Pedro's Line 6 Bass POD XT thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pedro, May 20, 2007.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    This may be a repeat, so forgive:

I have a 1999 Ampeg SVT Classic AV head w/ KT88s. I use the Classic 810 cab.

I'm currently using a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live, using the SVT setting, called "Classic Rock." I edit the settings according to the room. I bypass the preamp on the Classic (which is way too dirty and toneless IMHO) and go straight into the power tubes. You can cop ANY Ampeg sound recorded or live you've ever heard with the Line 6. Line 6 makes GREAT stuff, but you need to be patient and tweak things. You can also get the tone you want at any volume this way.

Massive rich bass tone to die for. The first time I gigged this setup, I pooped my pants!!! :hyper:

Anyone else using Line 6 with a tube amp?

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I am using a straight power amp with the POD as a pre and I love the results. The dream set up for me would be bass>PodXT>GT Brick>FOH and/or stage rig. I have heard guys using this set up and it sounds AWSOME. The tube DI just livens up the tone that much more.

I have a GT Brick savings fund...:D

3. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[I don't have anything recorded to post here, but might be able to get some clips posted soon from some demos that were just cut.

OP1964, let me know if and when you do.

[[I might also add that the Tube Preamp setting is very good on a 4 string.

Yea I’ve messed w/ it a bit.

[[The first time I gigged this setup, I pooped my pants!!!

LOL!

[[The dream set up for me would be bass>PodXT>GT Brick>FOH and/or stage rig.

OP1964, in English please? (Pedro not a blond but understands like one.)

4. CElton

The Groove Tubes Brick is a tube DI. Sending the Pod's signal through the Brick prior to going to the board or an amp will really warm it up or take the digital edge off. Don't get me wrong, the Pod on it's own sounds pretty good, but you can't do anything but help it running through the Brick. Also, in my case, running through a DI helps me send a modeled signal to both my amp and front of house.

Tubes Good!!!:bassist: :D

5. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Thanks.

6. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I find myself using the Ampeg Fliptop and Jazz the most. So far I mainly use the pre-set 9D on both and they have a similar sound (to my ears). I’ve also been surprised at how much I like a couple of the Bassman settings. Honestly, I had one of these back in the day and never had any interest in going back but there are some nice sounds there that seem appropriate to the style I play.

7. CElton

Double Show is also nice. Honestly, I find the tweaking kind of fun and enjoy being able to radically change my tone with a stomp of my foot. Ain't technology grand???

8. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    [[Double Show is also nice.

??? I don't think I have that.

9. CElton

Might be one of the upgrades on the XT version. It's a Fender Dual Showman.

10. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yea I don't have a Dual Showman but do remember really liking it when I tried the XT.

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yesterday I found some more pre-sets w/ the SVT that I liked on my p bass which rather surprised me as I've never been a big fan of the SVT. Still haven't really found any that I like w/ the jazz bass.

There are about 4 settings on the 360 that I like for p/j basses.

12. CElton

Try creating your own patches. Do you have the Line 6 Edit software? It's not needed, but makes it quite a bit easier.

13. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I don't have the software. I've not finished reading the manual - is something I can download? I'm really not a very technical person so I'm concerned that I'd be buying something over my head.

14. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

can't remember but it sounds like you have the original pod not the xt. The original came with software cause you needed it to do deep editing. The xt didn't come with software cause itwill do anything the software version does in terms of parameter adjustments.

You can download the software with the xt from line 6 free, don't know about the original. I don't think you can cross load patches between the xt and original but I don't know(like load the dual showman into the original).

15. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    According to the manual I'm supposed to have a CD but I don't think I got it. I'll drop the seller a note and see if I'm supposed to have it.

16. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Do you guys have a system or method for creating your own patches?

17. CElton

I just start with a clean slate. I pick the amp model I want to use. I decide if I want a cab with it or not. If I want a cab, I will generally go through all of the cabs to see which one I like. The 8x10 does not necessarily sound the best with the SVT head in my opinion. Then I will decide which mic and EQ to taste. I will add effects if I want them.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I gaurantee the original pod came with software. Seems there was a pocket inside the cover but I really don't remember. Did you get the USB cord?

If you don't have those two things then don't bank on getting them from the seller cause they are useless for anything else so if he knew where they were at the time he would have included them.

Pretty sure I've already mentioned my approach but it's basically the same as OP1964 except I haven't mess with the EQ beyond toggling it on or off.

I get a good clean patch to amp/cab then tweak one effect at a time to suit taste so that I get a pallette of useable tones from a single patch that builds hitting a button at a time.

19. CElton

The Para EQ can really make a big difference. Add some 500-800 hz and then a little 1.5khz and it really fattens some of the patches up. I will then use the knobs on the front to fine tune if needed.

20. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Since I don't appear to have it I just start w/ an amp model and begin tweaking and fussing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021