Pedula, should I or not??? Somebody help me, please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just got back from Guitar Center to pick up a gig bag and some strings and what was sitting there taunting me was a Pedula RP-4. I had to give it a spin since I had never seen one. Nobody in these part sell them. Well they want 6 large without case for it. Does this seem like a fair price. I don't know what the list is on these so I in the dark here. Please somebody help me!!

It's a single Barolini which I would prefer a two pickups and of course it is active. I couldn't really get an idea of what styles this bass would be good for because the store had Slipknot or Backstreet boys blaring throughout the store. The thing played like a dream, though and was extremely light weight. It did have some road wear but not bad.

So if anyone can give me some guidance on this. I put it on 24 hour hold so I need to figure this out soon. I'll have to use the GC card since I'm broke but I don't want to miss out on this if it's a good deal.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, Jerry, this is not the bass for you. What you NEED is a Pedulla ThunderBass 5 fretless. I can fix you right up.

Actually, the current list price on the RB-4 is $2095 (their prices just went up). So 6 large (assuming a large is $100, not $1,000) sounds pretty danged good.

Check it out for yourself.

Also, Fedex tracking indicates your D-210XLT arrived in Portland at 11:37 a.m. today.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is that a Rapture 4 string? If not, I have never heard of it. If it is a Rapture 4 that is a decent price as long as it is not too dinged up. Typical price for these new was $950 - $1000 before the price increase that Munjibunga mentioned.

I play a Rapture J2 5 string, which I love. Great bass, great tone from the Bartolini pickups and preamp and soft maple body.

Does that bass look similar to this except for the fact that it is a 4 string and a single pickup model?

[Edited by embellisher on 11-30-2000 at 12:56 PM]
  4. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes it's the RB4 with the single Bart and rosewood fretboard. I'd think that if that was the original price then they should include the case in the deal. Wow! That's some price jump. Talk about inflation. If you could characterize the tone in something more familiar such as Music Man or ? I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the replies.
  5. embellisher

The prices on the Rapture series jumped this year for more reasons than inflation.

Pedulla has scaled back production, Michael himself is going back to taking a more active role in the manufacturing processes, they are aligning themselves a little more towards the higher end and they are now making the Rapture series(their entry level series) out of maple with more figuring and with birseye maple boards being a no extra charge option.

They are great basses, the only 5 string that I've played that I like more than my Rapture is a Lakland 55-94, which lists for twice as much, and I can't seem to find a used one for $1500 like Brad Johnson. :D
  6. embellisher

I forgot the most important thing of all - to answer your question!

Regarding the Bartolini humbucker, I have no experience with it.

There are a couple of people on the board with RB 5s, and probably others around here with these pickups.
  7. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of Pedulla basses on the whole. While they are well built and have nice components, I just don't feel the ones I've played had a distinct sound. The GC near me has a 5 string Thunderbolt for $2000, and a large 6 string Pedulla (I forget the make) for $2600. I've played both of them, and I like my fender 62RI more. I have played a couple Raptures. The five string with the two jazz pups was nice, but the B string was too quiet. A nice bass but for $1500 I passed. I did once play the Rapture with the one bart hum. It's a nice bass, I think very similiar to the upper end models, but I definitely prefer the 2 j pups. Way more flexible. I wouldn't say it sounds like a MM stingray at all though. It almost sounds p bass like to me.
    $600 is a good price, and if you dig the sound get it.

hey embellisher, what is the dominant paradigm?
  8. embellisher

There are lots of examples, but a few are:

Bass players only playing 4 stringers
    Most pop music
    Going with the crowd instead of being an individual
    Letting the government do our thinking for us because they know what is best
    Biased reporting in the media
  9. spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    I've had a RB4 with the single Bartolinni for about three years. I also have a 70 Precision, Keith Roscoe 4, and a fretless Jazz. If it helps you any, I play the Rapture most gigs because it plays better and is more versatile than the others. Don't worry about the single pickup, you can get a lot of sounds. The bottom is very tight and that's why I favor it. Don't put too much stock in anyone's opinion (including mine). If you like the sound, that's the most important thing. It is a very good price and Pedulla is one of the better manufacturers.
  10. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Jerry,
    I think the price is good enough where if you don't really like it after awhile, you could probably sell it for around what you paid. Play it some more, if it sounds good to you grab it and don't look back.

So embellisher, which one is the dominant paradigm and how do you plan to subvert it exactly?
  11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It's a done deal. I got the Perdooler (as Embellisher calls it). I just love a bass that's already broken in. This thing THUMPS! I just need to get a good feel for the controls and it's ready to rock. Fast neck, very light weight, NO DEAD SPOTS and sustain for days. The Bartolinguini is alot like a P bass on steroids. The E string has some serious power. Kind of like the B string on my Roscoe Beck. It's a force to reckon with. But the output is really even across all the strings. This bass seems like it is putting out more more sub-harmonics than most other basses. This must be courtesy of the Bartoluigi.

There certainly seems to be alot going on at the bottom. Homie don't do no slap and pop but the sales guy gave a little demonstration for my benefit and it seemed to be able to accomodate that style very well.

I did get the case for $90 and it's the correct case but it sure fits in there tight. If you have your head in the way when you loosen the latches it may decapitate you. They said that the foam need to form to the bass. We'll see about that but it sure seems pretty tight and I'm hoping that it doesn't warp that side of the case or screw up the hinge.

Thanks for all the great replies. You folks are the greatest.
  12. embellisher

Jerry J, the case for my 5 is the same way. Pedulla cases are the tightest that I've ever seen, they supposedly overpad them more than most cases to protect the bass, although IMHO if you put so much padding that the case is hard to close, that compresses the padding and makes it like there is no padding at all, but I don't think it's quite THAT overdone.

RS, :D - they are all dominant, I don't have any grand sweeping plans(;)) to overthrow 4 string basses, the government, the media or anything along those lines, I just want to encourage everybody to think for themselves, don't accept a thing at face value just because you are told that it is the truth, etc.

If we were more individualists, there would be very few dominant paradigms, but, let's face it, in this culture most people are followers or want to hang with the crowd.

I mean, look at people who get tattoos or piercings to be different and express themselves. Then when you see them with their friends, they ALL have multiple tattoos and piercings.

[Edited by embellisher on 12-01-2000 at 01:07 PM]
  13. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I recently sold my Rapture 4 here in Pittsburgh for $795, so $600 is an excellent price. I loved the bass (mine was exactly like the one you describe--the single Bart and rosewood board)in Planet Green. I'm going through a vintage phase and really wanted a Mike Lull Vintage 4, and I needed to sell the Rapture to fund the Lull. I favor maple boards and wanted the jazz pickup configuration, and when I bought the Rapture those options weren't being offered by Pedulla on this model. Tone? When I ordered it, sight unseen and sound unheard, the guy at the place I purchased it from out of state said it was like "a Stingray on steroids." I didn't really find that to be an apt description--the MusicMan has a sound all its own that I don't think the Rapture mimics. That said, the Rapture has its own sonic personality, amazingly full and authoritative for a bass with such a light, small bod. But I can only tell you that many people, from the guy who set it up to some other bassists who heard me play it, commented on it as being a very, very impressive bass. I think you'd be making a wise purchase. Good luck with it.