

Which brings to mind,

limited experience but consistent results indicate pod patches don't translate well to other players. Whether it's gear, taste, application, or limited exhange I don't know. The V bass seemed the same way.

There is some consistency in terms of models players find appealing and maybe even some of the stock patches, but it doesn't seem to narrow down much beyond that.

Anybody have quite a bit of experience with either swapping patches or finding ones off the L6 library useful as is?

19. you can delete posts...
    and you can also attach Excel spreadsheets

20. CElton

I have found a couple off of the L6 library that were useful. I found an Upright sound that is very close that comes in handy now and then.

The best way to search on L6 is hook up to Line6 Edit and actually put the patch on your Bod. Play around with it and if you like the patch, save it to a file and synch it.

Most of my patches are mine and usually different variations of each other.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021