Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Actually, it would be surprising if the patches DIDN'T sound similar.

I think you are correct. I was surprised at first but after some thought realized that we all have certain preferences and even if we’re skipping from amp to amp we’ll probably still be looking to tune in the sound we like. In my case I think this tendency might be amplified (pun intended) because I was trying to emulate the original bass sounds on the tracks we were covering (at least to my ears).

[[A plus is that patches that sound very similar solo may play VERY different to a given tune - which really is the only way to check them out

I agree which makes waiting for the next opportunity to try it out with musicians very difficult.

[[imited experience but consistent results indicate pod patches don't translate well to other players. Whether it's gear, taste, application, or limited exhange I don't know. The V bass seemed the same way.

Not sure I’m following you on this.

[[There is some consistency in terms of models players find appealing and maybe even some of the stock patches, but it doesn't seem to narrow down much beyond that.

Between players I agree but am curious if other POD users found themselves drawn to similar sounds from different models.

[[Anybody have quite a bit of experience with either swapping patches or finding ones off the L6 library useful as is?

I haven’t gotten to the stage of downloading patches. I know the opportunity exist – is it free? Would love to know more about it and how it works. Is there some thumbnail preview of what the patch is about, etc.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[you can delete posts...
    and you can also attach Excel spreadsheets

Thanks Sean I didn’t know that.

[[Most of my patches are mine and usually different variations of each other.

So you appear to be drawn to a similar bass sound vs. widely varying sounds.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Coping a bass tone is no easy feat. In fact, if I'd been L6 I probably would have had 20 or so of the factory presets as cops of popular players. Seems an obvious thing to do to me but apparently not cause no such animals on the V bass presets either.

To clarify, in my limited experience of swapping patches, a patch one player has created that works for him doesn't seem to work similarly well for others.

You can get in the ballpark by recording your bands songs and playing to them - or using the original covers to play to if it's an accurate cop.

The L6 library access is free. There are instructions...... somewhere :D It's basically the same process you use for upgrades except it's an single download instead of bulk (that's in the manual I know). I guess you can screen them but I was thinking you had to download them - been a while.

Don't know who this is directed to but: No, similar sounds aren't of particular interest, they're just pretty much required. In fact I like to play with coping other insturments - sax, whatever. What I like most is very different sounds that will still play to a typical bassline. The V bass was a better tool for different sounding patches, bass and otherwise. The pod is a better tool for more typical basslines. Both units can do both but one does the other more effectively in my experience, for starters the V Bass is polyphonic for synth patches - and otherwise.

4. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[To clarify, in my limited experience of swapping patches, a patch one player has created that works for him doesn't seem to work similarly well for others.

Even if what you like the patch?

[[You can get in the ballpark by recording your bands songs and playing to them - or using the original covers to play to if it's an accurate cop.

The latter is how I learn and practice the tunes we cover. But I’m not so sure that what happens in a small room playing to an MP3 and what happens in a roomful of old geezer trying to recreate a song translates all that evenly.

[[Don't know who this is directed to but: No, similar sounds aren't of particular interest, they're just pretty much required.

Can you elaborate? Required how? By whom?

[[I like very different sounds that will still play to a typical bassline. The V bass was a better tool for different sounding patches, bass and otherwise. The pod is a better tool for more typical basslines.

Well if I understand you than I would guess that the Line 6 was the right choice for me, as I think I play pretty typical bass lines.

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[In fact, if I'd been L6 I probably would have had 20 or so of the factory presets as cops of popular players.

That would've been interesting.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I would put money on that.

The V bass is no introductory piece. About like a DI compared to a 747 cockpit. Took me months just to learn the parameters. A number of them are redundant which complictes things early on - and is a benefit once you have it down.

There is no bean or rack version of the V bass, just a live version.

The V bass cost considerably more.

The V bass manual explains controls and that's it. No tips like the pod manual.

There's no direct computer link with the V bass like there is with the pod. I recorded clips into the computer almost from day one, never did on the V bass.

That's just off the top of my head.

7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Not at all. What I meant by they are mostly mine is that I just dumped the factory patches which to me were mostly useless. I started from scratch and set up my own with the EQ set the way I like. I have most of my patches named after the amp they are modeling. If I want a Mesa Boogie sound, I use that. If I want an Aggy DB750, I go with that. All sound different.

It's a beautiful thing...

8. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I've had my Bass Pod Xt Live for almost a year now. I've been using it as my main rig since I first got it. My signal path is bass-POD-DI-power amp- 4x10. I set up my live models with no cabinet models turned on, since in not using a full range speaker system. It has been very usable in this configuation, but has several drawbacks. One I've encountered is what I think your expecting, limited ability to EQ the system to the room and the DI to FOH does not have cabinet modeling in the signal. Because of these problems I think a better way is to have a full range speaker system with DSP to EQ for different rooms and setup the models with full Amp/Cabinet combinations. This seems like a logical step for me, I'm hoping to start implementing this system soon.
    Bill

9. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Bill I just got started w/ a used POD. I'm not a very technical person so I'm afraid I didn't really follow much of what you're saying.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

one thing that continues to urk me about the pods is I can't keep their variations straight.

Seems there was a fix for that in Effects Pod Advice thread. Splitting cable or something. But I'm guessing you've been there and would know it if so.

---------
    Pedro

In a nutshell I think he's saying the EQ'ing of the pod is lacking to adequately adjust it to room acoustics and that PA type cabs are more optimal for using the modeling.

11. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    You can get "Model" on both outputs, or "Model' and "DI".
    But I haven't been able to get "Model w/ Cabinet" on one and "Model no Cab" on the other. I'd love to know , if there is a way.
    not so much that it's lacking, but if you want to EQ for the room you have to edit each model's EQ and then save it.I want to EQ my system for the current room and not have edit my models. I think outboard EQ is the way to go here.
    Bill

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[not so much that it's lacking, but if you want to EQ for the room you have to edit each model's EQ and then save it.I want to EQ my system for the current room and not have edit my models. I think outboard EQ is the way to go here.

Thanks Bill - that I understood, although, I'm a long ways from that point.

13. CElton

With the Bean version, you can put a 1/4" jack into the headphone input and it will turn the DI out into a modled out. It just gives you two modeled outputs but when you do this is defaults to "Studio Direct" mode. I just split the signal with a DI if I want a wet signal to the rig and FOH.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Okay, now I recall the question in the pod advice thread. That's not going to happen using a single pod to my knowledg.

Yeh the V bass had a global EQ for acoustics but I don't know how effective it was. The Presonus EQ3B can be had for under $100 and is a nice little piece but it could be a DSP unit would suit the pod better. But the EQ3B seemed to work quite well with the V Bass and it's digital. Set it and forget it.

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm curious - those of you who use the POD for amp modeling, which amps are you finding yourself using the most? I'm also curious if your bandmates have had any comments?

16. CElton

I use the GK800(Eighties) the Mesa Boogie(California) the Aggie DB750(Jaguar) and the Eden WT300(Adam and Eve). When running through in-ears I will add cabinet modeling. If running through my rig, I only use amp models.

17. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    All modern stuff. Hmm interesting. Do you use any of the presets?

18. CElton

I do use some of the vintage amps like the Sunn or the Marshall Plexi from time to time, but I never use any of the factory presets. As a matter of fact, there are not any factory presets left on my BodXT. Oh, and I do like the Ampeg B15 patch I have...forgot about that one.

19. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    OP1964 what kind of music do you play?

[Oh, and I do like the Ampeg B15 patch I have...forgot about that one.

Would love to hear it.

20. CElton

I play Blues/Rock and I have recently been hired to play for a Singer/Songwriter out of Nashville. I don't have anything recorded to post here, but might be able to get some clips posted soon from some demos that were just cut.

I might also add that the Tube Preamp setting is very good on a 4 string. It loses a little something on the B string in my opinion.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021